2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Thompson, Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill, Adderley, Savage

So you're of the opinion that no safety outside of the top two rounds has the requisite range to play single high? 

That stands out as a very odd take in one of the most athletic AND instinctive classes in recent memory at safety, but to each his own. 

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

So you're of the opinion that no safety outside of the top two rounds has the requisite range to play single high? 

That stands out as a very odd take in one of the most athletic AND instinctive classes in recent memory at safety, but to each his own. 

I had Mike Bell as a possible later pick until he ran an awful 4.83 40. Hooker could do it in a pinch, he is a heck of an athlete, though SS is said to be his best spot. There are plenty of good safeties this year, including free safeties, it's just that single high demands high-tier skills.

1 hour ago, festiveonion said:

How you feel about Jaquan Johnson and Sheldrick Redwine?

Miami should have 3 safeties drafted by round 5. Pretty crazy depth.

I'm not super high on Jaquan's NFL prospects. 

You're always going to be limited when you have legit 4.7 speed at that position. 

Redwine is a different story, I really like what he could become. Obviously, you'd like more on the frame and he has mental lapses in coverage, but he possesses almost everything you can't teach and I think the rest is correctable given time. 

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I had Mike Bell as a possible later pick until he ran an awful 4.83 40. Hooker could do it in a pinch, he is a heck of an athlete, though SS is said to be his best spot. There are plenty of good safeties this year, including free safeties, it's just that single high demands high-tier skills.

The NFL is littered with quality players that weren't drafted high and are among the best safeties in the NFL. Many of them can (and do) play single high at extremely high levels. 

Off the top of my head--Quin, Boston and Poyer were all drafted on Day 3. 

3 hours ago, Cadmus said:

The NFL is littered with quality players that weren't drafted high and are among the best safeties in the NFL. Many of them can (and do) play single high at extremely high levels. 

Off the top of my head--Quin, Boston and Poyer were all drafted on Day 3. 

Few things;

Those 3 safeties are legitimately in the average starter teir of safeties.

You can play the “x player was drafted late” game with any position. When people advocate for a single high safety, they want a guy with top end range. This class doesn’t project to have that.

I could definitely get behind Drafttek's latest mock for us...

1.12 - Andre Dillard | OT | Washington State
1.30 - AJ Brown | WR | Ole Miss
2.44 - Juan Thornhill | SAF | Virginia
3.75 - Jachai Polite | EDGE | Florida
4.114 - Foster Moreau | TE | LSU
4.118 - Devin Singletary | RB | Florida Atlantic
5.150 - Terry Beckner Jr | IDL | Missouri (doubtful he's on our board...terrible 3C and knees)
6.185 - TJ Edwards | ILB | Wisconsin
6.194 - Gardner Minshew | QB | Washington State

Ignored the 7th rounder because, for some stupid reason, they picked a dude that's still at Ole Miss lol (Josiah Coatney).

Should I have any concern that Brian Burns will end up like a Leonard Floyd/Vic Beasley/Bruce Irvin type player? I don’t think pro player comparisons are everything and those guys can be useful situational guys, but is 12 worth a guy like that? 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Also, though I think he'll go far earlier than his projections, I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on Will Grier at the beginning of day 3, if he's on the board, with one of our 4ths. 

Some media have been saying he’s a possible round 1 pick by the Pats. 

18 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

Should I have any concern that Brian Burns will end up like a Leonard Floyd/Vic Beasley/Bruce Irvin type player? I don’t think pro player comparisons are everything and those guys can be useful situational guys, but is 12 worth a guy like that? 

That’s one of the reasons why I feel like 12 is too high.

39 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

Honestly I'm way less versed in the draft this year than I usually am (seems to be a bit more every year...stupid real life...), but I've had the same concern with him. I guess I just am not used to that style of player, because I had the same hangup with Harold Landry last year (was a Davenport guy). Still Landry had 4.5 sacks in his rookie year, and that could continue to trend up. And think about how much we could have used Irvin in his prime over the last few years. So wouldn't be my favorite move at 12, but wouldn't hate it. Especially when you add in that we could let him be just a situational pass rusher for year 1 with the Smiths ahead of him.  

57 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

You should, but if that's someone's floor and the ceiling is a full time double digit sack guy, I think that's a pretty safe pick. You're telling me if my guy never goes beyond his floor, I've got a situational rusher who will average 6-8 sacks a year. I'm pretty comfortable with that pick then.

42 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Honestly I'm way less versed in the draft this year than I usually am (seems to be a bit more every year...stupid real life...), but I've had the same concern with him. I guess I just am not used to that style of player, because I had the same hangup with Harold Landry last year (was a Davenport guy). Still Landry had 4.5 sacks in his rookie year, and that could continue to trend up. And think about how much we could have used Irvin in his prime over the last few years. So wouldn't be my favorite move at 12, but wouldn't hate it. Especially when you add in that we could let him be just a situational pass rusher for year 1 with the Smiths ahead of him.  

I was exactly the same in the Landry/Davenport choice, I tend to think pure speed guys struggle more in the NFL than guys who might have less bend but more power. However, since the Packers have the Smiths, having Burns coming off the edge gives offenses a different kind of problem, and I'm very much on board with being able to give different looks. That said, my fave rusher this year is Ferrell, but there you go. I'd be very happy if Burns was the pick, though.

Archived