2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Relevant as I examine WRs:

Allison, MVS, EQ, J'Mon, Lazard, Davis, Kum, I don't know why I just used Kum as an abbreviation for Kumerow, I guess everything needs an abbreviation nowadays. Also I don't know why I included Davis in that list.

Thats 7 already. Plus Adams is 8.

Its either day 1 or 2 on WR right? Like theres no value in taking another late round guy?

Agreed. One of the reasons I like Ridley in the third. Super polished and ready to contribute. Reminds me of Robert Woods.

12 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Laughed. 

I want him at TE.

Kumerow was on the same page as 12 faster than any of the rookie WR last year. If he didn't end up on IR for the first 12 weeks last season he might've gotten his shot. He looks like he might be able to contribute if he gets the opportunities. I don't care how old he is. Get open and I'll take that ERFA salary. What he really needs is a sweet abbreviated name. 

I just don't see a late round WR being better than the sophomore seasons those guys should be grabbing at. If I'm taking a WR, he's gotta have third round or better talent this year.

Kumerow should have caught o early. He had 2 years of nfl practices. It wasn’t like when he played in the regular season he graded that well (58.7 on pff... lower than Cobb, ally, mvs, esb). He’s a preseason folk hero who made plays against scrubs. To make the roster next year, with his skill set and at 27 lack of potential, he’d have to outright win the 3rd wr job next year or need multiple injuries.

With that said I don’t necessarily want a flyer wr either (been kinda playing devils advocate), unless it’s a kick returner 

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

I haven’t heard anything about teams viewing Taylor as a RT only. If it’s only because he played that side in college this isn’t 2005 anymore. Both tackles at modern college programs do the same things. Either way we shouldn’t be picky about adding too much talent to our offensive line. 

I have.

I want us to add OL talent, but a backup at 12 is a little ridiculous. The fan base might also be writing Bulaga off early. There’s a chance, especially if we make a jump next year, we pull a Clifton/Tauscher and resign Bulaga/hold breath he doesn’t get hurt (hedge with a third/4th round development piece).

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I have.

I want us to add OL talent, but a backup at 12 is a little ridiculous. The fan base might also be writing Bulaga off early. There’s a chance, especially if we make a jump next year, we pull a Clifton/Tauscher and resign Bulaga/hold breath he doesn’t get hurt (hedge with a third/4th round development piece).

Ok. He’s not a backup if you play him at guard this year and move him to RT next. I understand you don’t agree with that and thats fine. The value is there though.

6 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Ok. He’s not a backup if you play him at guard this year and move him to RT next. I understand you don’t agree with that and thats fine. The value is there though.

It isn’t a safe assumption thinking he’d just be able to slide into guard and then slide back out to tackle. This isn’t madden

18 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Kumerow should have caught o early. He had 2 years of nfl practices. It wasn’t like when he played in the regular season he graded that well (58.7 on pff... lower than Cobb, ally, mvs, esb). He’s a preseason folk hero who made plays against scrubs. To make the roster next year, with his skill set and at 27 lack of potential, he’d have to outright win the 3rd wr job next year or need multiple injuries.

With that said I don’t necessarily want a flyer wr either (been kinda playing devils advocate), unless it’s a kick returner 

I don't see him getting higher than 5th on the depth chart, myself. But, the age doesn't bother me there. He ran 4.54. Julian Edelman ran a 4.5 and he's winning Super Bowl MVP at age 32 because he gets open. Interesting pile of mediocrity we have at the position.

11 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Question for all on Ed Oliver. 

IF and that’s a big if, he comes in with adequate to long arms and runs in the 4.7 range, which he could. Does anyone think he could have a shot at OLB in Perine’s defense? He might be a little light for DL in the nfl but not OLB. He sure looks as quick as most of the top OLB’s/EDGE guys in this draft.

The guy is as athletic a DL as I’ve seen. Watched a video that I can’t find right now that showed him running routes like a gifted TE or and looked like he could definitely play there. VERY smooth athlete. 

If we took him it’s either 43 time or move him to OLB. Rumor is some teams even have him at ILB. One of those guys who might suddenly fall. 

On 2/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, Cheech said:

Someone help me with #7 Oshane Ximines.  

Todd McShay had us taking him at #30!!! in his most recent mock draft, so I was curious what I would see.

I'm completely underwhelmed.  Either RT #71 and TE #15 are NFL caliber players, or there is way too much hype about a guy who just doesn't possess any dominant traits to even be mentioned in the top 100.

He simply lets the RT and TE get their hands on him waaay too easily.  He was blocked out of Way too many plays here.  He doesn't have elite burst, bend, or size.  Players like that need to win with their hands - and he doesn't nearly often enough.

#71 looks to be a decent player here.  He has great length and sinks his butt.  He came out for a play, and #7 cleanly beat a backup RT for a sack, but that was about it.  I'm not inspired by a sack vs. a backup tackle in conference USA.

He was also repeatedly blocked by TE #15.  Again, letting the TE get inside with his hands and he's watching the play from behind.  

I watched enough of him.  So I'll weigh in.

No bend.  Very little twitch.  Tough, physical player.  Will win with effort.  Has some skills to be developed.  Frame is okay, not great, but okay.

I see kind of the same things you do.  He's not first round or even second round worthy to me.  Third?  I'm interested.

Alright, our job from here to April is to go to as many fan sites posing as their fans hyping up all the quarterbacks, and also hyping up IOL and WRs and even tight ends. 

Let the fans want quarterbacks, running backs, right ends, receivers and IOL more than anything. 

Use the Colts 2018 season to hype the hell out of that Ford guard. 

Murray committing to football is huge for us.  Let's make sure teams can't live with the idea of not getting him. 

17 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Its either day 1 or 2 on WR right? Like theres no value in taking another late round guy?

This is kind of my thinking as well. I think the only exception for me would be a play making slot type receiver with special teams ability that falls. If a guy like Andy Isabella fell to the 4th round or so, id be ok with that. I would probably pass on the 5th round, 6'5 receiver that normally splits out wide.

The Mizzou homer in me would be ok with Emanuel Hall if he fell late in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:
18 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

This is kind of my thinking as well. I think the only exception for me would be a play making slot type receiver with special teams ability that falls. If a guy like Andy Isabella fell to the 4th round or so, id be ok with that. I would probably pass on the 5th round, 6'5 receiver that normally splits out wide.

The Mizzou homer in me would be ok with Emanuel Hall if he fell late in the draft

Slide that to include round three and I'd agree. It's a deep year for WR this year. Beyond that I'd agree. It applies especially to slot receivers (where I'd even go to round 4 being worthwhile). Of course if the receiver is a dangerous returner, then he is viable later.

16 hours ago, deathstar said:

Agreed. One of the reasons I like Ridley in the third. Super polished and ready to contribute. Reminds me of Robert Woods.

I"m pretty high on Ridley.  Very smooth kid.  Woods?  Yah, I can get behind that.  He's a nice player!

Archived