Mitchell Trubisky's Future

SmittyBacall

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It could be.

But then you have the new system and new coach regression as he learns a new system, hopefully it is offset by the improved game plan and play calling.

Dabo! Dabo! Dabo! xD

Jokes aside, it's a concern - but as you said, the offset is a better prepared team and a game plan that actually accounts for what another team does vs calling the same stuff for every down/distance situation, no matter the front and personnel in front of you. 

Another thing that will help - the impact guys on this team are students of the game, they have already picked up on a few systems over the course of their careers and acclimated well to each situation. Unless someone has some overly complex concepts, it should be learnable. 

11 minutes ago, El ramster said:

What if Mitch turns into Rex Grossman? Remeber when the bears started hot and were obliterating teams on their way to the SB 

Rex was in his 4th year, had limited physical tools, bad offensive coaching, and really wasn't good in fact his numbers were bad that year.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Dabo! Dabo! Dabo! xD

Jokes aside, it's a concern - but as you said, the offset is a better prepared team and a game plan that actually accounts for what another team does vs calling the same stuff for every down/distance situation, no matter the front and personnel in front of you. 

Another thing that will help - the impact guys on this team are students of the game, they have already picked up on a few systems over the course of their careers and acclimated well to each situation. Unless someone has some overly complex concepts, it should be learnable. 

This is why I say it is non-linear and many QBs go through multiple regressions, not all of which are their faults or some lacking talent.

Even a guy like Mahomes, who looks unreal, will revert back to the mean a little at some point. If you look at the context of what he has done, the defenses he has played are among the 5 worst in the NFL. If you remove the KC beat downs from their ppg averages they are still giving up 26 ppg on average.

Do I think Mahomes is going to be good? Yes, but I do not think he is going to be a video game on easy for the rest of his career.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

One game has turned the corner? Jesus.

If you guys had Carr in 2016, you'd already have crowned him a top 5 qb, if one good game from Trubisky is turning the corner.

If you want to take a "tentative probably" as an affirmation, that's on you. I also take it you didn't watch the game? Also, for what it's worth, I do think Carr is still a good quarterback, things are simply out of whack for the Raiders right now. I doubt they will be for much longer. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

If you want to take a "tentative probably" as an affirmation, that's on you. I also take it you didn't watch the game? Also, for what it's worth, I do think Carr is still a good quarterback, things are simply out of whack for the Raiders right now. I doubt they will be for much longer. 

I take it you didn't watch fitzpatrick weeks 1 and 2?

4 hours ago, El ramster said:

What if Mitch turns into Rex Grossman? Remeber when the bears started hot and were obliterating teams on their way to the SB 

They didn't really obliterate a lot of teams...but the wins didn't have a whole lot to do with Grossman. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I take it you didn't watch fitzpatrick weeks 1 and 2?

No, I didn't. But I've seen him play a whole bunch of times--he's been in the league for a while.

I'm confused, though. What does that have to do with anything? 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

No, I didn't. But I've seen him play a whole bunch of times--he's been in the league for a while.

I'm confused, though. What does that have to do with anything? 

Small sample size is never an indication of a player turning a corner. However old or young. Young players have less experience so you can argue that the games weigh more, but at the end of the day, a game is simply just that. A game.

It's far too early to know that his accuracy, anticipation, decision making/etc. have all turned the corner, based on a good showing.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Small sample size is never an indication of a player turning a corner. However old or young. Young players have less experience so you can argue that the games weigh more, but at the end of the day, a game is simply just that. A game.

It's far too early to know that his accuracy, anticipation, decision making/etc. have all turned the corner, based on a good showing.

Ahh, I see. You're reading "turning the corner" as going from mediocre to very good. I'm looking at it from a consistency standpoint. We're simply going at the issue differently. But, for what it's worth, Fitzpatrick almost certainly shouldn't have pinballed around the league as he has. His good game/average game thing really isn't much worse than a lot of quarterbacks out there..,

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Trubisky is on a very similar development path to Jared Goff.

The similarities between their situations is pretty remarkable.

Goff was bad as a rookie, Mitch was better, and then Goff had an okay start to year 2 with a new coach, system, and weapons, and then Goff exploded in the 2nd half of year 2.

We will see if Trubisky has the consistent success that Goff had last season in weeks 8-15.

Goff had an ok start to last season?

Do you watch football outside of Chicago?

Archived