Mitchell Trubisky's Future

SmittyBacall

Another game with a few bad decisions, notably the INT in the red zone (though was preceded by a BS OPI call that took away a TD, so it shouldn't have happened, for multiple reasons), as well as a deep pass to Cohen which was a bad decision, but actually a well placed ball.  Additionally a few errant throws, notably missing an easy dump off pass to Howard early in the game, and missing Miller (?) in the middle of the field early on.  That being said, another game with a lot more good than bad, I was overall happy with his performance.  Very unfortunate that the defense let him down and howard had a costly redzone fumble that caused the game to be a loss.  Trubisky kept them in it from start to finish, which is all you can really ask.

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

Another game with a few bad decisions, notably the INT in the red zone (though was preceded by a BS OPI call that took away a TD, so it shouldn't have happened, for multiple reasons), as well as a deep pass to Cohen which was a bad decision, but actually a well placed ball.  Additionally a few errant throws, notably missing an easy dump off pass to Howard early in the game, and missing Miller (?) in the middle of the field early on.  That being said, another game with a lot more good than bad, I was overall happy with his performance.  Very unfortunate that the defense let him down and howard had a costly redzone fumble that caused the game to be a loss.  Trubisky kept them in it from start to finish, which is all you can really ask.

Lol, 66% comp 320+ yards 10+ ypa 3 TDs and a 122 qbr.  

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm not sure your point.  A) I'm tempering my expectations of him, because he's gotta sustain his success.  B) I said mostly positive things except for his poor choices on the deep pass to cohen, INT in the endzone, and missing a few passes. C) "A lot more good than bad...  Trubisky kept them in it from start to finish" thats about as ringing of an endorsement as you can give in a loss.

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Yes but that INT that you didn't mention could be pointed as a game losing error just as Howard's fumble. At that range our kicker was pretty much guaranteed to make it. No OT= no loss. Cohen's was a backbreaker too.

Or if our safties didn't do their best Conte/Wright impersonation then we would have won handily. IDC if you're facing Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Mahomes or any other QB, if you get 28 and lose it is fully on the defense (occasionally ST as well but not here).

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

IDC if you're facing Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Mahomes or any other QB, if you get 28 and lose it is fully on the defense (occasionally ST as well but not here).

No it's not.

As for Trubisky, he's still very much in "jury still out" territory, but the past couple of starts have seemed positive

Just now, DannyB said:

No it's not.

As for Trubisky, he's still very much in "jury still out" territory, but the past couple of starts have seemed positive

If your defense gives up over 4 TDs then they failed. I'm not talking about giving up a few pick 6s or returns for TDs, but if the defense is giving up that many points they simply failed.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

If your defense gives up over 4 TDs then they failed. I'm not talking about giving up a few pick 6s or returns for TDs, but if the defense is giving up that many points they simply failed.

And if the offense blows some really big gimme plays or drives or craps the bed in spots then they failed too. It's just not cut and dry like that.

3 minutes ago, DannyB said:

And if the offense blows some really big gimme plays or drives or craps the bed in spots then they failed too. It's just not cut and dry like that.

You can't actually expect perfection. At the end of the day it is about points. IDC if it is by rushing for 200+ yards or passing for 500 or only 100 yards, 28 points should be enough to secure a win. If not (and no ST scores) then you're going to be able to find a LOT of issues with the defense, more than the offense. If you win 35 to 31 then your defense still was crap regardless of the win.

Same with the opposite. If your defense holds them to 10 points and you lose, the offense failed you (again barring ST scores).

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

You can't actually expect perfection. At the end of the day it is about points. IDC if it is by rushing for 200+ yards or passing for 500 or only 100 yards, 28 points should be enough to secure a win. If not (and no ST scores) then you're going to be able to find a LOT of issues with the defense, more than the offense. If you win 35 to 31 then your defense still was crap regardless of the win.

Same with the opposite. If your defense holds them to 10 points and you lose, the offense failed you (again barring ST scores).

Okay. I just don't think it's all one or the other.

4 hours ago, DannyB said:

No it's not.

I'm not saying it's a done deal.  But last game its bc the bucs secondary.  Well he went up against a really good secondary this week and and had another really good game.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Yes but that INT that you didn't mention could be pointed as a game losing error just as Howard's fumble. At that range our kicker was pretty much guaranteed to make it. No OT= no loss. Cohen's was a backbreaker too.

Or if our safties didn't do their best Conte/Wright impersonation then we would have won handily. IDC if you're facing Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Mahomes or any other QB, if you get 28 and lose it is fully on the defense (occasionally ST as well but not here).

Ball security is #1 but after the int the defense gives up a long td on wr screen.  10 matches the team right back down the field to take the lead back.  He erased his own mistake.  This is supposed to be a top 3 defense.  Should not give up long back to back TDs on wr screens on the exact same play

6 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm not sure your point.  A) I'm tempering my expectations of him, because he's gotta sustain his success.  B) I said mostly positive things except for his poor choices on the deep pass to cohen, INT in the endzone, and missing a few passes. C) "A lot more good than bad...  Trubisky kept them in it from start to finish" thats about as ringing of an endorsement as you can give in a loss.

The way you are couching it makes it sound like it was a "meh" game.  And talking about missing throws? Hes completing 70% of his passes.  Can people get over this missed throws thing? I mean for real. Hes not going to complete 100% of his passes.  I get that he had Miller wide open on the first series of the game and just barely overthrew him.  QBs miss throws especially with players they are still working on getting timing down with.  70%!!!! With a 7.8 ypa after starting the first 2 games sub 6.  Seriously! If you want to criticize the pick that's fair.  It's a ball that never should have been thrown, and he shouldnt have had to throw it.  If you want to criticize the cross body throws to Cohen, I agree I hate that decision. I need to see the all 22 to try and figure out what they saw there that they liked so much to do it 3 times.  But just in general that's a really, really poor decision.  Those are legit criticisms I dont have to mention every incompletion for a guy completing 70% of his passes and say he wasnt accurrate like it should be 100%.

Archived