2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Actually - realizing we're fans of the same team and therefore have no reason to hassle each other - I never said (or implied) "100 was enough".
I dont feel that way at all - but there were any number of factors that played into them ONLY winning 100 games: Bird, Sanchez (non factor seasons) ; AJs month(s) out ; a pitching staff that was short. Personally, I think the failure to get Cole was more a factor in the end results than failure to spend more.

In any case - w/o getting into the roster and performance weeds of last year - I believe, the NYY have been one of (if not the) highest spender this off season. Not sure if we're number one.....but we're close if not - as I mentioned elsewhere, its was where they decided to put their cash.

Agree that not getting Cole was a huge mistake as I said at the time.  

But there's more than one way to skin a cat, you take opportunities to get better.  

As to your list... 

Greg Bird is a piece of **** who will never play for the Yankees again.  Luke Voit is 10x better but some regression should be expected.  Maybe having the real Luke Voit for a full season balances out having Greg Bird for half a season and Lou Gehrig for the other half. 

Agree Gary will be better

Hopefully Judge stays healthy all year... but we did have a healthy Stanton and Severino all season, if one of them gets hurt its almost the same deal

The pitching staff remains shallow, Paxton was a nice addition but we're still relying on a couple of guys who are old as dirt and a bunch of questions marks behind them.. oh and Paxton is always hurt

My point is more could go worse than better... easily... you never know.  Putting a Hall of Famer in the middle of your lineup is going to make your team a lot better.  So its disappointing they didnt make more of an effort on either guy

Another easy way to make your team better? 

Sign Machado and trade Andujar for young cost controlled pitching.  Win-win.  You significantly improve your lineup, defense, and pitching. 

Seems like they considered it but were only willing to make the move for Syndegard or someone of that ilk but in reality a quality #3 starter who is young, healthy, and cost controlled is a hell of a lot better than relying on JA Happ.

27 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Agree that not getting Cole was a huge mistake as I said at the time.  

But there's more than one way to skin a cat, you take opportunities to get better.  

As to your list... 

Greg Bird is a piece of **** who will never play for the Yankees again.  Luke Voit is 10x better but some regression should be expected.  Maybe having the real Luke Voit for a full season balances out having Greg Bird for half a season and Lou Gehrig for the other half. 

Agree Gary will be better

Hopefully Judge stays healthy all year... but we did have a healthy Stanton and Severino all season, if one of them gets hurt its almost the same deal

The pitching staff remains shallow, Paxton was a nice addition but we're still relying on a couple of guys who are old as dirt and a bunch of questions marks behind them.. oh and Paxton is always hurt

My point is more could go worse than better... easily... you never know.  Putting a Hall of Famer in the middle of your lineup is going to make your team a lot better.  So its disappointing they didnt make more of an effort on either guy

Regards Cole - I wasnt there at the time. Rather - I was in "dont trade the kids" mode - in this case: Frazier.
Well - one year lost to concussion issues - and with a cloudy future of if/when he'll take a "normal" tumble and the issues will return - plus Cole putting it all together in HOU - I think I was wrong. Hopefully Frazier can restore my faith in him.

I was okay with Bird going in to last year - but have soured on him considerably. First base is a production point. We need a hitter at that position and Bird has been....challenged to provide anything steady. I'm cool with Voit. The D's not as good - but the bat produces. Hopefully the pitchers dont recognize a hole (or holes) in his swing and start shutting him down.

Sanchez concerns me to be honest. Dont talk to me about his skills behind the plate - but I'm wondering (if like Voit mentioned above) the pitchers have figured him out - i.e. - dead red when off the plate - breaking / off speed out pitches. Hanging my hat on injuries being the culprit....if not - a .200 hitter cant be our everyday catcher. 

Agree with you regards the pitching staff. If the wrong umps are behind the plate and they're not giving the corners to CC and Tanaka - those pitch counts can soar really fast and short stints ensue.

Well....not gonna breakdown the either roster LOL. We'll see how things play out. Hopefully Bird and Sanchez will find their swings again.
It's Spring Training. Hope is supposed to spring eternal right? :)

Archived