TNF: Jets vs Browns GDT The Battle of the light weights.

Kiwibrown

Who do you have?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Browns vs Jets

2. 2. How many Ints for Darnold?

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

2 quarters of football. 1 win in 19 tries. Maybe pump the breaks a tiny bit before we declare Baker the real deal and tell Browns fans their suffering is over. This almost seems like a cruel tongue in cheek post, just setting them up for misery.

y tho

20 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

y tho

It will all work out because ProcessedCheddar was fake and holding back the Browns. Mayfield has the tools, the arm, the IQ ect ect.. 

as a Raiders fan if we meet you guys 0-3 and Ward has a smile I am genuinely scared lol.

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

2 quarters of football. 1 win in 19 tries. Maybe pump the breaks a tiny bit before we declare Baker the real deal and tell Browns fans their suffering is over. This almost seems like a cruel tongue in cheek post, just setting them up for misery.

No tongue-in-cheek here; I mean it sincerely. Not only have a lot of the aforementioned Browns' fans stayed loyal to their team, through all the years, but some of them, if you read the Browns' forum, are humorously self-deprecating, of their team and of themselves. Hard not to root for fans  who can stay the course, and yet remain good-natured about it. I wish them, their team, and their new quarterback well.

5 hours ago, bzane said:

No tongue-in-cheek here; I mean it sincerely. Not only have a lot of the aforementioned Browns' fans stayed loyal to their team, through all the years, but some of them, if you read the Browns' forum, are humorously self-deprecating, of their team and of themselves. Hard not to root for fans  who can stay the course, and yet remain good-natured about it. I wish them, their team, and their new quarterback well.

It's confusing because you are such a wiseass all the time 

9 hours ago, buno67 said:

True but didn’t the same thing happen after Wentz had that hot debut vs the Browns? Hype went crazy for him. It settled down and than the dude turned into a legit franchise QB. 

It did, but it shouldn't have. 1 game against a lousy team? 2 games against lousy teams? 3 good games (less than 1/4th of a season)? It should all add fuel to the fire that is excitement over a guy, but nothing more. The minute you let it become more than it is: very promising signs, the minute you are setting yourself up for a potentially soul crushing crash. Haven't you Browns fans built this simple defensive mechanism by now? I know as an Eagles fan we haven't been through nearly as many lows, yet even I developed all of these defense mechanisms to protect myself from heartbreak... You know I actually just realized I bet OSU is to blame for why your defense mechanisms are underdeveloped, and thus you guys get heartbroken so much lol. Their massive success (are what, 75% of Browns fans OSU fans?) prevents you guys from accepting that loser mentality which would undoubtedly be embraced by any other fanbase and prevent getting too excited over things like the haul or Manziel.  Interesting stuff to think about nonetheless, I'd read a paper on it.

Sure, in Wentz's case it turns out the premature hype was well warranted (at least thus far, let's see if he can repeat his 2017 success)... but for every Wentz there is an RG3. You just never know how QBs will adapt when opposing Ds adapt. You don't know how they will look once the training wheels are off, how they will overcome obstacles QBs need to deal with (injuries, rotating cast of WRs, coaches, etc.) It goes both ways, like we saw with Goff, who looked awful early but is now right there with Wentz.

Look, as a Browns fan I'd be excited to finally have a franchise QB we are 100% all in on. I'd be even more excited after seeing him have a great pro debut where he made plenty of tough throws and looked the part of franchise QB.... but along the way I would always remember in the back of my mind that it was just 1 series, 1 game, 1 season. Specs on what we are banking on being a 15 year union. Maybe this kind of thinking is too conservative, no fun, etc., but let me tell you, it will also make things a lot easier to deal with when he inevitably goes through some rookie bumps, or if he turns out not being the real deal. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It did, but it shouldn't have. 1 game against a lousy team? 2 games against lousy teams? 3 good games (less than 1/4th of a season)? It should all add fuel to the fire that is excitement over a guy, but nothing more. The minute you let it become more than it is: very promising signs, the minute you are setting yourself up for a potentially soul crushing crash. Haven't you Browns fans built this simple defensive mechanism by now? I know as an Eagles fan we haven't been through nearly as many lows, yet even I developed all of these defense mechanisms to protect myself from heartbreak... You know I actually just realized I bet OSU is to blame for why your defense mechanisms are underdeveloped, and thus you guys get heartbroken so much lol. Their massive success (are what, 75% of Browns fans OSU fans?) prevents you guys from accepting that loser mentality which would undoubtedly be embraced by any other fanbase and prevent getting too excited over things like the haul or Manziel.  Interesting stuff to think about nonetheless, I'd read a paper on it.

Sure, in Wentz's case it turns out the premature hype was well warranted (at least thus far, let's see if he can repeat his 2017 success)... but for every Wentz there is an RG3. You just never know how QBs will adapt when opposing Ds adapt. You don't know how they will look once the training wheels are off, how they will overcome obstacles QBs need to deal with (injuries, rotating cast of WRs, coaches, etc.) It goes both ways, like we saw with Goff, who looked awful early but is now right there with Wentz.

Look, as a Browns fan I'd be excited to finally have a franchise QB we are 100% all in on. I'd be even more excited after seeing him have a great pro debut where he made plenty of tough throws and looked the part of franchise QB.... but along the way I would always remember in the back of my mind that it was just 1 series, 1 game, 1 season. Specs on what we are banking on being a 15 year union. Maybe this kind of thinking is too conservative, no fun, etc., but let me tell you, it will also make things a lot easier to deal with when he inevitably goes through some rookie bumps, or if he turns out not being the real deal. 

Well said. I've been on this forum a long time, so I know how fickle Browns fans (and probably most fans in general) can be. As soon as he has a poor game or two there will be people calling for him to be benched. As a Browns fan and someone who's been a Mayfield fan since he was at OU, I am definitely optimistic... but cautiously optimistic. With that said, even in one half of playing time, Baker honestly looked better than any QB we've had in years. Yes, I know that's not saying a whole lot considering what we've had at QB since 1999. Just his command of the offense and how comfortable he looked out there is something I can't recall seeing out of a Browns QB. Ultimately I do agree that us Browns fans shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves, as we are used to heart break, but there's definitely good reason to be optimistic about Baker and the future of this team.

53 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Well said. I've been on this forum a long time, so I know how fickle Browns fans (and probably most fans in general) can be. As soon as he has a poor game or two there will be people calling for him to be benched. As a Browns fan and someone who's been a Mayfield fan since he was at OU, I am definitely optimistic... but cautiously optimistic. With that said, even in one half of playing time, Baker honestly looked better than any QB we've had in years. Yes, I know that's not saying a whole lot considering what we've had at QB since 1999. Just his command of the offense and how comfortable he looked out there is something I can't recall seeing out of a Browns QB. Ultimately I do agree that us Browns fans shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves, as we are used to heart break, but there's definitely good reason to be optimistic about Baker and the future of this team.

To be honest, in the half of football he played he looked like an elite QB. Not perfect, he had a fumble and a pass that was "catchable" by the defense but throwing the football with arm strength and accuracy (the could have been pick was right on the money to Landry he just didn't see the defender coming from the middle of the field) he showed it would be silly not to get excited. I'm willing to say he has a top 5 NFL arm already. What he does with it remains to be seen but the accuracy/zip are in the elite category.

14 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Dude, however the rest of the season goes from this point on is irrelevant right now.  The Browns and their fans are simply celebrating getting a win for the first time in two years and there's nothing wrong with that.  I personally believe Cleveland has indeed found their long lost franchise QB in Baker Mayfield and that he will end up having a great career there, but I also expect there will be plenty of growing pains along the way and that the Browns (and Baker) are going to struggle mightily at times this year. 

We'll just have to wait and see, obviously, but there's no sense in raining on their parade today.  Let em have it...

37 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Dude, however the rest of the season goes from this point on is irrelevant right now.  The Browns and their fans are simply celebrating getting a win for the first time in two years and there's nothing wrong with that.  I personally believe Cleveland has indeed found their long lost franchise QB in Baker Mayfield and that he will end up having a great career there, but I also expect there will be plenty of growing pains along the way and that the Browns (and Baker) are going to struggle mightily at times this year. 

We'll just have to wait and see, obviously, but there's no sense in raining on their parade today.  Let em have it...

I don't expect Baker to struggle mightily. The defensive pressure will get to him at times and he will make mistakes but his arm will always be there even on 2nd and 23. A QB who can throw the intermediate passes with the accuracy and zip that he has will be feared if he keeps it up and defenses will have to gameplan around that and that just opens up other options. If what he showed in his debut is close to what he is then I'm not worried at all as a Browns fan except for his good health.

Something will probably happen, it's the Browns but I don't foresee the team's failure going forward on Mayfield's part assuming he is healthy. He has one of the liveliest arms in the league and if the accuracy he showed in college and in his 1st NFL game is any indication of how he will be going forward we are looking at a smaller Wentz type QB who may be more accurate. We'll see, Raiders are the first team to try to figure out how to deal with Baker the starter. I'm gonna guess it ends up being not as well as they hoped.

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I'm trying so hard to temper my expectations for Baker. I truly am. I know he's going to have his rookie struggles. I keep telling myself that, but he's never encountered any adversity that he hasn't overcome, EVER.

I can tell you as an Ohio State alum that the two never really coincided for me. At least, I don't think. The fact is, the expectations for both are entirely unrelated. Every NFL season, I'm looking ahead to potential Browns draft picks, because in the back of my mind, I always know we're still gonna suck. At the same time, I'm generally an optimist, and I still hold out hope. I look at the one or two awe-inspiring throws from DeShone Kizer that happened every once in a blue moon and think that could be our franchise QB one day, even though he just doesn't have "it." 

But this season, I didn't have the same mindset. While I still lose my **** over NFL draft talk, I'm not as focused on the potential top 10 picks this year as I have been in every other season. We can clearly see that Baker brings an entirely different, special skillset to this team than any of the QB's we've had in my lifetime (too young for Bernie). Not to mention, the defense having their crap together, the addition of a proven elite NFL WR, and a  number of promising young pieces. I know not every game is going to end up like Thursday night, but I also no what the past Browns have been like, and this most definitely is not the Browns of old. They are finally trending upward.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:42 PM, Gannon12 said:

If you change teams after dealing with all the hardship and pain for so many years..... because of the Baker pick and an online forum!?! And run to the bandwagon team. You were never a fan to begin with and can not be taken seriously in any light. 

That is all 

Ive been an Eagles fan since the browns left for Baltimore... way back in the 90s. Quit trolling and go back to whatever garbage fire team forum you came from. 

Mc

21 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't expect Baker to struggle mightily. The defensive pressure will get to him at times and he will make mistakes but his arm will always be there even on 2nd and 23. A QB who can throw the intermediate passes with the accuracy and zip that he has will be feared if he keeps it up and defenses will have to gameplan around that and that just opens up other options. If what he showed in his debut is close to what he is then I'm not worried at all as a Browns fan except for his good health.

Something will probably happen, it's the Browns but I don't foresee the team's failure going forward on Mayfield's part assuming he is healthy. He has one of the liveliest arms in the league and if the accuracy he showed in college and in his 1st NFL game is any indication of how he will be going forward we are looking at a smaller Wentz type QB who may be more accurate. We'll see, Raiders are the first team to try to figure out how to deal with Baker the starter. I'm gonna guess it ends up being not as well as they hoped.

I just meant that ALL rookie QB's (indeed all QB's in general) go through peaks and valleys and Baker will be no exception.  Look at Sam Darnold week 1 compared to Thursday night.  Its not realistic to expect Baker to be all-great-all-the-time and that's all I was saying.  Defenses will get tape on him and scheme against his weaknesses and he will eventually have a 2 or 3 INT game where they get beat up and that is just inevitable.  The point though is that I expect he will learn from those mistakes and have an overall successful year in 2018, and that's all Cleveland fans could really hope for at this point after the last 3 years...

Archived