Week 3 Gameday Thread

Johnny Nix

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It's been that way since Robert Griffin it feels like.  

One telling sign are the young QBs who mostly find their success from having to just make one read and making the basically predetermined throw (which is where a lot of Griffin's success came from as a rookie, but admittedly he fooled me - I thought he was gonna be a star after his rookie season).  It's easier to design an offense around a QB like that, but it also makes it easy for defenses to figure you out after awhile.

Yeah, I agree with this notion and would like to add that some of the recent flash in the pans have been QBs who also heavily relied on their mobility to move the chains. Eventually teams will figure that out, there was a video of how the Patriots had game planned to contain Watson from beating them with his legs. 

The recent successful QBs have been the opposite in that you can see they prefer to always be looking down field and only run as a last resort, vs. the young QBs who run once they see an opening, not realizing the speed of these DBs. 

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It's been that way since Robert Griffin it feels like.  

One telling sign are the young QBs who mostly find their success from having to just make one read and making the basically predetermined throw (which is where a lot of Griffin's success came from as a rookie, but admittedly he fooled me - I thought he was gonna be a star after his rookie season).  It's easier to design an offense around a QB like that, but it also makes it easy for defenses to figure you out after awhile.

Griffin, Luck, Dak, Watson, Mahomes, etc. Maybe even add Newton to that list.

Again, that's not to say all of the guys are BAD, or will be bad, it's just that in some cases, how good/great they look like they'll become kinda flattens out a bit.

Archived