2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Simmons at 30 after getting Oliver at 12 would be an absolute steal. I'd be so giddy. Because you wouldn't "NEED" Simmons in year 1. 

Then, for the next 3 years you have a front 4 with Clark/Oliver/Simmons/Smith/Smith

That would be amazing. Landing Oliver and Simmons from this draft would be a HOF move by Gute.

This is one of those weird situations that wouldn't be my ideal outcome overall, but also probably the best possible move if Oliver falls to 12.  It's not like you can pass on Oliver knowing that Simmons will be available at 30 (and it's hard to imagine a scenario where he isn't BPA), so you take him there, and then when Simmons is still on the board at 30 he's highly likely to be BPA, so you take him too.  I'd prefer to snag an actual EDGE given that Fackrell will be gone next year and Z. Smith is a hybrid rusher, but you live with it if you're running a DL that nasty.

15 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the 12 he's talking about are front 7 players. Jeffrey Simmons is a top 10 player, without the injury, so I would think Ballard is talking about him. Would a team bite, way up there? 

I'll say this: my gut says GB is one of a small handful of teams confident enough and not beholden to an owner enough to make that pick happen 

At 12?  No.  They're going to take someone who has a clearer path to performing in 2019.  At 30?  I think he'd be in play if he checked out medically and didn't have any character issues.

15 hours ago, Lodestar said:

For me the bigger question is would Green Bay take a guy who's on video striking a woman repeatedly. I'm not so sure.

That said, I agree with the bolded. Having two 1st-round picks helps as well.

From all accounts, he's been a model citizen at Mississippi State.  The coaching staff is raving about him.  And that's part of the pre-draft visit process.  You're combing through that pretty hard.  If you're not comfortable with it, he's off your board.

5 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

Yep. Exactly. They know him and Sweat better than any.

I'd be happy with a move down to 20 and taking Polite and Simmons. That's a better draft than 2009. Polite is getting dogged on, but he is easily the best rusher in the class. Absolute blur just will never hold an edge. His gap shooting will make up for it and can play all over. Bet the Packers are loving his horrible pre draft because his film don't lie.....and he actually dropped weight from a freshman.

Wait...you're absolutely adamant against Brian Burns, but you want Polite?

53 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Simmons at 30 after getting Oliver at 12 would be an absolute steal. I'd be so giddy. Because you wouldn't "NEED" Simmons in year 1. 

Then, for the next 3 years you have a front 4 with Clark/Oliver/Simmons/Smith/Smith

That would be amazing. Landing Oliver and Simmons from this draft would be a HOF move by Gute.

This and you can let some of the garbage walk and keep what we want. I would be giddy as well with them and a S at 44 life would be grand and our D would be taking shape to be elite for a couple years.

4 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

The hate on Polite though. He's getting dogged in his combine. Very clear watching all his interviews that he was unprepared. Just had no idea what to expect. Happens. His hamstring injury is not a fake. He's fast on tape: no comparison really.

Jachai has 1 year of production, had arguably one of the worst Combine performances in recent years, and he's created character question marks.  He's literally done the exact opposite of what he's supposed to do in the pre-draft process.  You're supposed to be closing those issues, not creating newer ones.  The guy is a one-trick pony, and he failed arguably his biggest job interview of his career.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I guess the question is: We know Jachai Polite with 20 extra pounds of bad weight is not a good athlete.  But what if he added 20 lbs of good weight?

I mean, how high a draft pick are you willing to gamble that you can put 20 pounds of good weight on?  I'm not using either of my FRP.  Probably not using my SRP either.  So that means my 3rd is the soonest I'd take him, but I'd venture a guess that there will be someone available that has significantly less risk and similar upside.

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

Looking at Brooks mock on NFLN, he has us talking Oliver at 12, and AJ Brown at 30. Simmons goes at 31. Maybe someone who is smarter than me can break it down, but say the draft unfolded like that. Would taking Simmons at 30 instead with Clark and Oliver already in tow be a little redundant? Pettine loves interior pressure, and I can't help but think those three guys could form a nasty trio together. Basically what im asking is: are those three the same players, or could they coexist? I don't really know the differences between NT, 3T, 5T, etc

You're drafting him for 2020, not 2019.  He's probably missing a large chunk (if not all) of the upcoming season, but you're taking him with the idea of replacing Mike Daniels a year from now.  But are we going to have enough 3 DL looks to justify taking one at 12 AND 30?  Probably not, which is why we probably wouldn't take Simmons at 30 if we take Oliver at 12.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, how high a draft pick are you willing to gamble that you can put 20 pounds of good weight on?  I'm not using either of my FRP.  Probably not using my SRP either.  So that means my 3rd is the soonest I'd take him, but I'd venture a guess that there will be someone available that has significantly less risk and similar upside.

I take Polite in the 3rd provided I hadn't already taken an edge earlier.  Like if your first 3 picks are a defensive tackle, a safety, and a pass catcher in some order.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I guess the question is: We know Jachai Polite with 20 extra pounds of bad weight is not a good athlete.  But what if he added 20 lbs of good weight?

Well, if I took all of my "bad weight" and made it "good weight" I would be Mr. Universe, but nothing I have ever done would suggest that will happen.  

43 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If we are taking a flyer on medicals, why not go for my guy Terry Beckner in the 5th or 6th?

Beckner falls into the small DT with terrible athleticism group. Just don't see guys with that combo be successful, and that's without medical issues.

I was just looking at the number of catches our main TEs made for each year Rodgers was starting QB.

In his second year the TEs totalled 92 catches but since then it never got as high as 61.

2008 - 39 (Lee)

2009 - 92 (Lee & Finley)

2010 - 42 (Finely & Quarless)

2011 - 55 (Finley)

2012 - 61 (Finley)

2013 - 57 (Finley & Quarless)

2014 - 49 (Quarless + Rodgers)

2015 - 58 (Rodgers)

2016 - 60 (Cook & Rodgers)

2017 - 36 (Bennett + Rodgers) 

2018 - 55 (Graham)

These are not impressive numbers,  the best individual season was Finley with 61 catches in  2012. TEs such as Gronk, Witten, Kelce, Graham, Gates, Ertz all individually surpassed those totals many times.

Rodgers simply does not utilise the TE as much as we would like, instead preferring to heavily target WRs. With that in mind it doesn't make a lot of sense to draft a TE at #12 considering those historical numbers.

I know... new offence and all but I think there are certain habits of Rodgers that will be difficult to change. We will run the ball more but the bulk of the passes will all continue to go to WRs. If we're gonna draft an offensive skill player to help Rodgers then logically it should be a WR should it not?

Archived