Let the Mayfield Mayhem Begin

Dawgpoun8017

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Brees was blowing smoke there. 

Brees was a better college athlete by the numbers than Baker.

Nah, Brees could move around but not as well as Baker could. Brees was really fun to watch at Purdue and looked like an NFL QB but I never thought of him as a plus athlete really as a college QB. Both are/were above average as far as NFL QBs and both could throw while moving which is more important than picking up yards running long term. They are very similar imo and was always my comparison of choice.

It is pretty much impossible to be a lot better than Brees though so that is a little outlandish but I could see similar career paths as far as performance.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Nah, Brees could move around but not as well as Baker could. Brees was really fun to watch at Purdue and looked like an NFL QB but I never thought of him as a plus athlete really as a college QB. Both are/were above average as far as NFL QBs and both could throw while moving which is more important than picking up yards running long term. They are very similar imo and was always my comparison of choice.

It is pretty much impossible to be a lot better than Brees though so that is a little outlandish but I could see similar career paths as far as performance.

Yeah perhaps Brees tested better, but he never played that way.

Baker moves well in the pocket and is a better “natural athlete” imo.

Hey, Browns fans! Congrats on getting the best rookie QB since....2012 (Luck or Newton)? Or do we go as far back as Peyton Manning? Who knows, depends on your perspective, I guess.

He sure wowed me with his years as a Sooner. Too bad we never had a good enough D to get him a Championship. :$ 

I cannot wear that Orange and Brown (that orange is too close to my Sooner's wannabe rivals--the Pokes of Oklahoma St. in Stillwater) but I will always be a Mayfield fan. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hey, Browns fans! Congrats on getting the best rookie QB since....2012 (Luck or Newton)? Or do we go as far back as Peyton Manning? Who knows, depends on your perspective, I guess.

He sure wowed me with his years as a Sooner. Too bad we never had a good enough D to get him a Championship. :$ 

I cannot wear that Orange and Brown (that orange is too close to my Sooner's wannabe rivals--the Pokes of Oklahoma St. in Stillwater) but I will always be a Mayfield fan. 

I'd say it's either him or Russel Wilson for best rookie season ever. Luck is probably in the discussion but doesn't make it with those two imo. Russel's was better in many ways, but it was better leaning MUCH more heavily on the run game and an elite defense. Russ, despite starting the whole year, threw 93 fewer passes. Their TD/INT numbers are similar, but Baker threw for an extra 90 yards per game (Russ had 600 fewer passing yards total). 

I think I'd give the edge to Russ because of rushing. He had almost 500 yards and 4 TDs. I think that's the separation between the two.

But still, I legitimately think Baker's was the 2nd most impressive season for a rookie QB IN HISTORY!

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'd say it's either him or Russel Wilson for best rookie season ever. Luck is probably in the discussion but doesn't make it with those two imo. Russel's was better in many ways, but it was better leaning MUCH more heavily on the run game and an elite defense. Russ, despite starting the whole year, threw 93 fewer passes. Their TD/INT numbers are similar, but Baker threw for an extra 90 yards per game (Russ had 600 fewer passing yards total). 

I think I'd give the edge to Russ because of rushing. He had almost 500 yards and 4 TDs. I think that's the separation between the two.

But still, I legitimately think Baker's was the 2nd most impressive season for a rookie QB IN HISTORY!

Here here!

7 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Nope. What RG3 did his rookie year was better than all of them.

More passing yards than Russ. 800 yards rushing.  27 total TD's.  5 INT's.

Yeah, he busted after that, but there's never been a better rookie year than RG3 imo.

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Nope. What RG3 did his rookie year was better than all of them.

More passing yards than Russ. 800 yards rushing.  27 total TD's.  5 INT's.

Yeah, he busted after that, but there's never been a better rookie year than RG3 imo.

Dang, you're right. I think I was thinking of impressive "passing" rookie seasons and I forget how awesome he was overall. 

Yeah there have been better rookie years from dual threat quarterbacks. Strictly passing I'd go with Marino and Mayfield at 1 and 2. Wilson and Dak were much more efficient and also had rushing yards/TD on top of it but strictly as passers I don't think RGIII, Cam, Dak, Wilson, Luck, or anyone outside of Marino have been more impressive as an NFL passer as a rookie.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I read that as, “defenses forgot about Fells 9 times in 2018 and Baker usually made them pay for it”.

Was gonna say EXACTLY this. The blocking TE is usually a good target on the 10% of plays he doesn't block because everyone expects him to block.

23 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:
8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I read that as, “defenses forgot about Fells 9 times in 2018 and Baker usually made them pay for it”.

Was gonna say EXACTLY this. The blocking TE is usually a good target on the 10% of plays he doesn't block because everyone expects him to block.

Maybe you did, it is in quotations so somebody said it.

Archived