Mitchell Trubisky's Future

SmittyBacall

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I watched a lot of football yesterday and you'd be surprised on how many of the so called upper echelon NFL QBs miss throws that make you scratch your head and say how the heck did he not complete that easy pass?

Two prime examples from yesterday are Rivers and Roethlisberger.  

I like that you are objectively evaluating Trubisky and like you I am not going to overreact after one great statistical game, but I find that the expectations to be nearly perfect with all your throws is getting a bit over the top.  Every QB is going to have his fair share of misses from time to time.

I'm not expecting perfection, just more polish.  He didn't need a lot of polish to get amazing stats yesterday, but he will need to in the future.

22 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The way people interpret the Arob inc is mind numbing to me.  The old adage "you throw long you're never wrong" doesn't apply in today's NFL.  First of all how many commented about overthrows on deep balls by Tru in the last few weeks.  Secondly, Arob thought he should have caught that ball enough that he did pushups afterwards.

But I do love the fact that no matter what he doesn't get too high or too low.  And the Fox crew was dead on yesterday, ain't nobody going to outwork him.  As Pace said hes obsessed with being great and that bodes really well for his future.

Every throw has a different context.  In this situation, he should have overthrown it a tad, or better yet placed it in his hands in stride.  Instead, he threw it in a way that made Robinson stop running, which disrupted the potential for the catch.  In other throws,  he should have had a little less arm and a little more touch in order to make the completion.  These are not at all conflicting statements, context is everything. 

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm not expecting perfection, just more polish.  He didn't need a lot of polish to get amazing stats yesterday, but he will need to in the future.

Agreed.  They're going to be tested more so than they were yesterday but I feel that this game will only help the guy grow.  As people said, if you are a good QB then you are expected to have these types of games against bad defenses.  This was a step ion the right direction.  Doesn't mean Bears fans don't need to be patient and that this still isn't a work in progress.  I just don't care for all the overreactions and hot takes after each game, that either he is or he isn't good, etc. based on his performance that given week.  Let's see in 2 years.  

Just now, topwop1 said:

Agreed.  They're going to be tested more so than they were yesterday but I feel that this game will only help the guy grow.  As people said, if you are a good QB then you are expected to have these types of games against bad defenses.  This was a step ion the right direction.  Doesn't mean Bears fans don't need to be patient and that this still isn't a work in progress.  I just don't care for all the overreactions and hot takes after each game, that either he is or he isn't good, etc. based on his performance that given week.  Let's see in 2 years.  

Thats my perspective, 100%.

Yesterday wasn't the Tru we should expect, but it's a glimpse of what he can do - he imposed his will on a bad defense, which is all you can ask for. 

Goodness knows this will do big things for his confidence and could propel him into a string of strong games.

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Keep in mind the timetable for Mitch's development is not yours to decide--especially since you were one of the members harping on instant success. Also keep in mind that, not only were you expecting instant success, you also predicted sure-fire doom for Trubisky, and that the Bears would be screwed without the first round picks to replace him. I could evisecrate the bulk of the rest of your post (which I didn't quote), but it's not worth my time.

I'm perfectly capable of making an opinion of where I think Trubisky should be on the developmental curve, and no I never said that I thought he should be an instant-star.  I want measured success, not the occasional flashes in the pan.  We saw how well he played against Tampa Bay this weekend, let's see if he can take that momentum and continue to show some consistency in that regard.

Secondly, it's eviscerate if that's the word you're going for.  If you're going to try and get snippy with me, at least spell the word correctly.  Finally, the only thing you do by putting that last post is really show that you don't have much of an argument left.  I'm more than willing to discuss this in a civil manner with you.  My stance on Trubisky hasn't changed since the beginning of the year.  I think he needed to show notable improvement, and based on what my pre-draft evaluations and how he played last year, I wasn't confident that he was ever going to take that jump.  I haven't watched his game against Tampa Bay, but if he can continue to use that success and build upon it I'd be more than willing to admit I'm wrong.  But the number of Trubisky fans coming in here using this single game to support their stance needs a quick lesson in sample size.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm perfectly capable of making an opinion of where I think Trubisky should be on the developmental curve, and no I never said that I thought he should be an instant-star.  I want measured success, not the occasional flashes in the pan.  We saw how well he played against Tampa Bay this weekend, let's see if he can take that momentum and continue to show some consistency in that regard.

Secondly, it's eviscerate if that's the word you're going for.  If you're going to try and get snippy with me, at least spell the word correctly.  Finally, the only thing you do by putting that last post is really show that you don't have much of an argument left.  I'm more than willing to discuss this in a civil manner with you.  My stance on Trubisky hasn't changed since the beginning of the year.  I think he needed to show notable improvement, and based on what my pre-draft evaluations and how he played last year, I wasn't confident that he was ever going to take that jump.  I haven't watched his game against Tampa Bay, but if he can continue to use that success and build upon it I'd be more than willing to admit I'm wrong.  But the number of Trubisky fans coming in here using this single game to support their stance needs a quick lesson in sample size.

Sample size? That's interesting since you had pretty much written him off after the first 3 games. :)

Just now, Pool said:

Sample size? That's interesting since you had pretty much written him off after the first 3 games. :)

Written off?  No.  Skeptical?  Absolutely.  I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong if Trubisky becomes anywhere near the QB that you (and others) believe he'll be.  I'm just skeptical.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Written off?  No.  Skeptical?  Absolutely.  I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong if Trubisky becomes anywhere near the QB that you (and others) believe he'll be.  I'm just skeptical.

I'm not going to go through your post history but you were a lot more than "skeptical" in your posts about Trubisky. 

Just now, Pool said:

I'm not going to go through your post history but you were a lot more than "skeptical" in your posts about Trubisky. 

Generally speaking, if I made a comment it was prefixed with the comment of "I think" or "I believe".  I don't recall every saying that he'd for sure be this or that.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:20 PM, CWood21 said:

The same thing was said about every other bust.  He's a definition of a game manager for me, not something you want when you invested the 2nd overall pick in.

Here you go.

On 9/22/2018 at 11:08 AM, CWood21 said:

All that's being said is that in this point of his career, he's done little to justify his initial selection.  There's very easily an argument to be made that he's the least impressive of the 3 first round QBs from 2017.

On 9/22/2018 at 11:24 AM, CWood21 said:

I've seen a QB whose hitting his checkdown receivers a TON, missing a LOT of wide open WRs, and making some really bad decisions.  There's just not enough "NFL caliber" throws yet.

On 9/23/2018 at 11:50 AM, CWood21 said:

What happens when you have a high completion percentage but low YPC?  Your QB is checking the ball down a LOT, which is clearly the case when you watch him.  He doesn't force the ball vertically very well. 

On 9/26/2018 at 11:05 AM, CWood21 said:

No.  Trubisky does not have the same tools as Allen.  And I don't think it's close either.

Nowhere in that did I say anything that said what he is now is what he'll be in the future.  You're seeing what you want to see.  In the first post, I made the statement "in this point of his career", which is clearly a qualifier.  In the second post, I said "throws yet" which is again a qualifier.  The third post is making a statement based on what he's done so far, so you really don't need to input the qualifier.  And the final one is a matter of fact, his tools pale in comparison to Josh Allen.  Not sure how that's debatable.

Archived