Show me the money!, say 20 Hall of Famers

vike daddy

A group of Pro Football Hall of Famers are arguing that every member of the Hall of Fame should be paid an annual salary and given health insurance. In a letter sent to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith, and Pro Football Hall of Fame President David Baker, 20 Hall of Famers say they deserve better than they have received.

“We believe we deserve more,” the letter says. “We write to demand two things: Health insurance and an annual salary for all Hall of Famers that includes a share of league revenue.”

The letter blasts Goodell as overpaid and says that the league “is notorious for the hard line it takes against players.” The Hall of Famers say they will not attend next year’s induction ceremony if their demands are not met.

The letter is signed by Eric Dickerson, who is spearheading the effort, as well as Marcus Allen, Mel Blount, Derrick Brooks, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Richard Dent, Carl Eller, Marshall Faulk, Mike Haynes, Rickey Jackson, Ronnie Lott, Curtis Martin, Joe Namath, John Randle, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jackie Smith, Lawrence Taylor and Kurt Warner. Also signing the letter is Sarah White, Reggie White’s widow.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/18/group-of-hall-of-famers-demands-an-annual-salary-and-health-benefits/

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

It really bothers me that they feel only members of the Hall of Fame deserve this...

While I think the NFL is partially to blame, the NFLPA should receive most of the blame for not taking care of their own members.  

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

It really bothers me that they feel only members of the Hall of Fame deserve this...

Yep. This is exactly the same thought as well. So much for the NFLPA. What a feudalistic thought process. Give more to the nobles (HOF) at the expense of the king (owners/Goodell) at the expense of the serfs/peasants (every other NFL player).

Lifetime insurance should be mandated for ALL players who accure at least 5 years in the league. But in what other sport does the HOF pay their inductees a annual salary? If your a HOFer, you should have made enough and done enough with your money that you should be set for life....foh

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

“We believe we deserve more,” the letter says. “We write to demand two things: Health insurance and an annual salary for all Hall of Famers that includes a share of league revenue.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/18/group-of-hall-of-famers-demands-an-annual-salary-and-health-benefits/

giphy.gif

Just a desperate money grab. No reason whatsoever to justify getting a salary for work you don't do anymore. And I'm all for pushing for better health benefits for players post-retirement, but it's self-serving to say that hall of famers specifically deserve that, and not just players in general.

Archived