The Good, the Bad, the Winless Gruden Era vs Miami

RaidersAreOne

So I'm gonna take a different angle here.

Ugly: We are 0-3 with more than enough issues to work out. 

Bad: But we've been "mostly" competitive in all 3, with a new scheme and turmoil. It's not pretty, but there are certainly worse teams. We've just got to close games.

Good: We're only 1 game behind New England, so I'm staying blissfully ignorant and saying that a WC spot isn't out of the question yet. 

Truth is, we are 0-3, but Miami and LA both appear pretty good and Denver's D isn't terrible either. And it's not unfair to say we "should" have won all 3. It's not too late to get into a groove, especially when looking at the entire league and how inconsistent some teams have been. We need a better punter and Nelson doesn't need to be starting. But some tweaks can still be made. Carr has been a Jekyll and Hyde QB thus far, but I'm not terribly sour on him yet. Growing pains were expected after all. But Gruden has to make adjustments and prove his worth as we're clearly capable of competing with some of the best in the league in spite of our flaws. Maybe a glass half full way of seeing it, but it hasn't been all bad despite the letdown start. 

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

So I'm gonna take a different angle here.

Ugly: We are 0-3 with more than enough issues to work out. 

Bad: But we've been "mostly" competitive in all 3, with a new scheme and turmoil. It's not pretty, but there are certainly worse teams. We've just got to close games.

Good: We're only 1 game behind New England, so I'm staying blissfully ignorant and saying that a WC spot isn't out of the question yet. 

Truth is, we are 0-3, but Miami and LA both appear pretty good and Denver's D isn't terrible either. And it's not unfair to say we "should" have won all 3. It's not too late to get into a groove, especially when looking at the entire league and how inconsistent some teams have been. We need a better punter and Nelson doesn't need to be starting. But some tweaks can still be made. Carr has been a Jekyll and Hyde QB thus far, but I'm not terribly sour on him yet. Growing pains were expected after all. But Gruden has to make adjustments and prove his worth as we're clearly capable of competing with some of the best in the league in spite of our flaws. Maybe a glass half full way of seeing it, but it hasn't been all bad despite the letdown start. 

My reason for optimism is that the teams we have played are a combined 8-1 (5-1 excluding our games) and our next 7 games are very winnable.  I think we can be at .500 at the ten game mark.  I see 2-3 wins after that so 7-9 or 8-8 in the first year is not ideal but not horrible.  The Bears I believe will go 7-9.

0-3 sucks on paper, and 8-8 seemed like the uanimous Raider Forum prediction anyways. However:

- LA Rams are the best team in football. 

- Denver is practically unbeatable at home in September the past 15 years or so. 

- Miami game was in Miami, they might be a 10 win team, and we were competitive until the end. 

We can still get around 7 wins and show promise for next year. Although if we lose to Cleveland at home, 4-12 is probably what we are looking at it. 

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Last month you were saying Penn should be the starter at LT And now you what to cut him?

Last month Penn was a left tackle, now he is is playing right tackle and he is terrible at RT.  Miller is better than I was expecting him to be at LT so I don’t think a change to Penn back to LT is necessary.  So yes, after this season I would be fine with finding a replacement for Penn at RT.  

If you disagree that’s fine, but too much $$ already invested in the OL and they aren’t playing up to their pay, Penn being the worst offender.  Before the season I didn’t have that opinion, but things change.

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Truth is, we are 0-3, but Miami and LA both appear pretty good and Denver's D isn't terrible either. And it's not unfair to say we "should" have won all 3. 

Pretty much. We have new schemes on both sides, obvious weak spots on the roster and we're in those games until the 4th quarter. Our passing O is 6th in yardage and we're tied for 3rd for the least 3 and out %. I'm pretty confident we're going to get better through the season.

2 hours ago, daineraider said:

Last month Penn was a left tackle, now he is is playing right tackle and he is terrible at RT.  Miller is better than I was expecting him to be at LT so I don’t think a change to Penn back to LT is necessary.  So yes, after this season I would be fine with finding a replacement for Penn at RT.  

If you disagree that’s fine, but too much $$ already invested in the OL and they aren’t playing up to their pay, Penn being the worst offender.  Before the season I didn’t have that opinion, but things change.

First off the tradie of Mack was last month and cutting Irving and Penn would’ve created 14 million in dead money so it’s not helping.

This team is a mess and it’s all on Reggies head.

hhttps://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/donald-penn-3007/

ttps://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/bruce-irvin-9825/

9 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

First off the tradie of Mack was last month and cutting Irving and Penn would’ve created 14 million in dead money so it’s not helping.

Didn’t those contracts only become guaranteed at the start of the season?  Pretty sure Irvin and KO had non guaranteed contracts coming into this season. Going after Reggie for cap management really isn’t the way to go tbh. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

0-3 sucks on paper, and 8-8 seemed like the uanimous Raider Forum prediction anyways. However:

- LA Rams are the best team in football. 

- Denver is practically unbeatable at home in September the past 15 years or so. 

- Miami game was in Miami, they might be a 10 win team, and we were competitive until the end. 

We can still get around 7 wins and show promise for next year. Although if we lose to Cleveland at home, 4-12 is probably what we are looking at it. 

4-12 would be a terrible season. This team is 25-23 over last 3 years. Gruden was brought in as an upgrade over JDR, 4 wins for a $10m coach would be unacceptable. That said I see us getting better as the year goes on but Gruden really needs to be in the 7+ win bracket.

17 minutes ago, Dessie said:

4-12 would be a terrible season. This team is 25-23 over last 3 years. Gruden was brought in as an upgrade over JDR, 4 wins for a $10m coach would be unacceptable. That said I see us getting better as the year goes on but Gruden really needs to be in the 7+ win bracket.

The Browns game will tell us if we are a 7-8 win team who faced top competition or a 4-5 win team that just sucks and folds under any pressure. 

What’s happening with Carradine? He’s been a healthy scratch for 2 of the 3 games. Our DE depth is bad enough after losing Mack, I would thought Carradine should be playing to limit Keys snaps. MEJ would be a better option at this point, I see he got a sack for the Giants on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Didn’t those contracts only become guaranteed at the start of the season?  Pretty sure Irvin and KO had non guaranteed contracts coming into this season. Going after Reggie for cap management really isn’t the way to go tbh. 

Penn was guaranteed because he redid his contract in July,  I don’t know about Irving.

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

So what are you even arguing?  I said to cut both after this season.  Irvin has 0 dead money in 2019 and Penn has 2.7mil, Roberts also needs to be cut(once again, after the season not now).

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

So what are you even arguing?  I said to cut both after this season.  Irvin has 0 dead money in 2019 and Penn has 2.7mil, Roberts also needs to be cut(once again, after the season not now).

I’m arguing the Raiders don’t have the talent on his team to spend 24 million for MacK. They need help everywhere.

Don’t even get me started on 3 million for a punter.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I’m arguing the Raiders don’t have the talent on his team to spend 24 million for MacK. They need help everywhere.

Don’t even get me started on 3 million for a punter.

That is what drafting is for. And get started on that 3 million punter, cause the cheap one we got now sucks really bad. Could have kept king around one more year, drafted a punter, made sure he was decent first before giving him the job. Kinda like how they found king in the first place. 

Archived