2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

14 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I don't like the Seahawks picking at 29 right before us. They have some really good drafting and I bet they end up taking a player we really want.

Seahawks have done some weird stuff in the first round when they have actually picked there of late:  Last 4 first rounders (they trade out of the 1st a lot) have been Rashad Penny, Germain Ifedi, James Carpenter, and Bruce Irvin.  No doubt, the Okung/Earl Thomas year worked out for them, but that was 2010.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Considering the Packers have historically been one of the more conservative teams medically, I'd be surprised if he was on their board.

I mean, they have been less medically conservative than other teams when it comes to drafting people with foot issues (e.g. Lacy, Biegel).  I know they are extremely conservative with head/neck injuries but it's conceivable that heart issues are a different matter.  It's a question of whether Sweat's deal is potentially catastrophic or merely requires management, which I will leave up to the doctors.

Just now, Norm said:

I'm going to chime in too here. Acting like you have only one first when you have two is stupid

There is no reason to make a weird or luxury pick at 30. Why would you not just take your top player at 30 regardless of whether or not you had 12? It makes zero sense.

10 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Until people stop talking about 4-3/3-4 like it matters, I guess.

You were right in the other thread. I don't agree with you now. He wasn't saying **** about what base was. Whether we agree what Ford can or can't do, it's the general opinion they didn't want him to play 3 point primary for that money and that's all golf was repeating. It didn't have anything to actually do with 43 personnel in terms of how many damn DBs are on the field lol

7 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

There is no reason to make a weird or luxury pick at 30. Why would you not just take your top player at 30 regardless of whether or not you had 12? It makes zero sense.

Edit: I'm not saying take a "weird or luxury" pick. There's a huge difference between realizing you have two firsts and acknowledging that gives you more options and making a "weird" pick.... You don't treat it identically when you have two firsts. You also don't do something stupid. It's not one or the other here

No. It 'might' LET you take your top player at 30. That's the whole ******* point. 

NOBODY is saying they shouldn't take the top player as far as I understand it. There's a thought that maybe you can "splurge" on a highly rated player that you might not take because you need to lean more to need because you didn't already really someone that helped you fill it.

I know this is going to be taken as I'm now saying we're strictly drafting for need first but that's not what I'm saying. But whatever lol

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

You were right in the other thread. I don't agree with you now. He wasn't saying **** about what base was. Whether we agree what Ford can it can't do, it's the general opinion they didn't want him to play 3 point primary and that's all golf was repeating. It didn't have anything to actually do with 43 personnel in terms of how many damn DBs are on the field lol

I'm not arguing that he's wrong, I'm saying the Chiefs are making a mistake if they think Clark playing 7-tech is different than Ford playing 7-tech when that's the position they're both playing anyway. It doesn't make any sense. Ford's position does not change. He's a 7 in a 3-4 and a 7 in a 4-3.

Just now, Norm said:

No. It 'might' LET you take your top player at 30. That's the whole ******* point. 

NOBODY is saying they shouldn't take the top player as far as I understand it. There's a thought that maybe you can "splurge" on a highly rated player that you might not take because you need to lean more to need because you didn't already really someone that helped you fill where you feel you needed to go. 

I know this is going to be taken as I'm now saying we're strictly drafting for need first but that's not what I'm saying. But whatever lol

I guess it depends on what someone means by "luxury" or "splurge." But I guess, you'd be taking that player anyway, hopefully?

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Seahawks have done some weird stuff in the first round when they have actually picked there of late:  Last 4 first rounders (they trade out of the 1st a lot) have been Rashad Penny, Germain Ifedi, James Carpenter, and Bruce Irvin.  No doubt, the Okung/Earl Thomas year worked out for them, but that was 2010.

Don't forget Malik McDowell, 35th overall pick in 2017 who never played a snap. Think a fair number of Packers fans wanted him.

Archived