What happened to the Saints defense?

Elky

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Saints defense looked better today BUT I dont know if I can give them a ton of credit. They played a bad Giants offense. The Giants only have names. I will give the Saints credit for shutting down OBJ. I thought he would at least have a good day and he didnt. I still have my concerns about the Saints defense giving up big play after big play. Today the Giants again showed why all the hype surrounding their offense was just that...all hype. The Giants offense flat out stinks. The oline stinks and Eli looks closer to done than he does playing another few seasons of quality play. Barkley looks like he is back in Penn State running behind that bad oline where he lost the most yards than any back in college football last season. Like nothing is good about the Giants offense right now and the Saints just capitalized on it.

Agreed, I don't think the Saints defense is good at all and today didn't change my mind about that.  The Giants problem is they don't really have anybody but OBJ to really threaten defenses so if they just blanket him every play Eli spits the bit.  

The Saints defense has got 6 games in a row coming up where I could see them getting lit up in every single one.  The only reason they have a chance is Drew Brees and that offense.  Pretty much the entire NFC South has no defense anymore and just has to outscore everybody, with mixed results so far.

18 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Saints defense looked better today BUT I dont know if I can give them a ton of credit. They played a bad Giants offense. The Giants only have names. I will give the Saints credit for shutting down OBJ. I thought he would at least have a good day and he didnt. I still have my concerns about the Saints defense giving up big play after big play. Today the Giants again showed why all the hype surrounding their offense was just that...all hype. The Giants offense flat out stinks. The oline stinks and Eli looks closer to done than he does playing another few seasons of quality play. Barkley looks like he is back in Penn State running behind that bad oline where he lost the most yards than any back in college football last season. Like nothing is good about the Giants offense right now and the Saints just capitalized on it.

Our defense showed signs of life today regardless of bad Giants offense.  It was a good game for us defensively.  In years past, it didn't matter who we played, and everyone would have career days against us.  Now we actually shut down bad offenses, so a step in the right direction for sure.  We can get lit up by a good offense for sure, and there's a lot of room for improvement.  But if we can beat the bad teams and win half our shootouts with the other ones, we should be able to make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Our defense showed signs of life today regardless of bad Giants offense.  It was a good game for us defensively.  In years past, it didn't matter who we played, and everyone would have career days against us.  Now we actually shut down bad offenses, so a step in the right direction for sure.  We can get lit up by a good offense for sure, and there's a lot of room for improvement.  But if we can beat the bad teams and win half our shootouts with the other ones, we should be able to make the playoffs.

I agree. No way the Saints shouldve gotten lit up against the Giants. Eli looks a shell of himself and the oline is still terrible. So they Saints did what they had to do against a bad offense. 

12 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

They showed improvement. The communication was much better today. Let's hope they continue to improve.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

i mean, still early but you guys have a huge edge in the division chase. i dont think either the bucs or panthers have a facet )be it offense or defense) they are good enough in to be considered real contenders and it seems anyone can drop near 40 on us right now. After next weeek we have a fiarly easy 5 weeks stretch, that should tell us if atl will really be in the mix or not.

The Saints look better today because of the Giants offense. They didn’t even try to throw the ball more than 10 yards majority of the game. The OL is just bad so it explains the conservativeness plus we’re missing two of our other deep threats in the game. There is no confidence there and Eli cannot get away with missing easy throws anymore as opposed to years passed. 

9 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Saints just played the Giants smart. Shut down Barkley and let Eli shut down the passing game. Saints defense is still middle of the road. 

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

The Saints look better today because of the Giants offense. They didn’t even try to throw the ball more than 10 yards majority of the game. The OL is just bad so it explains the conservativeness plus we’re missing two of our other deep threats in the game. There is no confidence there and Eli cannot get away with missing easy throws anymore as opposed to years passed. 

Will the Giants regret going Barkley? I’ve always been a “don’t take HBs early” guy and while I agree Barkley will be one of the best since AP, I just think HBs are so easy to plug in if you have a good OL. Would Giants fans be happier grooming a QBOTF?

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Will the Giants regret going Barkley? I’ve always been a “don’t take HBs early” guy and while I agree Barkley will be one of the best since AP, I just think HBs are so easy to plug in if you have a good OL. Would Giants fans be happier grooming a QBOTF?

No they won’t. Because this team would not be in any better position right now if we took a QB. On top of that, if you’re not convinced of the options you have then you go for the guy that you’re comfortable with. People say we should’ve taken a QB acting if the Giants were sure we would be passing on a guy we felt was the QBOFT. I’m happy with the pick. Happier then I was   on draft day.

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Saints just played the Giants smart. Shut down Barkley and let Eli shut down the passing game. Saints defense is still middle of the road. 

If the Saints went out of their way too shut down Barkley, trust me we wouldn’t have been settling for 5 yards each pass. If anything, this was a game in which Barkley could’ve had a big game but when your right side of the line is so inferior, it tends to cripple everything around you 

37 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

If the Saints went out of their way too shut down Barkley, trust me we wouldn’t have been settling for 5 yards each pass. If anything, this was a game in which Barkley could’ve had a big game but when your right side of the line is so inferior, it tends to cripple everything around you 

Eh, the Giants had a bad game plan. Saints have been destroyed by deep passes and they all they tried to do was dink and dunk down the field. 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread. Lattimore shut Beckham down yesterday. For the naysayers saying Lattimore "didn't shadow him", he still lined up against Beckham on 31 of the Giants 41 pass attempts.

"There was no conspiracy here. The Giants didn't decide to take their best player out of the game plan this week. Beckham just wasn’t open for most of the game, and that’s because Lattimore was often covering him. The two paired up on 31 of Eli Manning’s 41 passing attempts. Beckham was targeted with Lattimore in direct coverage seven times. During live viewing, it appeared he made four catches for 49 yards.

That isn’t a bad number for Beckham. It’s respectable. But his longest reception against Lattimore was for 27 yards, and it came late in the fourth quarter when the Saints were playing prevent defense and Lattimore was lined up several yards off the line of scrimmage."

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_63e43bc0-c51b-11e8-95fe-bbd55cb71a7f.html

11 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread. Lattimore shut Beckham down yesterday. For the naysayers saying Lattimore "didn't shadow him", he still lined up against Beckham on 31 of the Giants 41 pass attempts.

"There was no conspiracy here. The Giants didn't decide to take their best player out of the game plan this week. Beckham just wasn’t open for most of the game, and that’s because Lattimore was often covering him. The two paired up on 31 of Eli Manning’s 41 passing attempts. Beckham was targeted with Lattimore in direct coverage seven times. During live viewing, it appeared he made four catches for 49 yards.

That isn’t a bad number for Beckham. It’s respectable. But his longest reception against Lattimore was for 27 yards, and it came late in the fourth quarter when the Saints were playing prevent defense and Lattimore was lined up several yards off the line of scrimmage."

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_63e43bc0-c51b-11e8-95fe-bbd55cb71a7f.html

Lattimore wasn’t playing 1v1 first off so he didn’t shut him down and given the game plan of the Giants he didn’t have to defend much because everything was quick drops.

40 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Eh, the Giants had a bad game plan. Saints have been destroyed by deep passes and they all they tried to do was dink and dunk down the field. 

You can say that but the Saints tried to prevent the big play and put their safeties back and the Giants were missing two of their 3 deep targets. So I can see why they set out like that and the Saints sure as heck aren’t gonna let Beckham run deep and be 1v1

Archived