Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

Patrick Willis and Justin Smith are up for HOF nomination next season. I don't think either will make it in on their first try, and I'm not sure if Justin Smith will get in at all as good as he was. Willis' 5 first team All Pros, 7 Pro Bowls, and Defensive Rookie of the Year award should get him in sooner rather than later though. 

Other guys that will be in their first year of eligibility will be Troy Polamalu and Reggie Wayne. Troy is the only one I think of these four that could receive first ballot. So this will be a good year for guys that have been stonewalled for a while to get in. 

Edited by PapaShogun

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Didn't really keep up with his evolution as a pro, but if this is to be believed.....

Alford, 30, joined the Falcons in the same draft class as Desmond Trufant, with the team intending to solve their cornerback need for several seasons. While Alford’s career got off to a shaky start, he wound up being a quality contributor for several years, managing 10 interceptions (plus a huge pick six of Tom Brady in the Super Bowl), 85 pass deflections, and 303 tackles over the years. He was solid-to-good in 2015 and pretty terrific in 2016 and 2017 before the bottom dropped out in 2018, when Alford had arguably his worst season as a pro as the Falcons sagged to 7-9.

That season, plus Alford’s cap hit, were likely the deciding factors here. The Falcons drafted Isaiah Oliver in the second round in 2018 with an eye on making him a long-term starter and have talked openly about drafting another corner in this class, meaning there was little room for a player making $8.5 million at a position where Desmond Trufant is highly paid, Damontae Kazee may get a long look, and Brian Poole is still an extremely useful option in his own right.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/2/5/18212813/report-falcons-cut-cb-robert-alford#comments

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Hollywood police confirmed they did respond to a domestic dispute call in January involving Brown. No other comments, just confirmed that they did respond. 

Domestic dispute can be anything. Someone yelling. Someone crying. Does Brown have a history of anything? I know that doesn't mean anything. And I don't want to defend Brown. So it's safer to bring out the good ol' ten foot pole and keep a safe distance from Brown.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Patrick Willis and Justin Smith are up for HOF nomination next season. I don't think either will make it in on their first try, and I'm not sure if Justin Smith will get in at all as good as he was. Willis' 5 first team All Pros, 7 Pro Bowls, and Defensive Rookie of the Year award should get him in sooner rather than later though. 

Other guys that will be in their first year of eligibility will be Troy Polamalu and Reggie Wayne. Troy is the only one I think of these four that could receive first ballot. So this will be a good year for guys that have been stonewalled for a while to get in. 

Justin had two years of truly elite production, but it just happened to coincide with JJ Watt having super elite production. I think Justin Smith will, if he hasn't already, be forgotten by history, except to niners fans.

Willis' shortened career is a knock against him. He would otherwise have no knock against him. I don't know how someone could have watched him play and thought he wasn't one of the greatest at playing LB of all time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Domestic dispute can be anything. Someone yelling. Someone crying. Does Brown have a history of anything? I know that doesn't mean anything. And I don't want to defend Brown. So it's safer to bring out the good ol' ten foot pole and keep a safe distance from Brown.

Pretty much. It's his first issue with any sort of domestic dispute, but the fact that the cops were called at all would present a challenging situation for the team for sure. It's also not his first off the field "issue", as he recently had that situation with throwing furniture and the like out of a window. I think he's being sued for that. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pretty much. It's his first issue with any sort of domestic dispute, but the fact that the cops were called at all would present a challenging situation for the team for sure. It's also not his first off the field "issue", as he recently had that situation with throwing furniture and the like out of a window. I think he's being sued for that. 

As exciting as adding his talent to the roster, I don't think we need him at all. Let's draft the next Antonio Brown instead! Let's invest in the defense.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Smith probably won't get into the Hall. Sucks, but I think it's similar to the Bryant Young situation. We know how great he was as fans, but probably not going to be enough. Peak production / play wasn't long enough (essentially 2-3 years with the niners; he was above average with the Bengals, sometimes good, but seldom great). 

Can't even look at Willis until Thomas is in the hall in my opinion (which should have already been done). Off ball linebackers like that are typically not priorities unless they are Ray Lewis and the like. I do think he has a good case eventually based on his peak play and the length of his peak. But given how long Thomas has been waiting, I don't know how Willis gets in any time soon. 

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

As exciting as adding his talent to the roster, I don't think we need him at all. Let's draft the next Antonio Brown instead! Let's invest in the defense.

I'd rather invest enough in the defense to make them solid, if unspectacular, and invest in the offense enough to make it elite. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd rather invest enough in the defense to make them solid, if unspectacular, and invest in the offense enough to make it elite. 

I'm not sure any one player will transform our unit into an elite one. What kept our offense from truly being a top unit, in my opinion, was the struggle in the redzone. And a lot of it falls on the playcaller, really. I feel more confident scoring TDs from 40 yards out than I am from 15, and that's just wrong. Kyle really has to take it up a notch in that area. Sure, having one more guy drawing coverage to his side helps in the redzone. We already have plenty of options, though. We'll see.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Smith probably won't get into the Hall. Sucks, but I think it's similar to the Bryant Young situation. We know how great he was as fans, but probably not going to be enough. Peak production / play wasn't long enough (essentially 2-3 years with the niners; he was above average with the Bengals, sometimes good, but seldom great). 

Can't even look at Willis until Thomas is in the hall in my opinion (which should have already been done). Off ball linebackers like that are typically not priorities unless they are Ray Lewis and the like. I do think he has a good case eventually based on his peak play and the length of his peak. But given how long Thomas has been waiting, I don't know how Willis gets in any time soon. 

Thomas should be in for sure, and Willis will have to wait a few years, but he should be in by 2023-2024. Willis peak was just so high and he was an all pro performer the day he entered the league. 

As for Smith? He definitely had a dominating stretch but probably wasn't quite good enough in his Bengals days to get in. But he may be a guy way down the road gets in during a weak year or something.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Brian Urlacher as gotten in though, and he retired four years after Zach Thomas. Meanwhile Randy Gradishar has been waiting since the late 80's. The HOF is so weird half the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Willis has to wait 20 plus years, or if he gets in next year, or never gets in. 

56 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Brian Urlacher as gotten in though, and he retired four years after Zach Thomas. Meanwhile Randy Gradishar has been waiting since the late 80's. The HOF is so weird half the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Willis has to wait 20 plus years, or if he gets in next year, or never gets in. 

Oh man, if he has to wait 20 years then the voters definitely dropped the ball there. His peak and accolades still should get him in regardless of him only playing seven seasons.

What will be interesting is Calvin Johnson is a nominee the following season. What happens there? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh man, if he has to wait 20 years then the voters definitely dropped the ball there. His peak and accolades still should get him in regardless of him only playing seven seasons.

What will be interesting is Calvin Johnson is a nominee the following season. What happens there? 

I'm of the opinion Calvin, like Willis, should get in. I think his career is a stronger version of Sterling Sharpe. Limited number of years, but dominated most of them. I just remembered a friend of mine proposing a trade back in 2014. Willis for Johnson straight up. Then both retired.

Edited by PapaShogun

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm of the opinion Calvin, like Willis, should get in. I think his career is a stronger version of Sterling Sharpe. Limited number of years, but dominated most of them. I just remembered a friend of mine proposing a trade back in 2014. Willis for Johnson straight up. Then both retired.

My guess is if Willis doesn't get in his first year then he won't either in 2021. That class will be headline by Charles Woodson, Peyton Manning and Calvin Johnson.