2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Man who comes up with this craziness? I like it as a way to sort of help balance things out but I cant imagine it alters what the high dollar teams do too much

Never has and never will most teams drafting in the late 1st round will gladly give up a pick that late to sign a elite level player and not be phased by it one bit because they can always trade another top tier player for tons of prospects and just sign a new high priced FA the same offseason xD

SI:

Need another sign that increased velocity is changing the game? Now it’s affecting manufacturing. MLB is using new batting helmets this year. These ones are built to withstand fastballs up to 105 mph. The old ones were rated up to 100 mph. Last year there were 1,320 pitches thrown at 100 mph or greater. Eight of them hit a batter. A.J. Pollock gets the prize for the highest velocity hit by a pitch: a 104.3 mph heater from Jordan Hicks that struck his left forearm.

8 hours ago, tom cody said:

Saw those tweets from Canseco, interesting for sure. Canseco's always been sort of out there with his opinions so is this another 1 or the truth? We'll have to see what happens.

On the one hand it’s pretty believable that arod has been banging Jose Cansecos wife for 10 yeaea and cheating on JLo

On the other hand Jose Canseco is ******* crazy 

On 3/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, FalconFan13 said:

I'll use kimbrels as a way to try and explain it and use a articles info that sorta tells about it.

"Teams have the option of extending a qualifying offer to their impending free agents within five days of the end of the World Series, as long as that player spent the entire season with the organization. The offer is a one-year deal worth an average of the league’s 125 highest paid players, which amounts to $17.9 million this year.

The benefit of extending the qualifying offer is that if Kimbrel does sign elsewhere, the Red Sox will receive a compensation draft pick. Since Boston was over the luxury tax this season, they will receive a pick after the fourth round instead of after the Competitive Balance round that follows the first round. This reduced compensation, in addition to having their first-round pick moved back 10 spots, is a reminder of why teams are cautious about exceeding the luxury tax. It’s not just about the money, folks. "

I actually thought it was a 1st or 2nd round pick we would be giving back but i see it's only a 4th since they are over the Lux. Tax   Im actually ok with a 4th round pick on a 2 year deal instead.   Still wouldn't go 1 year as i don't think we are ready to win the world series this year but might be next year with a bit more maturing and a few more free agents.  So a 2year deal for a 4th is acceptable.  Still would much rather do a 3 year to 5 year deal overall though if we give up any pick.

Red Sox gain a 4th round pick but the Braves will lose their third pick, which is in the second round since they have two first rounders.

6 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Red Sox gain a 4th round pick but the Braves will lose their third pick, which is in the second round since they have two first rounders.

Yeah which sorta sucks and is one of the main reasons i don't want kimbrel for anything less than 3 years.  On a 1 or 2 year deal im not sure we are ready enough to compete for the WS to waste early picks like that.  If were not ready by 3 years then something has gone wrong because we have the prospects and we should have the money if they would fricken spend it compared to what their bringing in lol.

Archived