2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

12 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I agree with this too but don’t most teams? Usually we have 1-2 glaring holes to fill in the draft. This year we need guys but there are no huge needs. While you have to consider the future what matters most is now. For the “now” we are better off that most years. 

True.  Safety is probably the biggest hole for 2019 as of right now in looking at the probable starters/major rotational players.  So unless you see a safety being the BPA at pick 12, then moving to the potential holes to fill for the 2020 season and considering positional values, it then becomes a RT, DL situation with CB and EDGE being next.  ILB and TE probably coming after those positions.  

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

True.  Safety is probably the biggest hole for 2019 as of right now in looking at the probable starters/major rotational players.  So unless you see a safety being the BPA at pick 12, then moving to the potential holes to fill for the 2020 season and considering positional values, it then becomes a RT, DL situation with CB and EDGE being next.  ILB and TE probably coming after those positions.  

That’s logical. I look at the draft a little differently. EDGE, QB, LT, Rush DL and CB are must haves and hard to get because they usually go high.

We finally have a high pick with a good class for a position with potential superstars we don’t get a crack at. Therefore I go there with my high picks. 

RT is a position I feel you can draft later and be good with. 

With King the only one sitting out the the off season workout that’s a bad sign so I could get with CB but DANG!... not another CB! Someone had to pan out and our luck has to change with this position doesn’t it? I wouldn’t like a CB but would totally understand if the Packers were worried about King being able to stay healthy. 

57 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I'm trying to fall in love with additional players thinking my guys I would want at 12 are going to be gone. Trying to get on the Christian Wilkens train, but finding difficult. Any thoughts on this guy? 

Wait on the next train.

11 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

That’s logical. I look at the draft a little differently. EDGE, QB, LT, Rush DL and CB are must haves and hard to get because they usually go high.

We finally have a high pick with a good class for a position with potential superstars we don’t get a crack at. Therefore I go there with my high picks. 

RT is a position I feel you can draft later and be good with. 

With King the only one sitting out the the off season workout that’s a bad sign so I could get with CB but DANG!... not another CB! Someone had to pan out and our luck has to change with this position doesn’t it? I wouldn’t like a CB but would totally understand if the Packers were worried about King being able to stay healthy. 

I can see that.  I do view LT and RT as almost similar in value for premium positions in the modern pass happy NFL with most teams having adequate EDGE rushers on both side of their defense.  Having an elite LT and a subpar RT just means your LT is going to face the opponents lesser pass rusher and your RT is going to get the stud pass rusher.  

I would not take a pure RT type at 12, but once you get to 30, if Risner is still there, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on him.

Unfortunately, I am not that thrilled with the top CB group in Greedy, Baker and Murphy.  I actually have Amani Oruwariye as top CB..don't think he is worthy of 12, but mid 20's and certainly at 30 is an option as well.  Taking a CB would allow a Jackson move to safety and play to his strengths as a ball hawking player.

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Just heard Hub Arkush chatting about the draft. 

Takeaways:

Kahale Waring is flying up draft boards. He’ll be right up there with TEs after Hock and Fant are gone. 

Watched a Warring highlight video. Other than a big body, I didn't see anything that jumped out. Only saw one play with any YAC. Tackled within 5 yards on all other catches. Nothing spectacular, or even somewhat exciting. He did seem to catch the ball well, but Josh Oliver looks a lot more athletic with the exact same height weight and 40 time.  I would have guessed Warring weighed 30 pounds more just by watching him. Maybe I watched the wrong highlights

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, realistically if Lock is there in the late 20s, someone is going to move up for him.  Charlie Casserly polled some NFL teams about QBs, and 3 had Lock as their top QB so that's at least 2 teams that aren't the Packers who covet him.  With the Seahawks picking 29th, an always looking to move down in the late 1st - that is your spot to go get Lock.

Doesn’t Casserly run a combine prep camp that Lock attended?

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I can see that.  I do view LT and RT as almost similar in value for premium positions in the modern pass happy NFL with most teams having adequate EDGE rushers on both side of their defense.  Having an elite LT and a subpar RT just means your LT is going to face the opponents lesser pass rusher and your RT is going to get the stud pass rusher.  

I would not take a pure RT type at 12, but once you get to 30, if Risner is still there, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on him.

Unfortunately, I am not that thrilled with the top CB group in Greedy, Baker and Murphy.  I actually have Amani Oruwariye as top CB..don't think he is worthy of 12, but mid 20's and certainly at 30 is an option as well.  Taking a CB would allow a Jackson move to safety and play to his strengths as a ball hawking player.

I like Risner too. What do you think about Mitch Hyatt? Feel like he’s close to the same player but for some reason I see him 2-4 rounds later. Seemed to hold up well this year against Bama and the rest of the SEC. 

At CB I like Rock Ya but at 44 if he or Greedy were to fall I think I’d love that pick for value alone. Agree though not enamored with the CB class 

7 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I like Risner too. What do you think about Mitch Hyatt? Feel like he’s close to the same player but for some reason I see him 2-4 rounds later. Seemed to hold up well this year against Bama and the rest of the SEC. 

At CB I like Rock Ya but at 44 if he or Greedy were to fall I think I’d love that pick for value alone. Agree though not enamored with the CB class 

I think Hyatt is a good mid to later round OT/OL option.  I would be fine with him in that 4-5 round range.  

Not a fan of Ya-Sin.  I like a few CB in the late 2 to 4 round range.  Layne, Bunting, L Johnson, Long and I Johnson.  Later round Ballentine and the CB ghat GB brought in Hollman

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

If we don't go EDGE at least once before the end of Round 3 it'd be hard to classify the draft as success. 

With the quality of the EDGE class combined with having the 12 pick and 2 firsts, I would agree.  

Where would you be comfortable taking  

Burns?

Ferrell

WInovich

Ferguson

Banogu

35 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Watched a Warring highlight video. Other than a big body, I didn't see anything that jumped out. Only saw one play with any YAC. Tackled within 5 yards on all other catches. Nothing spectacular, or even somewhat exciting. He did seem to catch the ball well, but Josh Oliver looks a lot more athletic with the exact same height weight and 40 time.  I would have guessed Warring weighed 30 pounds more just by watching him. Maybe I watched the wrong highlights

Yeah...Hub was saying he is a super accomplished athlete with only a year of college football and that he’d need maybe two years to put it together. To me that sounds like Day Three. Maybe flying up the boards means UDFA to Round Six. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

With the quality of the EDGE class combined with having the 12 pick and 2 firsts, I would agree.  

Where would you be comfortable taking  

In terms of our picks? 

Burns - 12 

Ferrell - 30

Winovich- 75 (I'm not a Winovich guy, so there's probably a few others I'd take before him at 75-- AND yes I realize that some team will probably fall in love with the effort and he'll be drafted near the top of the 2nd-- that's no thank you territory for me). 

Ferguson- 75 (Also not a huge Ferguson guy--- what can I say, I have a type)

Banogu- Possibly 75 if the board is destroyed, but I'd be more comfortable at 114. I think Banogu's range is 80-140 in this draft class, but I guess we'll see. 

Archived