2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Where would you have played Chad Clifton if the Packers had a better left tackle option?

Right Tackle and Tauscher would have played Guard or sat.

Assuming this hypothetical scenario takes place against 2019 defenses with a 2019 offense outside of the OL.

I think other than FS Gute has done a great job of evening out the roster. That’s the only glaring hole. We can use some depth but all other starters seem adequate.

FS - weak. Maybe Jackson will move there and solidify but we need 1 for sure maybe 2  

SS - solid FA pick-up.

EDGE - solid FA pick-up‘s yet no pro bowlers there as of yet  

DL - solid starters could use some juice at 5T

WR - Star with some very promising young guys. 

TE - adequate yet old and in need of youth

RB - solid with no super star (yet)

OT - LT is great RT is ok and could use a future starter. Depth is better than people think with Turner being able to play there and Spriggs being better than people really know. Also have Murphy who wasn’t terrible when healthy. 

OG - Tayler Ned’s to bounce back, we gave Turner a fat contract for a reason... they think he can and will start. Madison was a surprise and the new regime believes this scheme is a better fit. The rest are no worse than other teams 8-10 OL’s. 

ILB - above average starter, could use help besides him but there are a couple good athletes who can compete for that spot. Team also plays with only 1 true ILB a lot. 

CB - as good of talent as we’ve had in a very long time. If King can finally stay healthy we have some good ones. Including T. Brown. That guys got a chance to be real good.

QB - just not ready to draft the future. 

This lets us draft BPA per value. Teams should really have no idea what we will do and allows Gute to not have to reach

11 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I think other than FS Gute has done a great job of evening out the roster. That’s the only glaring hole. We can use some depth but all other starters seem adequate.

FS - weak. Maybe Jackson will move there and solidify but we need 1 for sure maybe 2  

SS - solid FA pick-up.

EDGE - solid FA pick-up‘s yet no pro bowlers there as of yet  

DL - solid starters could use some juice at 5T

WR - Star with some very promising young guys. 

TE - adequate yet old and in need of youth

RB - solid with no super star (yet)

OT - LT is great RT is ok and could use a future starter. Depth is better than people think with Turner being able to play there and Spriggs being better than people really know. Also have Murphy who wasn’t terrible when healthy. 

OG - Tayler Ned’s to bounce back, we gave Turner a fat contract for a reason... they think he can and will start. Madison was a surprise and the new regime believes this scheme is a better fit. The rest are no worse than other teams 8-10 OL’s. 

ILB - above average starter, could use help besides him but there are a couple good athletes who can compete for that spot. Team also plays with only 1 true ILB a lot. 

CB - as good of talent as we’ve had in a very long time. If King can finally stay healthy we have some good ones. Including T. Brown. That guys got a chance to be real good.

QB - just not ready to draft the future. 

This lets us draft BPA per value. Teams should really have no idea what we will do and allows Gute to not have to reach

I agree with this for the 2019 season, but if you were to look at the 2020 roster, there are a good number of "holes" that should be considered needing to be filled.  Planning a year ahead is what helped to keep GB in a good position for a lot of years.  

2020 needs based on the players are are currently under contract for 2020 and longer:  RT, DL, ILB

Positions that could use another player for rotation, depth or the possible departure of the current starter:  TE, CB, EDGE

DJ's final mock.  Pack take Taylor at 12 and Lock at 30.  Can't imagine the reaction on this board if that's the way it went down.  I like Lock just fine but feel he'll need a few years of development.  Prefer Rosen who would come cheaper and could step in this year.  Guess Taylor at RT.  He would be pretty good there.  Not the preferred outcome considering all the defensive studs in this draft.  The way the draft unfolded in his scenario one could argue we went BPA.  Hard to get too excited about it tho.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027778/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-40-redskins-land-haskins

5 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

DJ's final mock.  Pack take Taylor at 12 and Lock at 30.  Can't imagine the reaction on this board if that's the way it went down.  I like Lock just fine but feel he'll need a few years of development.  Prefer Rosen who would come cheaper and could step in this year.  Guess Taylor at RT.  He would be pretty good there.  Not the preferred outcome considering all the defensive studs in this draft.  The way the draft unfolded in his scenario one could argue we went BPA.  Hard to get too excited about it tho.  

If we take Taylor/Lock I'll turn the draft off and it's probably my favorite 3-day event of the year, lol. That's terrible. 

I mean, realistically if Lock is there in the late 20s, someone is going to move up for him.  Charlie Casserly polled some NFL teams about QBs, and 3 had Lock as their top QB so that's at least 2 teams that aren't the Packers who covet him.  With the Seahawks picking 29th, an always looking to move down in the late 1st - that is your spot to go get Lock.

It's almost tomorrow boys. The day where I watch some of my favorite prospects turn into guys I hope suck twice a year at least. Or a prospect Im not high on turns into a player I hope goes All-Pro. The day I get to laugh at whoever the Vikings pick to bust for them. Seriously, Spielman has to have the highest 1st rd bust rate of current gms.  Bears dont even get to have a draft so that's fun. I gotta go pick up a nice wine.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

If we take Taylor/Lock I'll turn the draft off and it's probably my favorite 3-day event of the year, lol. That's terrible. 

hee hee hee...yah it's pretty brutal.  DJ is a pretty good mocker.  Hope he's wrong.  We have all been salivating over the Edge and DL in this draft.  To come away with an OT and QB would be pretty tough to swallow.  Even if it came to pass I'd watch all 3 days and research the guys we took.  Watch all the pressers etc etc etc.

Just heard Hub Arkush chatting about the draft. 

Takeaways:

Sweat is top 10, BUT, heart condition is a real thing and he might slip out of first round entirely. 

Hock won’t make it to 12. Generational tight end.

Kahale Waring is flying up draft boards. He’ll be right up there with TEs after Hock and Fant are gone. 

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I know PFF isn't the be all end all;

Power- S 45 (68.4)

Quin- S 58 (66.1)

Boston- S 24 (74.1)

They are all in the meh replacement level player tier of safeties that teams don't want to give big money too. Boston has been so elite that he is a FA and received a stop gap contract last year as well.

Alright, I'm done. 

There is zero point in engaging-- if you won't actually read what I type. 

I believe I've already stated 3 times (at the very least 2 times) that Poyer and Quin both didn't play well in 2018... one because he was injured (Poyer) and one because father time finally claimed his next victim (Quin). I've stated 2017 repeatedly for both players. I've also clarified that Boston has been borderline elite in coverage the last few seasons, and that he has struggled in other facets. The word on Boston is that he likes to run his mouth in the locker room, which fits pretty well with his lack of interest every off-season despite solid play. 

I guess since we're going to use PFF now. 

Poyer and Quin definitely weren't on the Top 101 NFL Players of 2017 list (oh wait, they both were). 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-101-players-from-the-2017-nfl-season

In terms of Boston: 

Since you are now qualifying your argument to guys that could develop into single high guys, yes I can buy that. 

At no point have I changed or qualified my argument, so please get out of here with that garbage.

I'm done with this conversation, I can't engage people in good faith who don't take the time to even read what I write. 

26 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree with this for the 2019 season, but if you were to look at the 2020 roster, there are a good number of "holes" that should be considered needing to be filled.  Planning a year ahead is what helped to keep GB in a good position for a lot of years.  

2020 needs based on the players are are currently under contract for 2020 and longer:  RT, DL, ILB

Positions that could use another player for rotation, depth or the possible departure of the current starter:  TE, CB, EDGE

I agree with this too but don’t most teams? Usually we have 1-2 glaring holes to fill in the draft. This year we need guys but there are no huge needs. While you have to consider the future what matters most is now. For the “now” we are better off that most years. 

Archived