2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Jacksonville makes the Packers a draft trade deal, BUT they have to finalise the swap before draft day.

Question: Would you trade the Packers second rounder (#44 worth 460 points on the J.J. chart) and their second, round 4 pick (#118 worth 58), for Jax's 38th pick (worth 520 points).

I think I probably would do it, but it's a tough choice when you don't know who will be on the board. Every year I end up wanting a high 2nd rounder because there always seem to be prospects i like, that are projected to go there

Is this a scenario you made up or is this being reported somewhere? I heard a rumor we were trying to pry Jalen Ramsey away from them. Also heard not likely to happen because what we are offering isn't what they want. 

3 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Don't forget Malik McDowell, 35th overall pick in 2017 who never played a snap. Think a fair number of Packers fans wanted him.

Lumping a guy in this scenario who never played a down due to an accident on a 4-wheeler which ended his career seems silly. We will never know what that kid could have turned into.

It's like saying the Celtics were stupid for drafting Len Bias back in the day. 

Come on man! 

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

And I am saying that is stupid.

That is COMPLETELY besides the point. I never stated differently. 

I don't disagree with you but they felt he wasn't a fit, or they knew something about his back and dealt bad goods. Buyer beware!!!

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well, thats subjective. Understand and respect the opinion, but we might need a bit more than that going forward - starting this year - not next year.

Although we have Graham, Lewis, Tonyan (and some guy named Baylis) on the roster at the moment - based on last years offense, we functionally have one TE.

Interestingly, Spotrac has Tonyan listed as a WR - that not with standing - no one other than Graham is expendable for the 2019 roster and going forward. I know Tonyan has been working out with Kittles - so high hopes can be placed there - but again, based on the past - its a position in need of upgrading.

Now - the addition of MLF may change the character of those players roles. Could be. But, adding a top line TE this year wouldnt be a reach at all IMO. Our offense could more than use the infusion of positional talent. 

Now - be that a top line guy to get field time this year and produce - versus - a Sternberger, Warring, Raymond, Dox......and such. That would be up to Gute in conference with MLF but a top guy's gonna cost us more than a Round 2 draft pick.

I'd personally like Burns at 12. Thats clear - so that makes that 30th pick all sorts of interesting IMO. Who (of the perceived top talents) is gonna last till then - and what (if anything) will we do to get them. Only time will tell at this juncture.

You won't find many rookies in the last ten years that put up Graham's numbers last year. That's not "subjective" at all. We haven't drafted a TE before round three in 19 years. Again, that's kind of objective facts. I see a whole lot more value at RB or WR at that spot than TE, and we've gone RB and WR a lot in round two, but not even WR in round one in over a decade.

We "functionally" have one TE? What  are you talking about? We've gone into the season with Rodgers before. Sorry, but your post is nonesense. We haven't had this depth at TE in a long time, and now they are second year. We need future starters, not starters next year. That's what I said. I said we can draft in rounds three to four for next year. That's how the game is generally played at TE. You don't draft future starters at TE in round one.

4 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

You won't find many rookies in the last ten years that put up Graham's numbers last year. That's not "subjective" at all. We haven't drafted a TE before round three in 19 years. Again, that's kind of objective facts. I see a whole lot more value at RB or WR at that spot than TE, and we've gone RB and WR a lot in round two, but not even WR in round one in over a decade.

We "functionally" have one TE? What  are you talking about? We've gone into the season with Rodgers before. Sorry, but your post is nonesense. We haven't had this depth at TE in a long time, and now they are second year. We need future starters, not starters next year. That's what I said. I said we can draft in rounds three to four for next year. That's how the game is generally played at TE. You don't draft future starters at TE in round one.

I said that based on last years offense we had one functional TE. I think the stats bear that out. I couldnt care less what the history books say about when and where we've drafted TEs before. That was based on rosters of that time and the functionality of the position has changed greatly.

I didnt say we'd draft a future TE starter in round one. What I said is if you want the recognized top TEs in this draft - they'll have to be drafted in Round 1 - specifically because they're going to see the field this year.

Graham is going to be 33 and is on the way out. There are some around here that wanted him gone this year. I wasnt one of them but it seems fairly clear this is his last year and any assessment of the current roster talent should indicate to you he's all we've got at the moment.

I didnt say anything about RB or WR. So its unclear why you mentioned the position.

I've no clue what you're saying here: We've gone into the season with Rodgers before.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I said that based on last years offense we had one functional TE. I think the stats bear that out. I couldnt care less what the history books say about when and where we've drafted TEs before. That was based on rosters of that time and the functionality of the position has changed greatly.

I didnt say we'd draft a future TE starter in round one. What I said is if you want the recognized top TEs in this draft - they'll have to be drafted in Round 1 - specifically because they're going to see the field this year.

Graham is going to be 33 and is on the way out. There are some around here that wanted him gone this year. I wasnt one of them but it seems fairly clear this is his last year and any assessment of the current roster talent should indicate to you he's all we've got at the moment.

I didnt say anything about RB or WR. So its unclear why you mentioned the position.

I've no clue what you're saying here: We've gone into the season with Rodgers before.

Richard Rodgers. Lewis and Graham are both more than functional TEs, both last and this year. They chose not to use Lewis last year. We've rolled with just Rodgers as our starter and almost nothing below him.That was weak. I'm sure we'll grab a TE on day 2 or 3, but we absolutely don't need someone to start next year. Just don't get your thinking at all here.

To compare, we have a reasonable need at both slot WR and third RB (and could use an upgrade there). I am very happy to take guys round three and later to upgrade TE, RB, and WR at this point considering this draft class and the strength in day three at all three spots really.

I don't want the "recognized top TEs". Never said I did except Hock who will cost too much. I actually don't like Fant and hate Irv: both are wastes of draft picks imo  and I straight up prefer a guy like Sample. 

9 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Richard Rodgers. Lewis and Graham are both more than functional TEs, both last and this year. They chose not to use Lewis last year. We've rolled with just Rodgers as our starter and almost nothing below him.That was weak. I'm sure we'll grab a TE on day 2 or 3, but we absolutely don't need someone to start next year. Just don't get your thinking at all here.

To compare, we have a reasonable need at both slot WR and third RB (and could use an upgrade there). I am very happy to take guys round three and later to upgrade TE, RB, and WR at this point considering this draft class and the strength in day three at all three spots really.

I don't want the "recognized top TEs". Never said I did except Hock who will cost too much. I actually don't like Fant and hate Irv: both are wastes of draft picks imo  and I straight up prefer a guy like Sample. 

Functionally we've far more depth at WR than we do at TE. By far. We've actually got backups at WR and have slot options on the roster already. We need RB depth - which basis most critiques of this draft class seems to be the best we're gonna get out of it. The well seems somewhat dry of top RB talent this time around.

You dont like Hock or Fant. Fine. As I said - I respect your opinion (far more than I received from you - but regardless) - we've got a new coach who's bringing in a somewhat different playbook. His needs may supersede your talent evaluations. I'm allowing for that possibility.

50 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Lumping a guy in this scenario who never played a down due to an accident on a 4-wheeler which ended his career seems silly. We will never know what that kid could have turned into.

It's like saying the Celtics were stupid for drafting Len Bias back in the day. 

Come on man! 

Never said it was a stupid pick, but if Ted drafted a guy who suffered a career-ending head injury under mysterious circumstances a week before his first training camp, and then a few months later got booked for screaming at police offers after getting kicked out of a nightclub, I think we would all be chalking that up as a "miss."

9 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

Can't wait to see it all shake out. I feel like GB is just pumping out tons of smoke this year -- and Gute even said that some of the visits were just smoke. . I suspect Sweat's not on the board for a number of reasons. Really feel like Pettine is salivating over the DL. A couple DL in this draft and this defense is set up for a long time imo. Bring back Clark and have a nice, monster rotation. Anyways, they know both Sweat  and Simmons better than anyone. (I do feel Sweat is a better fit on a 4-3 and could go to Detroit).

Maybe, Gute is hoping Sweat will drop to us, because he has a deal in place to trade down with a GM who is in love with Sweat ?

Andy Herman:

Take these positions off the board at 12 for GB:

QB
RB
WR
IOL
CB
S

It’s going to be OT, TE, DL, Edge, or ILB. If they move down things could change but I can’t see any of those positions at 12. (If they take Jonah it’ll be at OT first).

Archived