Titans WR Rishard Matthews Asks Team For Release

Broncofan

2 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Yeah not even close, Buffalo and Dallas exist. 

Not at all, he's just injured and wasn't getting the playing time because he's injured. No team will sign him until there's an injury/he's healthy not an indication of his attitude or character 

I've seen Titans/NFL fans bash Matthews  in this thread because he went against the team, I kind of get it but he's in the right here.

Pats have one NFL quality WR - Hogan and absolute garbage that even Tom Brady can’t make look good and Hogan is a #2 at best. Beasley is better than anyone the Pats have right now and probably better than anyone they’ll end the year with. I’d easily take Hurns/Williams over Patterson/Dorsett. 

The Bills group is awful but Benjamin is probably similar to Hogan and the rest of their group is pretty similar to the Pats garbage 

Again, if Edelman and Gordon are good, it’s different. But the Pats are dressing 3 WR right now and 2 of them (Patterson and Dorsett) don't belong in the NFL as WR. When you have one mediocre guy as your only NFL quality WR and trash behind him, you are at least tied for worst in the league. Definitely worse than Dallas, maybe not Buffalo but at least they have a few guys with a shred of upside.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Not sure how Matthews is in the right. Team is trying to ease him back from a knee injury so he doesn't make it worse, but is still giving him 50% of the snaps, give or take, and even worked with him on a contract this past off-season despite the fact that he missed most of training camp with said injury. And we've been without our LT for a game and a half, QB for a game and a half, starting RT and backup RT for a couple games, so the passing game wasn't really getting going to much of anyone, so him complaining about targets doesn't even make sense either.

Dude is a slower, possession style receiver. Reliable on third downs and over the middle. A poor man's later career Anquan Boldin. Has worth, but in our limited offense to start the year due to injuries, targeting him a ton wasn't going to make any sense, he doesn't have the quickness/agility in the open field like a Davis or a Taylor to make the mass amount of short and screen passes we were having to run due to the injuries work.

But instead of waiting for this game against Philly where the offense was gonna have it's LT in place, Conklin was gonna be back at RT and Mariota has improved enough to remove the limitations off the playbook, he just quits.

Matthews is a crybaby and quit on the team. He deserves no kind of props or credit for "being right".

Literally right before the season started he gave some quote that he was willing to do whatever was needed to help the team win. So much for that I guess.

Dude plays through an injury he probably shouldn't be because he wants to help the team win, he isn't productive with the snaps and probably asks the coaching staff to make the snaps count (Which is where he complains about targets). Obviously the situation wasn't ideal for that but he still guts it out anyway, even though the coaching staff isn't giving him targets and he's probably questioning why he's playing only for it not to matter because he's not getting the targets wants/thinks he deserves because he's gutting out an injury. It snowballs from there and the divide with the coaching staff gets to the point where he quits on the team. 

Coaching staff shouldn't have played him at all and put him on the PUP/sat him for a few games until he's closer to being healthy (he clearly isn't 100% or looks like he shouldn't be playing) and clearly explained this to him.

This situation screams disconnect with the coaching staff, you don't just quit on a team because you're not getting your way (Unless you're an idiot/Have issues you need to deal) Rishad Matthews isn't to blame here IMO. 

Every single fan is quick to blame the player but there's a lot going on behind the scenes the casual fan will never hear about. 

29 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Pats have one NFL quality WR - Hogan and absolute garbage that even Tom Brady can’t make look good and Hogan is a #2 at best. Beasley is better than anyone the Pats have right now and probably better than anyone they’ll end the year with. I’d easily take Hurns/Williams over Patterson/Dorsett. 

The Bills group is awful but Benjamin is probably similar to Hogan and the rest of their group is pretty similar to the Pats garbage 

Again, if Edelman and Gordon are good, it’s different. But the Pats are dressing 3 WR right now and 2 of them (Patterson and Dorsett) don't belong in the NFL as WR. When you have one mediocre guy as your only NFL quality WR and trash behind him, you are at least tied for worst in the league. Definitely worse than Dallas, maybe not Buffalo but at least they have a few guys with a shred of upside.

Your garbage is worse than other team's garbage, why exactly? I mean if we're talking passcatchers the Patriots are by default pretty solid with James White+Gronk. 

8 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

You think Cordarrelle Patterson, Philip Dorsett and Chris Hogan is a better group than Beasley, Hurns, Williams? Really? Have you watched the Pats guys “play” this year? 

Checks the schedule and sees we played the Pats...

No I haven't seen them play *eye roll*

Have you seen Dallas play at all? Their offense is Zeke...thats the whole offense. I would gladly take Hogan over those 3 for sure. And at least Patterson provides some speed to make defenses honest. Hurns and Williams still won't separate and Beasley is all slot. Something Edelman will do better at anyways

This man has quit on two teams... Made some big plays for us but I dont want a quitter on my team cause your mad your not getting the snaps or the targets when clearly our QB has been hurt since week 1. Who really knows what happened behind the scenes but its seemed to light a fire in Corey and hes starting to play like a top 5 pick this year. CD had a big day today but has been abusing CBs all year just havent had the QB play. Anyways good luck quitter. Sorry to who ever signs him. Imma have to hate your team LOL 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 10:26 PM, mcmurtry86 said:

You think Cordarrelle Patterson, Philip Dorsett and Chris Hogan is a better group than Beasley, Hurns, Williams? Really? Have you watched the Pats guys “play” this year? 

Texans played 'em both. Dallas is FAR worse.

I know a guy on the Titans, and he told me that Mathews waited for the guaranteed money in his contract to become fully guaranteed and then he "dipped". 

I can understand why no one would want to sign him. What is the guarantee that he wouldn't do the same thing again? 

Really surprising because he always seemed like a professional. Good run blocker, high effort kind of guy. Strange. 

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

I know a guy on the Titans, and he told me that Mathews waited for the guaranteed money in his contract to become fully guaranteed and then he "dipped". 

I can understand why no one would want to sign him. What is the guarantee that he wouldn't do the same thing again? 

Really surprising because he always seemed like a professional. Good run blocker, high effort kind of guy. Strange. 

Sign him to a contract with $0 guarantees

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Sign him to a contract with $0 guarantees

I meant, what would stop him from just quitting on your team mid-season and leave you hanging? 

No guaranteed money is a given. 

I'm sure other coaches/gms have called the titans and I'm also sure they have nothing but bad things to say about what happened. 

On 9/29/2018 at 9:26 PM, mcmurtry86 said:

Terrance Williams alone makes any argument about talent invalid.

Archived