2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

If Cano signed a ten year deal at age 26 it would've been one of the better contracts in baseball history for the Yankees.

Instead he disappeared into the oblivion that was/is the Pacific Northwest - never to be heard from again. If Mr. Machado isnt careful and all the up and coming talent in the Padres minors doesnt pan out or the organization doesnt continue to stock that team with talent.....he could suffer a similar fate. Theres nothing more "off the beaten path" than a second tier team in the last time zone we've got.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Instead he disappeared into the oblivion that was/is the Pacific Northwest - never to be heard from again. If Mr. Machado isnt careful and all the up and coming talent in the Padres minors doesnt pan out or the organization doesnt continue to stock that team with talent.....he could suffer a similar fate. Theres nothing more "off the beaten path" than a second tier team in the last time zone we've got.

Where else is he supposed to sign if you don't think the Yankees should get him?

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

A-Rod's first 10 year deal worked out so well he got a second 10 year deal, and put up 50 WAR (or a HoF career) during the second 10 year deal. Saying they never work is flat wrong.

Congrats that's one of what eight? Excellent percentage and provides and obvious model for doing business. It's obvious from that these 10 year deals don't work but lets keep giving them out by all means. Maybe the next team will be 2 of 9. 

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Congrats that's one of what eight? Excellent percentage and provides and obvious model for doing business. It's obvious from that these 10 year deals don't work but lets keep giving them out by all means. Maybe the next team will be 2 of 9. 

As mentioned before, how many were given out to guys who were 26?

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

A-Rod's first 10 year deal worked out so well he got a second 10 year deal, and put up 50 WAR (or a HoF career) during the second 10 year deal. Saying they never work is flat wrong.

He didn’t put up 50 WAR during the second deal.  More like 20.

Tbh though I blame Hal and his buddy Manfred for the public character assassination.

Tbh what I’ve never understood about the Harper thing is why the Yankees dont seem to think they need him.  

If anything they need him more than Machado.  Machado was eventually going to have to take a spot from Andujar, Torres, or Didi who are all well above average MLB starters if not All Stars.  Andujar would’ve been traded next offseason if not during the season. 

Whose the Yankees LF?  They clearly dont want to play Stanton out their regularly.  Brett Gardner is an old flea.  Clint Frazier and Jacoby Ellsbury are broken and haven’t shown us anything to want them to to come back.  You’re telling me Harper isn’t a clear upgrade over any of those players? 

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Tbh what I’ve never understood about the Harper thing is why the Yankees dont seem to think they need him.  

If anything they need him more than Machado.  Machado was eventually going to have to take a spot from Andujar, Torres, or Didi who are all well above average MLB starters if not All Stars.  Andujar would’ve been traded next offseason if not during the season. 

Whose the Yankees LF?  They clearly dont want to play Stanton out their regularly.  Brett Gardner is an old flea.  Clint Frazier and Jacoby Ellsbury are broken and haven’t shown us anything to want them to to come back.  You’re telling me Harper isn’t a clear upgrade over any of those players? 

I agree and have always felt Harper / outfield help was a better fit than Machado.
The NYY dont agree however. Why specifically? Dont know, cant say, but it is what it is.

Just now, Leader said:

I agree and have always felt Harper / outfield help was a better fit than Machado.
The NYY dont agree however. Why specifically? Dont know, cant say, but it is what it is.

Idk I think they’re just cheap and it was an easy excuse 

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Idk I think they’re just cheap and it was an easy excuse 

Well - there's the gross revenues argument again. I'm not sure if the numbers have been updated properly, but right now they've got the 3rd highest payroll in the MLB. Maybe - just maybe - they dont think the guy's worth it.

Did he put the Nats over the top? Nope. It would have been interesting if Soto had played a similar number of games as Harper. Not sure why (cause I dont follow the Nats) Soto played less games - but his WAR was just under Harper's. Now the Nats extended some kind of extended contract offer to Harper - but one could consider their money could be better invested scouring the DR for another Soto. Just say'in. 

5 hours ago, mission27 said:

Tbh though I blame Hal and his buddy Manfred for the public character assassination.

You might want to consider Arod responsible for what happened to him. Just a bit. Maybe.

Arod was a user. He got caught. Multiple times. Badly. In the last "career ending" situation, the NYY organization didnt publicly defend him once they became aware of the evidence against him - and there was a lot of credible evidence.

No player is worth more than the organization. None. Once Arod started trashing the organization and members of it as part of his defense - the NYY were right to cut him loose.  How MLB adjudicated Arods situation in terms of penalty and such is irrelevant to me.

He got caught - again - and it cost him the end of his career. Thats on Arod. Not Hal or the NYY.

Arod could have petitioned the NYY for his outright release so he could pursue his career further. He didnt ask because he was toxic. Nobody wanted him near their locker room. Arod decided (rightly IMO) to take his cash and go away.

Archived