2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Somewhere @ramssuperbowl99 is raging...

Yep. It's horsecrap, and you know it. The Cardinals have one of the largest media markets in the MLB, and the MLB chooses not to count the surrounding areas that have been Cardinals fans forever and ever.

The Cardinals are basically the MLB's version of a welfare queen. They are getting tons of income from their TV revenue, the MLB isn't looking at it, and they get an extra handout as a result.

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep. It's horsecrap, and you know it. The Cardinals have one of the largest media markets in the MLB, and the MLB chooses not to count the surrounding areas that have been Cardinals fans forever and ever.

The Cardinals are basically the MLB's version of a welfare queen. They are getting tons of income from their TV revenue, the MLB isn't looking at it, and they get an extra handout as a result.

At least it was the worst pick available?

Image result for shoulder shrug gif

#Padres have discussed a trade with #Mariners in which they would acquire SS Jean Segura and RHP Mike Leake for OF Wil Myers, sources tell The Athletic. Leake would need to waive his no-trade clause for deal to occur, and also is weighing other potential options, one source says.

#Twins and #DBacks have had preliminary talks about a Paul Goldschmidt trade, source confirms, though the dialogue has not advanced in recent days. Minnesota had 5th-lowest OPS at first base of any @MLB team in 2018; Arizona had the best . . . because of Goldschmidt. @MLBNetwork

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1065028331698040832?s=21

3 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

Trading Segura for Myers makes no sense for the M's. Has to be more to those discussions. 

It gives them payroll flexibility, which could help them add to the major league roster.  Myers will make $5.5 million next year before his base salary jumps to $20 million plus due to the extension he signed.  Meanwhile, Segura is due almost $15 million in salary, along with Mike Leake's $16 million.  Even after Myers' number jumps, it still saves them a lot of money.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It gives them payroll flexibility, which could help them add to the major league roster.  Myers will make $5.5 million next year before his base salary jumps to $20 million plus due to the extension he signed.  Meanwhile, Segura is due almost $15 million in salary, along with Mike Leake's $16 million.  Even after Myers' number jumps, it still saves them a lot of money.  

So they get more payroll flexibility in a non-competitive year in exchange for less flexibility in a competitive year.

That makes no sense. For either team really.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So they get more payroll flexibility in a non-competitive year in exchange for less flexibility in a competitive year.

That makes no sense. For either team really.

If you listen to Dipoto, he wants to retool, not rebuild.  So even if he doesn't spend the money this year, he can bank $25 million and still have $10 million extra to work with in successive years.  

I'm not saying it's smart either, but having watched my Orioles try to desperately extend their window, I get it.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If you listen to Dipoto, he wants to retool, not rebuild.  So even if he doesn't spend the money this year, he can bank $25 million and still have $10 million extra to work with in successive years.  

I'm not saying it's smart either, but having watched my Orioles try to desperately extend their window, I get it.  

Every GM says they want to [X], not rebuild, because fans (sometimes correctly) interpret rebuild as "burn it to the ground, salt the fields, and start over". 

If you ever want to know what teams are planning, look at their actions, not their words. GMs are constantly forced to lie, tell half-truths, or give non-answers. It's just part of the job. And the actions here speak loud and clear; if the M's were looking to extend their competitive window, they wouldn't have just traded a potential ace, especially considering the upside if he pitches 200 IP this year going into a rental year. They aren't planning on competing this year, or the year after. Everything DiPoto says after that is GM-speak for "we want to keep butts in seats".

Paying Wil Myers $20M/year for 2 years in a competitive window is dumb in a vacuum. Giving up an asset in Segura to do it is even dumber. This makes no sense.

8 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

#Twins and #DBacks have had preliminary talks about a Paul Goldschmidt trade, source confirms, though the dialogue has not advanced in recent days. Minnesota had 5th-lowest OPS at first base of any @MLB team in 2018; Arizona had the best . . . because of Goldschmidt. @MLBNetwork

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1065028331698040832?s=21

I'll believe it when it happens, I would think it's just a cursory check to see what the price is, but if the Twins were to go in on a player, Goldschmidt wouldn't be one I would mind trading for.

Rays designated 1B/DJ C.J. Cron for assignment.

It's a surprise move after Cron put up 30 home runs for Tampa Bay in 2018, but the Rays were known to be shopping the 28-year-old slugger and could still attempt to work out a trade over the next several days. Cron's poor defense likely limits his market to American League teams.

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

Rays designated 1B/DJ C.J. Cron for assignment.

It's a surprise move after Cron put up 30 home runs for Tampa Bay in 2018, but the Rays were known to be shopping the 28-year-old slugger and could still attempt to work out a trade over the next several days. Cron's poor defense likely limits his market to American League teams.

They are just so dang cheap.  

Archived