2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

14 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Way to pull 1 season of stats. How about his .902 and .824 OPS the 2 seasons prior?

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

if I'm the Orioles, I definitely put a claim on Bour and hope he can regain his form from his best season- a .902 OPS- or his career average of .811.  Bour's power will play well at Camden Yards and he is someone they can spin for prospects at the deadline if he has a bounce back year.  

30 years old, can only play first base, career OPS of .811. He's worth taking a flyer on by a team without much going for it. But the fact that he couldn't hit in Philly is concerning to say the least.

19 minutes ago, Slateman said:

30 years old, can only play first base, career OPS of .811. He's worth taking a flyer on by a team without much going for it. But the fact that he couldn't hit in Philly is concerning to say the least.

He's a good platoon guy at worst (career 0.853 OPS vs RHP). Someone could build a nice 1B platoon for cheap.

7 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

He's a good platoon guy at worst (career 0.853 OPS vs RHP). Someone could build a nice 1B platoon for cheap.

Don't disagree. Worth a team taking a flyer. I think the Phillies are clearing room to trade for Goldy.

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

So huge grain of salt because it's Nightengale, but man ....

I'm actually surprised more teams don't do this more often. Eating salary on a player like Grienke is effectively buying prospects. Maybe overpaying, but still giving you a chance.

A Grienke/Goldschmidt deal is definitely something Cashman should be looking into. That would get him one of his SP and improve a area of weakness is one foul swoop.

7 hours ago, Slateman said:

So huge grain of salt because it's Nightengale, but man ....

I'm actually surprised more teams don't do this more often. Eating salary on a player like Grienke is effectively buying prospects. Maybe overpaying, but still giving you a chance.

I'd definitely see the Cardinals being interested in a package like this.  Especially if they can help mitigate that salary by sending out Dexter Fowler as well.  Folwer is due $49.5M over the next 3 years, where as Greinke is due $104.5M over the next 3 years.  It'd be like getting Greinke at 3 years, $55M which is SIGNIFICANTLY more palatable.  A Fowler+prospects for Greinke/Goldschmidt deal would be HUGE.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd definitely see the Cardinals being interested in a package like this.  Especially if they can help mitigate that salary by sending out Dexter Fowler as well.  Folwer is due $49.5M over the next 3 years, where as Greinke is due $104.5M over the next 3 years.  It'd be like getting Greinke at 3 years, $55M which is SIGNIFICANTLY more palatable.  A Fowler+prospects for Greinke/Goldschmidt deal would be HUGE.

What kind of package would the Cards have to put together to add to Dex to get that done? 

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The whole system tbh.

If Paul Goldschmidt was signed beyond this year, I'd probably be inclined to agree.  But he's a FA at the end of the year, and there's really no incentive to sign an extension at this point.  If we project the price of WAR at $10M/WAR, that's roughly $50M in value which gives us a surplus value of $35.5M.  Using that same WAR estimation for Greinke and an average WAR of 3 WAR/year, you're looking at roughly $90M in value giving you a surplus of -$13.2M.  Add those two together, and you're getting roughly $22.3M in surplus value between the two of them.  Looking back at Point of Pittsburgh, you're looking at a hitter in that 51-75 range or a pitcher in that 51-75 range plus more.  The problem is the Cardinals' farm system isn't overly strong at the top.  I suppose the offer would start with someone like Luke Weaver or Dakota Hudson and work from there.  Maybe even Carson Kelly perhaps?

Archived