2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/sources-bryce-harper-giants-have-discussed-10-year-contract

Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area reports that the Giants have discussed a 10-year deal with Bryce Harper.

It was previously believed that the Giants only had interest in Harper on a short-term pact, whereas a 10-year offer would presumably put them right in the running with the Phillies. Giants CEO Larry Baer and president Farhan Zaidi flew to Las Vegas on Tuesday to meet with Harper and his agent, Scott Boras. It was the second such meeting between the two parties. Harper, 26, is presumably looking to top the 10-year, $300 million deal that Manny Machado signed last week with the Padres

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/19355/bryce-harper

10 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/sources-bryce-harper-giants-have-discussed-10-year-contract

Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area reports that the Giants have discussed a 10-year deal with Bryce Harper.

It was previously believed that the Giants only had interest in Harper on a short-term pact, whereas a 10-year offer would presumably put them right in the running with the Phillies. Giants CEO Larry Baer and president Farhan Zaidi flew to Las Vegas on Tuesday to meet with Harper and his agent, Scott Boras. It was the second such meeting between the two parties. Harper, 26, is presumably looking to top the 10-year, $300 million deal that Manny Machado signed last week with the Padres

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/19355/bryce-harper

It'd be a horrible waste of money and talent.  The Giants farm system is barren, they're not on the verge of competing and would waste the prime years of Harper's career (nevermind that it's a horrible park for him).  I don't think he's going to go there, only using them for leverage for more $$ elsewhere.

2 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

I thought it was stupid for ARod to opt out of his contract and I thought it was stupid for the Yankees to re-sign him at the same rate for another 10 years.  They had most of the leverage and wasted it IMO.

Agree entirely. One of the causitive reasons I'm against overpaying individual players for extended periods.
IMO the return has consistently waned or not lived up to the cost/investment.

2 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

It'd be a horrible waste of money and talent.  The Giants farm system is barren, they're not on the verge of competing and would waste the prime years of Harper's career (nevermind that it's a horrible park for him).  I don't think he's going to go there, only using them for leverage for more $$ elsewhere.

It’s never a bad thing to add a talent like Harper, regardless of where you’re at in a rebuild. 

4 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

I thought it was stupid for ARod to opt out of his contract and I thought it was stupid for the Yankees to re-sign him at the same rate for another 10 years.  They had most of the leverage and wasted it IMO.

Hank was the Don Jr. of the Steinbrenner family.

49 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

It’s never a bad thing to add a talent like Harper, regardless of where you’re at in a rebuild. 

could not agree more. If you are three years away, then great, youll have him at 29 years old

the giants have been soooo bad at developing outfielders and guys with power. 

29 minutes ago, N4L said:

could not agree more. If you are three years away, then great, youll have him at 29 years old

the giants have been soooo bad at developing outfielders and guys with power. 

But they're not 3 years away...what's in the pipeline to make them any good?

9 hours ago, Leader said:

You might want to consider Arod responsible for what happened to him. Just a bit. Maybe.

Arod was a user. He got caught. Multiple times. Badly. In the last "career ending" situation, the NYY organization didnt publicly defend him once they became aware of the evidence against him - and there was a lot of credible evidence.

No player is worth more than the organization. None. Once Arod started trashing the organization and members of it as part of his defense - the NYY were right to cut him loose.  How MLB adjudicated Arods situation in terms of penalty and such is irrelevant to me.

He got caught - again - and it cost him the end of his career. Thats on Arod. Not Hal or the NYY.

Arod could have petitioned the NYY for his outright release so he could pursue his career further. He didnt ask because he was toxic. Nobody wanted him near their locker room. Arod decided (rightly IMO) to take his cash and go away.

Were all users man.  Pick your drug.  Blissful ignorance counts

Also the only “career ending situation” for ARod was his batting average.  After carrying the franchise for 10 years and winning a World Series they cut him loose just shy of 700 home runs to avoid paying a bonus and / or to spite him.  

If it was about the steroids he wouldn’t have played for them in 2015.  He was actually a productive player so they welcomed him with open arms.  When he wasn’t productive anymore they threw him in the garbage. 

In the middle of a pennant race, ok, but that team was going nowhere and shedding productive vets too.  ARod deserved better.  He should’ve been allowed to play out the year and retire with dignity.

Just another case of Hal putting saving a nickel over doing what is in the best interest of the franchise and it’s image.

Archived