2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Last season did anyone notice that the edge rushers were used differently?

They were used to contain rather than pressure. Matthews was used on the outside but his ability and skill set would have fit better in the inside. I know that people keep on saying edge rusher, but for Pettines defense it may not be priority. Priority might be DL and S.

1 hour ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

They were used to contain rather than pressure. Matthews was used on the outside but his ability and skill set would have fit better in the inside. I know that people keep on saying edge rusher, but for Pettines defense it may not be priority. Priority might be DL and S.

Yes, maybe, no. How's that ?

I don't think we know Pettine's preference on creating pressure. He noted that he will use what he has. It's been a while but I believe he has used both DL and Edge during his career. Obviously, it would be great to be able to pressure from as many different places as possible. It's still anybody's guess and a million things could change after the combine. Matthews doesn't have a contract and don't yet know if they cut ties with Perry. If you're looking to project what may happen...good luck

"Defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, offensive tackle Jonah Williams, running back Josh Jacobs and tight end Irv Smith Jr. all made their decisions to leave a year of eligibility for the NFL public in a press conference."

Q and Jonah probably go in the top 10, right?

Man, Jonah Williams would be really tempting at 12th overall. 

Especially if LaFleur likes running half as much as I think he does. 

If there isn't a top 5-8 EDGE talent that drops to 12 and Jonah Williams is sitting there, I would be all for it. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Man, Jonah Williams would be really tempting at 12th overall. 

Especially if LaFleur likes running half as much as I think he does. 

If there isn't a top 5-8 EDGE talent that drops to 12 and Jonah Williams is sitting there, I would be all for it. 

Can he play guard?

22 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

"Defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, offensive tackle Jonah Williams, running back Josh Jacobs and tight end Irv Smith Jr. all made their decisions to leave a year of eligibility for the NFL public in a press conference."

Q and Jonah probably go in the top 10, right?

I think so.  Q is probably top 3-5.  Jonah...probably top 10.  If he's there at 12 and the EDGE's are gone (Bosa, Allen, Ferrell) I'd be pretty stoked for him.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think so.  Q is probably top 3-5.  Jonah...probably top 10.  If he's there at 12 and the EDGE's are gone (Bosa, Allen, Ferrell) I'd be pretty stoked for him.

I think the Cardinals, Jets, Bucs and Bills are threats to be looking at tackles in the top 10, but they all also have other huge needs, including pass rushers for all but probably Tampa. Not a bad chance that only 1 tackle goes top 10, and it might not be Jonah

Don't know if front offices think this way, but there are so many more Day 1 starters available at OL than DL or Edge, that I would have a hard time with that.

Get your DL or Edge at 12 or they may be gone by 30-32. Plenty of plug and play OL left in that range

4 hours ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

i believe our edge players were generally used the way you describe, but it doesn't change our need for an edge player.  from a pass rush perspective alone, there were plenty of scenarios throughout the year where we rushed four with our edge players 1v1 on the outside.  they almost never won.  we need players that can win their pass rush snaps against tackles so that we can either limit the number of blitzes needed or, perhaps more likely, scheme our blitzes on the opposite side of our players that can win those 1v1 situations.  if pressure from our blitzers doesn't materialize on certain plays, we desperately need those guys that can beat their man on the outside.

Fun facts..corner is the highest drafted position in the league.  

CB-3.66.  NT-3.67.  DT-3.68.  QB-3.73.  OT-3.79.  DE-3.85.  OLB-3.89.  ILB-3.96.  RB-3.97.  WR-4.04.  OC-4.14.  FS-4.14.  SS-4.18.  TE-4.28.  OG-4.35.  FB-5.13.  P-6.  K-8.

That kind of shows what the premium positions are in the league.  For whatever that is worth.

Got this from this site...  http://nflsavant.com/combine.php

4 hours ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

I could live with that. We definitely need at least another EDGE rusher, but that DL is far worse off IMHO and the Safety position was essentially gutted this year.

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Fun facts..corner is the highest drafted position in the league.  

CB-3.66.  NT-3.67.  DT-3.68.  QB-3.73.  OT-3.79.  DE-3.85.  OLB-3.89.  ILB-3.96.  RB-3.97.  WR-4.04.  OC-4.14.  FS-4.14.  SS-4.18.  TE-4.28.  OG-4.35.  FB-5.13.  P-6.  K-8.

That kind of shows what the premium positions are in the league.  For whatever that is worth.

Got this from this site...  http://nflsavant.com/combine.php

That seems a horrible way of looking at that

Archived