2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

26 minutes ago, Chili said:

I was just looking at the number of catches our main TEs made for each year Rodgers was starting QB.

In his second year the TEs totalled 92 catches but since then it never got as high as 61.

2008 - 39 (Lee)

2009 - 92 (Lee & Finley)

2010 - 42 (Finely & Quarless)

2011 - 55 (Finley)

2012 - 61 (Finley)

2013 - 57 (Finley & Quarless)

2014 - 49 (Quarless + Rodgers)

2015 - 58 (Rodgers)

2016 - 60 (Cook & Rodgers)

2017 - 36 (Bennett + Rodgers) 

2018 - 55 (Graham)

These are not impressive numbers,  the best individual season was Finley with 61 catches in  2012. TEs such as Gronk, Witten, Kelce, Graham, Gates, Ertz all individually surpassed those totals many times.

Rodgers simply does not utilise the TE as much as we would like, instead preferring to heavily target WRs. With that in mind it doesn't make a lot of sense to draft a TE at #12 considering those historical numbers.

I know... new offence and all but I think there are certain habits of Rodgers that will be difficult to change. We will run the ball more but the bulk of the passes will all continue to go to WRs. If we're gonna draft an offensive skill player to help Rodgers then logically it should be a WR should it not?

This is a new offense. Throw that info away. 

37 minutes ago, Chili said:

I was just looking at the number of catches our main TEs made for each year Rodgers was starting QB.

In his second year the TEs totalled 92 catches but since then it never got as high as 61.

2008 - 39 (Lee)

2009 - 92 (Lee & Finley)

2010 - 42 (Finely & Quarless)

2011 - 55 (Finley)

2012 - 61 (Finley)

2013 - 57 (Finley & Quarless)

2014 - 49 (Quarless + Rodgers)

2015 - 58 (Rodgers)

2016 - 60 (Cook & Rodgers)

2017 - 36 (Bennett + Rodgers) 

2018 - 55 (Graham)

These are not impressive numbers,  the best individual season was Finley with 61 catches in  2012. TEs such as Gronk, Witten, Kelce, Graham, Gates, Ertz all individually surpassed those totals many times.

Rodgers simply does not utilise the TE as much as we would like, instead preferring to heavily target WRs. With that in mind it doesn't make a lot of sense to draft a TE at #12 considering those historical numbers.

I know... new offence and all but I think there are certain habits of Rodgers that will be difficult to change. We will run the ball more but the bulk of the passes will all continue to go to WRs. If we're gonna draft an offensive skill player to help Rodgers then logically it should be a WR should it not?

I believe Rodgers disliked throwing over the middle of the field given the high traffic of LB, safety on "defenseless receivers".  High percentage of throws outside the numbers IIRC. 

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I believe Rodgers disliked throwing over the middle of the field given the high traffic of LB, safety on "defenseless receivers".  High percentage of throws outside the numbers IIRC. 

throwing over the middle would not be conducive to his low TD:INT ratio

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I think you're right.

10 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Beckner falls into the small DT with terrible athleticism group. Just don't see guys with that combo be successful, and that's without medical issues.

I didn't see the testing for him, was it that bad? It is a shame, he really ruined his knees in college.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:23 PM, fattlipp said:

I wouldn't mind Oliver at 12, a TE at 30 and Simmons at 44.

I think Oliver/Clark/Simmons means we have a top 10 D for the next 8 years.  Mix Daniels in there and wow.

Bump, peps hated this idea when I suggested it over a month ago and that a 2nd for Simmons...

3 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I'm watching Devin Bush for the first time and holy **** is he a fun player.

No doubt about that. Murky future based on position and a few other items, but he's great to watch and Harbaugh did an amazing job putting him in spots to win.

It’s a shame that this draft sucks so badly for cornerbacks, because I’d like us to add one. Maybe the better way to go is to take 2 safeties with two of our first 6 picks. There are several of them that cover like corners and appear to be insanely athletic based on their timed profiles. 

I’m a big fan of Crazy Tony Brown, so maybe he’ll pan out and my fears will be assuaged 

8 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

It’s a shame that this draft sucks so badly for cornerbacks, because I’d like us to add one. Maybe the better way to go is to take 2 safeties with two of our first 6 picks. There are several of them that cover like corners and appear to be insanely athletic based on their timed profiles. 

I’m a big fan of Crazy Tony Brown, so maybe he’ll pan out and my fears will be assuaged 

Given our pre-draft visits w/ Donnie Lewis, Jr. and Ka'Dar Hollman I think we're looking to add competition for Tony Brown. 

7 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I'm watching Devin Bush for the first time and holy **** is he a fun player.

Yeah he had to grow on me because of his height but when you turn on the tape the guy is like a heat seeking missile, he's making sacks and tackles all over the field. I'd take him over Sweat in a heartbeat.

Archived