2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  He's just looking a LOT like Leonard Floyd right now.  You love the twitchiness, but he's going to get man handled in the run game.  And the second an OT gets their hands locked on him, he's done.

The Leonard Floyd comp looks real good. I love watching Burns, but if he's 225 this just doesn't work.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

@rcon14 have you had a chance to look at Oshane Ximines yet?

He's not my type. He's super high and I have real flexibility concerns with him. I think he's going to struggle at the combine. He's got some skill though in terms of shedding blocks. Seems more like an early down EDGE than a guy you use in pass rush sets. Kind of seems very mid-roundish to early day 3 to me. I'd be real concerned dropping him into coverage too. The hips and ankles just ain't it.

He's probably a guy that should play at like 260 and just be an early down guy rather than try and play at 245. I just don't think he has the athleticism.

14 hours ago, rcon14 said:

The Leonard Floyd comp looks real good. I love watching Burns, but if he's 225 this just doesn't work.

Burns wise....

I know that 225 doesn't work.  I do get that.

But if you are taking an EDGE, I look at the frame and the athletic ability.  This kid, Burns, is just a kid.  To me, it looks like he has the ideal length.  He has get off.  Speed to burn.  I can't help but think that in 2 years, he could be a steal of this draft.  The NFL can add power with the strength program.  We've seen it happen.  And with that kid, I don't think he losses any special trait, like speed or quickness, while putting on 15-20 pounds of muscle.

While I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" with that first pick, I could be talked into Burns as one because I feel that he has the frame to add that weight in a good way.

I think PackerRaymond said it best in his Mock Draft.  #12 is a tough spot to pick.  Seems like nothing is "for sure" there regarding an EDGE.  But I'm becoming pretty warm on Burns.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Burns wise....

But if you are taking an EDGE, I look at the frame and the athletic ability.  This kid, Burns, is just a kid.  To me, it looks like he has the ideal length.  He has get off.  Speed to burn.  I can't help but think that in 2 years, he could be a steal of this draft.  The NFL can add power with the strength program.  We've seen it happen.  And with that kid, I don't think he losses any special trait, like speed or quickness, while putting on 15-20 pounds of muscle.

While I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" with that first pick, I could be talked into Burns as one because I feel that he has the frame to add that weight in a good way.

I think PackerRaymond said it best in his Mock Draft.  #12 is a tough spot to pick.  Seems like nothing is "for sure" there regarding an EDGE.  But I'm becoming pretty warm on Burns.

Hard to call someone who is almost locked in as a top 20 pick the steal of the draft. I don't see the fit in this defense. I like the player though, just picking that guy at 12 is hard

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Burns wise....

That's a thing too... he's a baby.

31 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Looking at O linemen are any of you targeting particular picks to match up with OT tiers for us?

If we don't use 30, 44, 75 do any of you have a few names that you'd like to see get to 114 or 118?

Chuma Edoga is all over draft boards (anywhere from 2nd to 7th rounds), but I've liked what I've seen.

49 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Looking at O linemen are any of you targeting particular picks to match up with OT tiers for us?

If we don't use 30, 44, 75 do any of you have a few names that you'd like to see get to 114 or 118?

I'm a fan of Cody Ford and Dalton Risner at our 12th and 30th respectively. Beyond that I'd love some names to look up.

15 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Chuma Edoga is all over draft boards (anywhere from 2nd to 7th rounds), but I've liked what I've seen.

Just ran across his name today as a senior bowl standout. I penciled him into a mock draft at 114 and then saw that no one seemed to have him anywhere near the top 100, and even the site that talked him up had him as the 15th tackle on the board.

2 hours ago, blueswedeshoes said:

If Jonah Williams is available at 12, we're probably taking him. He'd be BPA at that point. Problem is, you have to cut/trade/move Bulaga to improve the value of the pick.

Just now, ChaRisMa said:

If Jonah Williams is available at 12, we're probably taking him. He'd be BPA at that point. Problem is, you have to cut/trade/move Bulaga to improve the value of the pick.

You could just play Jonah at RG for one year before kicking him out to RT

Archived