2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

Plus money seems to be the problem right now. Hand is only $1-2 million less than Gomes and at best they provide the same value. So you basically traded Mejia for $2 million a year in cap relief.

Well they also knew they were going to lose Allen and Miller in the offseason. The trade at least gets them a closer for the next 2-3seasons. I think they didnt like Mejia attitude either. He could have been a starting corner OF for the Indians this year if he was willing to move positions. I think it also shows how much they like Eric Haase as a catcher for the organization. They are setting up for a run in 2020 IMO. clearing cap space, getting prospect for Gomes and will have cap space to spend next off season

Gorkys was a surprisingly useful player for the Giants last year for stretches, but is largely just a dude, so not really shocked by that. Maybe just because we don't have anyone as a backup outfielder that I trust in the field, and Dugger now becomes the only centerfielder on the roster. 

Strickland is probably the more surprising one. He's got a ten cent head, and he's inconsistent as can be, but he does have decent stuff. He's coming off a bad year, but he's basically alternated good and bad years for the Giants. Was never going to be a closer though. Just don't think that he had the mental make up for it. Given that he's also 30, I can see the reasoning here. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Strickland is probably the more surprising one. He's got a ten cent head, and he's inconsistent as can be, but he does have decent stuff. He's coming off a bad year, but he's basically alternated good and bad years for the Giants. Was never going to be a closer though. Just don't think that he had the mental make up for it. Given that he's also 30, I can see the reasoning here. 

I thought we would bring him back and then trade him to someone for a lottery ticket. Guess not. Whatever. 

I'm still puzzled that the Indians have Kluber on the market. I think aside from Ramirez he'd be their safest player. to stay there.

An update on MLB Hall of Fame Voting:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!11134&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ACeqm-knNxexBw8

Only early yet but Clemens at 75% is possibly good for his HOF chances. I think him and Bonds make it in by 2021 or 2022. 

7 hours ago, tom cody said:

I'm still puzzled that the Indians have Kluber on the market. I think aside from Ramirez he'd be their safest player. to stay there.

An update on MLB Hall of Fame Voting:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!11134&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ACeqm-knNxexBw8

Only early yet but Clemens at 75% is possibly good for his HOF chances. I think him and Bonds make it in by 2021 or 2022. 

....Lindor?

10 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Has there been any news whatsoever on the Machado and Harper front? 

I was listening to Duquette and Bowden on MLB Network radio on my way to church this morning, they are both expecting a decision for both at the Winter Meetings, because why wouldn't you take advantage of the Vegas backdrop to announce either signing?  However, both agents are negotiating off extremely high numbers right now, which could impact that projection.  

18 hours ago, N4L said:

I thought we would bring him back and then trade him to someone for a lottery ticket. Guess not. Whatever. 

Yeah, I think he would have been gone last year had he had an even remotely solid season. I figure the market would be very light around him. At 30 years old, I don't hate moving younger (and cheaper) in this regard. I was simply never really in love with Strickland. 

Archived