2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

34 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If Verrett is healthy and starting, what happens to Moore? Witherspoon?

They'll be regulated to the bench which isn't necessarily a bad thing for either. Moore is young and still learning the nuainces of a new position. I thought he looked pretty good for a raw rookie last year but the ideal scenario was for him is to sit and watch for a year or two regardless. 'Spoon needed competition. We tried anointing him as the 'future'@CB and it kinda backfired. He regressed last year and though he kind of picked up his play before the end of the season, it's obviously we can't fully trust him opposite Sherman. Verrett allows him to earn the starting spot against a vet who has played at a extremely high level in the league. If he wins the competition then that says a lot about his future going forward. If he doesn't if means he's not quite ready as a starter and coming off the bench may be better for his overall development instead of putting him in a role he's not quite ready for. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

How many guys from the prior regime have we cut this season and last? It's not many. Most of that bloodletting happened in 2017. I don't know if we had any real big money guys this or last. Plus, dead money is usually a single year hit on the first year unless it's a June 1 cut or pay June 1 trade. There were a couple couple of bigger ones - bow and Vance for example that trickled over in 2018.

This 40 million is mostly going to be from the lynch regime.  A tenth of this is Cooper. Garcon over 7mil is nearly 20.. Between those two, it's almost 30% of the total.  Coyle. Foster is over 2 mil this year. Earl Mitchell is 1.5. Sneezy, hoyer, Foster were over 5 last year (Foster hit both years). Kerley (this regime gave him the extension), dumervil, etc. Take out your standard roster fodder cuts who have a minor signing bonuses and whatnot, and this is a lot of this regime

Now, taking out those two big guys (Vance and bow) it's a lot better, but those are some big, bad decisions from this regime in a short period of time. Not to mention the "dead" money that doesn't read as dead money (basically, wasted overpays that were entirely unnecessary- looking at you Smith and Jet).

Doesn't take away from the fact that it hasn't impacted the roster in any way. Lynch and Shannahan have gotten the guys that they have wanted, whether those are the guys that you or I would have wanted is a different story. A story we don't have the entire picture of. I'm sure they would love for the guys that are perfect fits for their systems being available when and where they want them to be so they have to go with temporary solutions. Sometimes you can't get those solutions for the price you want to pay more than you want to. 

I reiterate once again, 4.5 million per year over the league average of dead space is not a big deal. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If Verrett is healthy and starting, what happens to Moore? Witherspoon?

Nothing, they compete for the 4th CB spot and get in some dime packages or get in when one of the starting outside corners gets hurt. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nothing, they compete for the 4th CB spot and get in some dime packages or get in when one of the starting outside corners gets hurt. 

This. Let's no pretend Sherman and Verrett are going to stay fully healthy and play every snap. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Spoon and Moore playing a significant amount of snaps this season and even start some games.

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Doesn't take away from the fact that it hasn't impacted the roster in any way. Lynch and Shannahan have gotten the guys that they have wanted, whether those are the guys that you or I would have wanted is a different story. A story we don't have the entire picture of. I'm sure they would love for the guys that are perfect fits for their systems being available when and where they want them to be so they have to go with temporary solutions. Sometimes you can't get those solutions for the price you want to pay more than you want to. 

I reiterate once again, 4.5 million per year over the league average of dead space is not a big deal. 

Yeah, and we are also top 10 in dead money this year. One of the teams ahead of us is Pitt, who's dead money hit this year is nearly entirely comprised of AB (about 2 million otherwise), not really indicative of what's going on with the roster. Another team is the Browns, who's dead money hit is largely comprised of moves that were done in service of improving the team (trading Zeitler + Peppers for Vernon / OBJ). The remaining teams ahead of us aren't exactly front office's known for being good. You're talking the Dolphins, Giants, Jags, Broncos, Cards and Ravens (who's hit is made up mostly of the trade of Flacco). 

But there's always justification for some pretty poor decisions made with personnel with this regime for some reason. 

16 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

I know I should probably drop it but, 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826053-49ers-rumors-sf-was-engaged-in-odell-beckham-trade-talks-no-2-pick-discussed

The Niners had interest, they just didn't want to drop the #2 pick for him, which I agree with. 

Jay Glazer is not a reliable source.

There is absolutely no way the 49ers were remotely interested in OBJ. If you think they were, you do not understand who John Lynch and Jed York are. These are two guys who are obsessed with their phony idea of "class," and OBJ is the exact opposite of the kind of player they want in that regard. 

And OBJ ended up being traded for LESS value than the #2 overall pick. They could've had him for Tartt and their first 2 picks next year. They never even made an offer because they weren't interested (because of OBJ's perceived personality). 

6 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

There is absolutely no way the 49ers were remotely interested in OBJ. If you think they were, you do not understand who John Lynch and Jed York are. These are two guys who are obsessed with their phony idea of "class," and OBJ is the exact opposite of the kind of player they want in that regard. 

And OBJ ended up being traded for LESS value than the #2 overall pick. They could've had him for Tartt and their first 2 picks next year. They never even made an offer because they weren't interested (because of OBJ's perceived personality). 

Jay Glazer is not a reliable source? He's the one that made the bold prediction that the Giants will trade OBJ and said it was because he had heard a week prior that team met and decided it was time to move on from him. Glazer is very reliable. 

And it was stated by Glazer and others that we have been interested in OBJ dating back to last season. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jay Glazer is not a reliable source? He's the one that made the bold prediction that the Giants will trade OBJ and said it was because he had heard a week prior that team met and decided it was time to move on from him. Glazer is very reliable. 

And it was stated by Glazer and others that we have been interested in OBJ dating back to last season. 

That's not how this is done, J. Glazer, who has been doing this for decades, has ins with the NFL, predicted this would happen weeks before it actually did, is simply not as reliable as random poster's claim that we could have had OBJ for Tartt and future picks....

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's not how this is done, J. Glazer, who has been doing this for decades, has ins with the NFL, predicted this would happen weeks before it actually did, is simply not as reliable as random poster's claim that we could have had OBJ for Tartt and future picks....

But I thought certitude of delivery implied knowledgability! You have disillusioned me, sir!

1 hour ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Brah stop making up stuff, and pretend you know things that no one else does.

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Brah stop making up stuff, and pretend you know things that no one else does.

Dave Gettleman, GM of the Giants, is not a reliable source of information for things pertaining to the Giants. Get with it!

Archived