Wk 3 postgame: GB 17 • WAS 31

Cakeshoppe

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I will continue to scoff at that idea because it's absolutely ridiculous.

Instead of saying "crap we're stuck seeing a lot of Fackrell Sunday." We'd say "crap we're stuck seeing a lot of Orchard Sunday."

You're still stuck in this mindset that adding a free agent means he has to be an absolute world beater.  I'd take a guy who could play 15 to 20 snaps a game and just not screw up the way 51 did again on Sunday.  

Is it absolutely ridiculous thay we added Breeland?  John Simon could be in the exact same situation as Breeland.  Once he's healthy he could instantly provide better depth at a position that is struggling. 

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A lot of that has to do with the way these edge guys are being asked to play. The Dom days of being able to fill the outside run gap on the way to the QB on 1st and 10 are over. Guys are being asked to square up on standard downs and even fill B gap on a lot of runs. That's not a recipe for a ton of exterior pressure. It's another reason why the smaller guys like Clay and Fackrell aren't the base rushers in this defense. Perry and Gilbert can still collapse the pocket when asked to face up. Clay and Fackrell aren't going anywhere. Clay will at least occasionally win with his hands or on a hustle play. This just isn't Fackrell's system from a pass rushing perspective.

I like Pettine's back end strategy a lot more than I did Capers. It's simpler and it lets guys sink or swim on their talent.

I do not like the front group stuff as much. The three interior rushers just aren't getting home and that's with three pretty darn talented Dlineman. 

I agree - Ive seen our outside backers jump inside the B gap more often this year.  I need to watch a little closer, but it seems as if our inside backers are not recognizing and scraping soon enough, or they get reached and can't get off a block.  

Still, Perry has always been a guy that at the very least could sink his hips and drive a tackle to the QB.  I don't think he's physically capable of that right now. 

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I agree - Ive seen our outside backers jump inside the B gap more often this year.  I need to watch a little closer, but it seems as if our inside backers are not recognizing and scraping soon enough, or they get reached and can't get off a block.  

Still, Perry has always been a guy that at the very least could sink his hips and drive a tackle to the QB.  I don't think he's physically capable of that right now. 

It's certainly something to watch. Perry has always loved his speed rush way too much though.

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

You're still stuck in this mindset that adding a free agent means he has to be an absolute world beater.  I'd take a guy who could play 15 to 20 snaps a game and just not screw up the way 51 did again on Sunday.  

Is it absolutely ridiculous thay we added Breeland?  John Simon could be in the exact same situation as Breeland.  Once he's healthy he could instantly provide better depth at a position that is struggling. 

Breeland was a top 20 ranked FA this offseason, Orchard/Means/Elliott may not even crack a top 100. They're bottom roster fodder, no different than Fackrell.

I've already said plenty of times 2017 Simon would be a very worthy add, the fact he hasn't even had a visit since cut down day tells me he is not healthy.

For those still upset about the loss to the lowly Redskins, the Redskins are second in the NFL at yards per attempt allowed.  They are second in points allowed. 

The Redskins are a good team.  They won 8 games last year with everybody injured and Cousins literally throwing games away. 

Allen, Compton, Foster, Murphy, Pryor, Reed, Taylor, Thompson, Williams.  All were on IR last year.

They upgraded at QB, upgraded at DL (by a LOT), upgraded on the OL, have a LOT of talent in the secondary and might be the most underrated team in the NFL this year. 

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Breeland was a top 20 ranked FA this offseason, Orchard/Means/Elliott may not even crack a top 100. They're bottom roster fodder, no different than Fackrell.

I've already said plenty of times 2017 Simon would be a very worthy add, the fact he hasn't even had a visit since cut down day tells me he is not healthy.

Welp

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

For those still upset about the loss to the lowly Redskins, the Redskins are second in the NFL at yards per attempt allowed.  They are second in points allowed. The Redskins are a good team.  They won 8 games last year with everybody injured and Cousins literally throwing games away. Allen, Compton, Foster, Murphy, Pryor, Reed, Taylor, Thompson, Williams.  All were on IR last year. They upgraded at QB, upgraded at DL (by a LOT), upgraded on the OL, have a LOT of talent in the secondary and might be the most underrated team in the NFL this year. 

Personally the manner in which we lost was most troubling for me.

The "talent balance" between the teams not with standing - I attribute the result to the knock down / drag out - down to the final seconds OT tie with MN - which had a rollover effect on both teams - and an overall lack of on the field execution by the GBPs.

We didnt show up at the starting gun - the score got run up on us - and we failed to put anything together consistently throughout the game.

Let's face it, there really isn't anyone worth trading for at EDGE right now and LIS in another thread, the way Pettine is calling the defense it's very clear that he's afraid to blitz for whatever reason. Granted, I can understand the vast improvement of the DB room, but you can't expect coverage sacks on every passing down and you can't expect the CB's to be perfect in coverage.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Let's face it, there really isn't anyone worth trading for at EDGE right now and LIS in another thread, the way Pettine is calling the defense it's very clear that he's afraid to blitz for whatever reason. Granted, I can understand the vast improvement of the DB room, but you can't expect coverage sacks on every passing down and you can't expect the CB's to be perfect in coverage.

It's a bit odd for sure. The blitzing numbers are fantastic.

Archived