2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You mean vehemently hating Burns but seemingly pounding the table for a smaller, slower, less explosive, dumber, lazier, less productive version of Burns confuses you too?

Vertigo onset.

11 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Looking at Brooks mock on NFLN, he has us talking Oliver at 12, and AJ Brown at 30. Simmons goes at 31. Maybe someone who is smarter than me can break it down, but say the draft unfolded like that. Would taking Simmons at 30 instead with Clark and Oliver already in tow be a little redundant? Pettine loves interior pressure, and I can't help but think those three guys could form a nasty trio together. Basically what im asking is: are those three the same players, or could they coexist? I don't really know the differences between NT, 3T, 5T, etc

I would say so, partially because Oliver has a lot of scheme versatility which makes him usable all across the front. Also important to remember that Za'Darius will be slotting at the 3T (think of the guy on the guard) in sub-packages quite a bit.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Simmons would be a luxury at that point, and personally I'd go with Brown at 30. Add value to the offense after landing Oliver at 12. 

Yah, if Oliver is the pick at #12 (and I cross my fingers that he is there), I wouldn't take Simmons or another DL at #30.

I"m not thrilled with a WR there either, though.  But I do like me some Brown.  And I have no idea what his board looked like.  

18 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Looking at Brooks mock on NFLN, he has us talking Oliver at 12, and AJ Brown at 30. Simmons goes at 31. Maybe someone who is smarter than me can break it down, but say the draft unfolded like that. Would taking Simmons at 30 instead with Clark and Oliver already in tow be a little redundant? Pettine loves interior pressure, and I can't help but think those three guys could form a nasty trio together. Basically what im asking is: are those three the same players, or could they coexist? I don't really know the differences between NT, 3T, 5T, etc

Simmons at 30 after getting Oliver at 12 would be an absolute steal. I'd be so giddy. Because you wouldn't "NEED" Simmons in year 1. 

Then, for the next 3 years you have a front 4 with Clark/Oliver/Simmons/Smith/Smith

That would be amazing. Landing Oliver and Simmons from this draft would be a HOF move by Gute.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Anybody who you know is going to miss their entire first season is a luxury no matter where you draft him, or who else you draft, IMO. 

SO drafting the heir apparent to Rodgers when he would not play the first season would be a luxury?

I am just not seeing the logic in that thinking.  Drafting top tier talent at as many draft slots as possible should be the goal.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Well, that's uh, interesting.

That's odd. I have to imagine it's his side declining them. For a guy that looked very stiff in combine workouts, I'd be pretty concerned that the hips aren't there.

Just now, squire12 said:

SO drafting the heir apparent to Rodgers when he would not play the first season would be a luxury?

I am just not seeing the logic in that thinking.  Drafting top tier talent at as many draft slots as possible should be the goal.

Well part of this is that with Clark and Oliver and also Z. Smith playing some 3T on third down, he's probably never you're starter. And also QB has a different set of rules due to A) The massive positional value it carries and B) The obnoxiously long career length in comparison to other positions.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Simmons at 30 after getting Oliver at 12 would be an absolute steal. I'd be so giddy. Because you wouldn't "NEED" Simmons in year 1. 

Then, for the next 3 years you have a front 4 with Clark/Oliver/Simmons/Smith/Smith

That would be amazing. Landing Oliver and Simmons from this draft would be a HOF move by Gute.

But.....but....but......Incog.....you've left out Burns :)

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So "luxury pick" does not mean "bad pick" or "indefensible decision" or something like that; taking Rodgers with Favre in house was absolutely a luxury pick.

Plus there is a huge difference between "draft a guy, he is not an immediate starter on the depth chart" and "draft a guy, knowing he will not play a single snap of football this season no matter who else gets hurt".

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Yeah.

When I read the reports and then I actually listen to Polite himself, it's two totally different narratives.

It just screams smokescreen. Some teams may not like him. He's a 3-4 olb but has amazing get off  from the 3 point. Some will fall for the "reports." That injury is going to dock him. He just came in totally unprepared because he had no idea what the combine was really about. Just a mistake imo, not laziness. He trained for it. I can only laugh at his comments in his naivitee. Moreover, he "gets" what he did "wrong." He took the criticism personally and it's just really humorous is all. I thought he did fine answering questions at his proday. Came off un"prepped" and just genuine. Can't see anything wrong with him.

because of the terrible reports, I didn't even look at him til now. Someone will get a steal.

When "reports" are he faked a hamstring injury, that's just  BS -- a clear false report. He said he had it before the combine and tried to fight through it. No reason not to believe him because his tape does not match those numbers at all. He's so natural and quick and - key for Pettine -- shows some versatility. He can play a number of spots which Pettine said he likes.

He went to the biggest interview of his life and was completely unprepared physically. He reportedly had terrible meetings with the teams, so he was also unprepared mentally. And then to top it off, he went on the podium with the media and named teams that "bashed" him during the meetings. 

I couldn't care less if he is available in the 4th, this is not an attitude I want anywhere near the Packers locker room. 

Just now, JBURGE said:

He went to the biggest interview of his life and was completely unprepared physically. He reportedly had terrible meetings with the teams, so he was also unprepared mentally. And then to top it off, he went on the podium with the media and named teams that "bashed" him during the meetings. 

I couldn't care less if he is available in the 4th, this is not an attitude I want anywhere near the Packers locker room. 

But he must have Packer Character attributes

Archived