2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's 6/$50MM in total cost with the posting fee, and yeah, I saw that.

I had him mentally pegged for total cost of 5/$75MM going into the offseason, but want to know what @Thelonebillsfan is hearing.

Sub $6M per with posting. I've heard as low as $4M for a couple teams. 6/42 is higher than most I'vr been hearing. It's nuts. He's way too good for that to be his #. So either his shoulder is really bad or people are making a huge mistake. 

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Sub $6M per with posting. I've heard as low as $4M for a couple teams. 6/42 is higher than most I'vr been hearing. It's nuts. He's way too good for that to be his #. So either his shoulder is really bad or people are making a huge mistake. 

At that money he'd be a surplus guy just as a reliever.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At that money he'd be a surplus guy just as a reliever.

I think that's what's dragging the price down. Lot of teams viewing him as more of a utility weapon out of the pen rather than a starter. Not unreasonable to do so he's never pushed past 160 innings. Still would make him a starter till he showed me he couldn't handle it.

39 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I think that's what's dragging the price down. Lot of teams viewing him as more of a utility weapon out of the pen rather than a starter. Not unreasonable to do so he's never pushed past 160 innings. Still would make him a starter till he showed me he couldn't handle it.

He's such a good fit for the Brewers it's ridiculous. 2 times through the order works as a start for us, just make it 5 quality innings.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's such a good fit for the Brewers it's ridiculous. 2 times through the order works as a start for us, just make it 5 quality innings.

Sits at 97, savage curve, workable out pitch with a change.

5 innings of that and convert him to a Hader like weapon in the playoffs and that's terrifying.

17 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Sits at 97, savage curve, workable out pitch with a change.

5 innings of that and convert him to a Hader like weapon in the playoffs and that's terrifying.

Kikuchi does not sit 97.

Also, hes missed two seasons due shoulder inflammation, and that issue resurfaced this season.

I dont think he can make it as a starter in MLB

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Kikuchi does not sit 97.

Also, hes missed two seasons due shoulder inflammation, and that issue resurfaced this season.

I dont think he can make it as a starter in MLB

I would agree.  Already has injury history, and that delivery doesn't look suited to starting every 5th day.  Could be a really good reliever though.

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I would agree.  Already has injury history, and that delivery doesn't look suited to starting every 5th day.  Could be a really good reliever though.

Some team is about to pay an arm and a leg for James Paxton, who has thrown 74, 67, 121, 136, and 160.1 IP since 2014. Kikuchi has thrown 139.2, 133, 143, 187.2, and 163.2 IP over that same span.

I'm not saying the quality of Kikuchi's innings would match that of Paxton's; Paxton is a better pitcher when he's healthy. But is anybody criticizing the Mariners for keeping Paxton in the rotation?

There isn't enough durability for 200 IP a year. That's fine, all of 13 guys in baseball did that last year. But there's potential for 160 quality innings. That's a starter in today's age.

48 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Some team is about to pay an arm and a leg for James Paxton, who has thrown 74, 67, 121, 136, and 160.1 IP since 2014. Kikuchi has thrown 139.2, 133, 143, 187.2, and 163.2 IP over that same span.

I'm not saying the quality of Kikuchi's innings would match that of Paxton's; Paxton is a better pitcher when he's healthy. But is anybody criticizing the Mariners for keeping Paxton in the rotation?

There isn't enough durability for 200 IP a year. That's fine, all of 13 guys in baseball did that last year. But there's potential for 160 quality innings. That's a starter in today's age.

I don't think there's even that.  He couldn't stay healthy pitching once a week in Japan, and now he would be expected to start every 5th day in the US?  The track record isn't exactly glowing for healthy arms coming over to the 5 man rotation, nevertheless an already hurt one. 

8 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I don't think there's even that.  He couldn't stay healthy pitching once a week in Japan, and now he would be expected to start every 5th day in the US?  The track record isn't exactly glowing for healthy arms coming over to the 5 man rotation, nevertheless an already hurt one. 

He was throwing at least 100 pitches every start. Not really that big a difference between 100+ pitches every 7 days and 80 pitches every 5 days.

Archived