2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think they want Ed Oliver badly.  But the problem is he's almost certainly not making it to 12, let alone 14 so they'd almost certainly need to move up.  Apparently the Jets are very interested in Oliver, and rumors of a potential Detroit/Atlanta swap.

I'd bet A LOT of money right now that Oliver is going 3, 4 or 5. He won't make it past Tampa. 

8 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Yeah I've seen the DET/ATL swap for Oliver as a thing. Also some talk that the NYJ are smokescreening Oliver interest to try and get ATL to trade up there. Honestly, Oliver could go anywhere between 2 and 12 and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think Detroit at 8 is his floor.  Both New York's, Oakland, Tampa Bay, and Detroit could take him, and even then I think Atlanta would trade up in a heartbeat.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd bet A LOT of money right now that Oliver is going 3, 4 or 5. He won't make it past Tampa. 

Not sure Tampa Bay is going Oliver.  If they were going Oliver, they probably would have moved on from Gerald McCoy already.

1 minute ago, Bleed G&G said:

No reason to cut McCoy yet though until you get Oliver in the draft.  And even then you might try and trade him for a late pick during the draft.  If not you can cut him after.

We've heard for months about how the Buccaneers were moving on from McCoy, but they haven't.  It seems unlikely that a DP would change that.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We've heard for months about how the Buccaneers were moving on from McCoy, but they haven't.  It seems unlikely that a DP would change that.

Seems unlikely that you'd move on from anyone until you have a guy to replace him with.  Don't forgot also that Tampa only has 1.7 mil in cap space right now.  That's not even enough to sign their draft class.  They are going to have to find money somewhere.  I'm not saying it's locked in stone that this is what they'll do.  Just saying don't count them out for Oliver.  Dude is a top 3 talent in my opinion.

8 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Few things;

Those 3 safeties are legitimately in the average starter teir of safeties.

You can play the “x player was drafted late” game with any position. When people advocate for a single high safety, they want a guy with top end range. This class doesn’t project to have that.

Not sure this really deserves a response, but here goes. 

Each of those players have been well above average (see: borderline elite) in coverage during their careers. Boston never had any issues whatsoever in coverage (he's been a Top 10 FS in that regard for a very long time), his game was always less stellar in other ways. Quin and Poyer were two of the best safeties in the entire NFL in 2017, and that's not really debatable. Poyer played with an injury last season and it looks like father time finally caught up to Quin after years of excellent play. 

Feel like this is kind of the Byard argument I had with someone last year. The whole--just because he isn't a household name, doesn't mean he isn't one of the best players at his position. 

Also, this class definitely has more than 5 prospects that possess the requisite range to play single high. 

You can't tell me that your list consists of 5 players AND that you've (in fact) looked at the entire draft class. I simply won't believe you. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It seems pretty likely that the Bucs are going to trade McCoy for a day 3 pick during the draft, as is common with "veterans we need to clear from the payroll in order to sign rookies."  No dead money, nets them $13m, and a 6th round pick is better than nothing.

Plus a team who wanted to draft a defensive tackle, but was unable to, has more incentive to trade a throwaway pick for a veteran, than a team still hoping "their guy" is there when they pick.  It's not wholly dissimilar to how the Packers are liable to trade Jimmy Graham once they secure their tight end situation in the draft.

33 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Not sure this really deserves a response, but here goes. 

Each of those players have been well above average (see: borderline elite) in coverage during their careers. Boston never had any issues whatsoever in coverage (he's been a Top 10 FS in that regard for a very long time), his game was always less stellar in other ways. Quin and Poyer were two of the best safeties in the entire NFL in 2017, and that's not really debatable. Poyer played with an injury last season and it looks like father time finally caught up to Quin after years of excellent play. 

Feel like this is kind of the Byard argument I had with someone last year. The whole--just because he isn't a household name, doesn't mean he isn't one of the best players at his position. 

Also, this class definitely has more than 5 prospects that possess the requisite range to play single high. 

You can't tell me that your list consists of 5 players AND that you've (in fact) looked at the entire draft class. I simply won't believe you. 

A few things,

-Byard wasn't in your original argument. I'd circle back to the, "you can play X Player was drafted later" game all the time. Especially smaller school prospects (like us with Collins), Byard was overlooked.

-The three safeties you named are all solid, but not special. You can be a fringe top 10 player at your position, and considering there are 32 starting FS/SS, not much better than the median average starter. The conscenous (which I get can be wrong) all on this draft is there are some guys with tools, but no complete package. I''ll say there are a few safeties that could develop (maybe Savage and Thronhill have the athletic ability to develop into a top end SH safety), but they are far from polished prospects. The negative context around this class is it doesn't have a Derwin James prospect that is much more of a sure thing.

Straying a little but Rosen is still out there.  Price continues to drop.  Now talking a 2nd rounder to get him.  Read on Packerwire the Pack was not interested can't figure out why.  Smoke?  Dunno #44 to AZ and take the guy.  Reminds me a lot of Rodgers.  Not saying he'll be as good but for a #2 to solidify the back up spot and possibly get your next franchise QB is worth it to me.  The kid has been the consummate professional through all the Murray drama.  Think the fit would be good with the Pack and we would finally have a guy behind Rodgers who can win games. 

8 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

For S prospects, I want 2 unless the thought it to convert Jackson. If I had my choice, grab 2 of Savage, Adderly, Thornhill, Hooker, and Harris and I think the Pack will be fine.

Well that is the question.  Think Jackson would excel at the FS role.  Convert him still draft another Safety but now we'll need another CB too.

Archived