2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

16 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I wouldn't say he killed it. He will need to work on strength big time (his supposed bright spot) and his arms and hands aren't growing anytime soon. I still have major reservations. Absolutely no way I take him at 12. With ILB's getting faster and faster, his small catch radius isn't gonna help him. It won't help him blocking at the next level either.

Josh Jackson had more bench reps

Jaire had only 2 fewer reps

Bench doesn’t really matter as long as it isn’t like under like 10. 225 for these guys is a chest endurance workout, which for football isn’t a big deal. Power is in the legs. Jumps are a better indication of power which he did great on.

Did a quick draft over at Fanspeak...dont know how realistic some of these names in those spots would be. I think its fun though.

12: R1P12-EDGE MONTEZ SWEAT
30: R1P30-EDGE JACHAI POLITE
44: R2P12-WR PARRIS CAMPBELL
75: R3P11-CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON
114: R4P12-OT MAX SCHARPING
118: R4P16-RB JUSTICE HILL
150: R5P12-TE FOSTER MOREAU
185: R6P12-CB HAMP CHEEVERS
194: R6P21-OT CHUMA EDOGA
226: R7P12-AMANI HOOKER

Just now, pacman5252 said:

Bench doesn’t really matter as long as it isn’t like under like 10. 225 for these guys is a chest endurance workout, which for football isn’t a big deal. Power is in the legs. Jumps are a better indication of power which he did great on.

Amazing how many people don't understand this

6 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Amazing how many people don't understand this

Oh I think I understand. And technique, and heart, and the rotation of the earth, blah blah blah. With the crocodile arms of his he should have put up 50. He probably couldn't get his hands around the bar.

It's all about projecting to the next level. There are legit things to be concerned about.

21 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Oh I think I understand. And technique, and heart, and the rotation of the earth, blah blah blah. With the crocodile arms of his he should have put up 50. He probably couldn't get his hands around the bar.

It's all about projecting to the next level. There are legit things to be concerned about.

Did you ever play football or lift? Strength is in the legs. 17 reps in a chest endurance workout is fine and is a passing grade for his role. 

For TE the main concern would be

-having enough size, which he had above average height and weight, slightly small arms, but as a move TE, he doesn’t need tackle arms.

-jumps, agility, which he’s 90th percentile 

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Did you ever play football or lift? Strength is in the legs. 17 reps in a chest endurance workout is fine and is a passing grade for his role. 

For TE the main concern would be

-having enough size, which he had above average height and weight, slightly small arms, but as a move TE, he doesn’t need tackle arms.

-jumps, agility, which he’s 90th percentile 

Yes. I have 36/37 arms so the bench was, needless to say, not my favorite stop.  I have a 36" inseam, so the leg press was also not my favorite stop.

LIS it's all about projecting to the next level. I disagree totally about the need for arm length. He's gonna need it to be the blocker everyone thinks he might be, and to create separation and a catch radius when ILB's are running step for step at the next level. I read somewhere that Iowa ran 2 TE 40% of the time. I think he was the beneficiary of having Fant and his reputation on the field with him. Obviously I'm not a huge fan

15 hours ago, gopackgo247 said:
bored at work so i ripped off this little draft. i dont hate it.

12: R1P12

EDGE BRIAN BURNS
FLORIDA STATE
30: R1P30

TE T.J. HOCKENSON
IOWA
44: R2P12

LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN
75: R3P11

S JOHNATHAN ABRAM
MISSISSIPPI STATE
114: R4P12

EDGE JALEN JELKS
OREGON
118: R4P16

OT WYATT MILLER
UCF
150: R5P12

TE CALEB WILSON
UCLA
185: R6P12

RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
194: R6P21

WR JAKOBI MEYERS
NC STATE
226: R7P12

S JOJO MCINTOSH
WASHINGTON

Hopeful to get a better player than burns at 12 like Sweat or Oliver but with Hockensen and Bush still there with the next two picks more than made up for it.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Swap Devin Bush out for someone else.  Real meh on any of the Round 3 prospects on aside from Nelson.

The best MLB still there at 30 and you feel meh?

Doubt he gets past Pittsburg at 20 but would love him at 30.

9 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Honestly just stay away from NFL Gen if you want good analysis. As far as the strength of the draft...
QB: I actually think it's fine. I also really like Kyler Murray and think Haskins is a pretty good prospect as well. The rest of the QBs though, I'm out on. Drew Lock might be okay, but Daniel Jones ain't it.
RB: Pretty good class imo. A ton of round 2-4 guys.
WR: Metcalf is probably gonig to go too high after his great 40/jumps at the combine (his 3-cone and shuttle were YIKES). Again a ton of great round 2-4 options here.
TE: Best TE class maybe ever?
OT: Dillard might be the only true LT in the first round, so that's down from most years. Some good RT prospects though.
IOL: Pretty solid class there. Not an elite OG or C but again some quality mid-round talent
EDGE: A really good EDGE class. Good elite talent, some mid/late R1 talent and some athletic guys to be had on days 2/3.
IDL: I'd say probably an above average class. Williams is an elite prospect and there's some other good options in late 1/early 2.
OBLB: Probably a better than average class. Bush and White are both high-end athletes. Rounds 2/3 are a little light but there are a lot of day 3 guys that have the athleticism to play in the league.
CB: Probably the weakest position in the draft. No elite CBs and the depth of the class isn't great.
S: No elite prospect but a lot of guys round 2-4.

Overall, I think it's a deep draft but not a top heavy one at traditionally highly drafted positions. QB is okay, WR is weaker at the top, as is CB and OT. The draft has what GB needs at the top (EDGE) and has some great depth in rounds 2-4. I don't think it's a bad draft, just kind of a weird one with the distribution of talent.

2017 there were 5 TEs in the top 45, 3 in the first round. Cant imagine this draft can match that.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

An interesting fact....of no particular importance.....

Dwayne Haskins will likely be the first Big Ten QB drafted in the first round in 24 years.

My first thought was, “no way” but then I started thinking and... Kerry Collins might be the last, no? That is a long time ago. Wow, who else? 

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

Yes. I have 36/37 arms so the bench was, needless to say, not my favorite stop.  I have a 36" inseam, so the leg press was also not my favorite stop.

LIS it's all about projecting to the next level. I disagree totally about the need for arm length. He's gonna need it to be the blocker everyone thinks he might be, and to create separation and a catch radius when ILB's are running step for step at the next level. I read somewhere that Iowa ran 2 TE 40% of the time. I think he was the beneficiary of having Fant and his reputation on the field with him. Obviously I'm not a huge fan

When you lift or have lifted in the past, how often do you more than 6-10 reps? Unless you are going for toneness or endurance, it should be like never. It legitimately doesn’t matter as long as it isn’t an alarming number. You have also discounted leg strength 

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

When you lift or have lifted in the past, how often do you more than 6-10 reps? Unless you are going for toneness or endurance, it should be like never. It legitimately doesn’t matter as long as it isn’t an alarming number. You have also discounted leg strength 

I haven't discounted anything. I've listed my concerns with the guy. You choose to disagree or discount that the drill is used as a measure of strength and power, yet every single google search says it does. You discount arm length as if it means nothing, yet Gute has mentioned catch radius numerous times, and it's well documented how it is invaluable in blocking. There is also a reason why they measure hand size. I wonder how much having Fant on the other side helped him. I've simply listed my concerns with regard to how they translate to the next level. It's cool if you want to blindly love the pick. I don't have to

Here is what trading up costs (approximately equal value) using the old JJ trade chart.
4th overall, #12 + #30
6th overall #12 + #44
15th overall #30 + #44
21st overall #30 + #75
27th overall #30 + #114
28th overall #44 + #75
38th overall #44 + #114
62nd overall #75 + #114
94th overall #114 + #118

I'm not a great fan of trading up. It's good for chasing specific players, and it's value depends on where the tiers are and the quality of the draft at the various positions. Of the above trades, the one I like the best is trading the 2nd (#44) and 3rd (#75) for 28th overall pick. Three picks in round one can improve you team in a hurry (for example, imagine what Burns + Hockenson + J.Simmons  could do for a team). I'd still probably settle for standing pat though, unless a specific player I want falls to a trade-up spot.

Archived