2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

45 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Heard that as well. Got to think Machado would put the Yankees over the top in the AL East. Where would they slot him though on that team?

I doubt this what they'd do but I would release Tulo, move Gleybar to SS, Machado at 3B and DJLM at 2B. Andujar at DH and Stanton in LF. This would vastly improve INF defense

On 2/9/2019 at 2:56 PM, redsoxsuck05 said:

Offer him more.

why? What offer is out there that they need to beat? 

It appears players are set on these inflated #s and people expect teams to pay that just because. Teams are getting smarter, they arent giving out $30+ mil contracts and im not sure they should. Players need to adjust expectations on what they will get, and that is not wrong or unfair. 

13 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

why? What offer is out there that they need to beat? 

It appears players are set on these inflated #s and people expect teams to pay that just because. Teams are getting smarter, they arent giving out $30+ mil contracts and im not sure they should. Players need to adjust expectations on what they will get, and that is not wrong or unfair. 

If he hasn’t signed yet then it’s not enough money. I couldn’t care less about anything other than winning baseball games.

3 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

If he hasn’t signed yet then it’s not enough money. I couldn’t care less about anything other than winning baseball games.

well thats just not smart. Unless theres a higher offer the yankees would be silly to go higher. The market on fa's seems to be getting reset, players obviously want to reset that but they dont have a huge say in the matter unless they want to sit out.

16 hours ago, crab1106 said:

I doubt this what they'd do but I would release Tulo, move Gleybar to SS, Machado at 3B and DJLM at 2B. Andujar at DH and Stanton in LF. This would vastly improve INF defense

I'd rather have Harper frankly.

Harper in left.
Torres to SS (Till DD is ready).
Keep Andujar at 3rd.
DJLM at 2nd.
Stanton at DH. (Not sure how many innings / games Stanton played in left last year, but would think it best kept to a minimum. Too big, too slow). 

I wouldnt get rid of Tulo until he proves he's no longer got it.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I'd rather have Harper frankly.

Harper in left.
Torres to SS (Till DD is ready).
Keep Andujar at 3rd.
DJLM at 2nd.
Stanton at DH. (Not sure how many innings / games Stanton played in left last year, but would think it best kept to a minimum. Too big, too slow). 

I wouldnt get rid of Tulo until he proves he's no longer got it.

Agreed on Harper but it seems the Yanks were never interested in him. They must really hate his makeup. I agree on Tulo but the way that played out really seems like they give him a chance to start or he is released. 

27 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

Agreed on Harper but it seems the Yanks were never interested in him. They must really hate his makeup. I agree on Tulo but the way that played out really seems like they give him a chance to start or he is released. 

Does seem to be the case. As unlikely as I think them signing either player - at least they bought Machado a dinner.
I just like Harpers left hand bat plus - I'm not counting on Ellsbury to do anything other than get hurt again. It's what he does. Frazier's nothing but unfulfilled potential at this stage who just lost an entire year to concussion problems. Not a good sign for the future IMO. Gardner's "just this side" of becoming a part time player. We cant expect him to log the innings he has and still have anything left at the end of the season - and - Hicks is in his walk year. We could use Harper now (and going forward) more than Machado IMO.

3 hours ago, crab1106 said:

It'd be wildly ironic if they didn't like Harper's makeup, but was okay with Machado's.  Right now, the Yanks' OF is Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, and Aaron Hicks.  Harper probably can play CF at least for the start of his contract, but he will likely need to get moved off of center sooner rather than later especially if you don't want to run the risk of him wearing down.  That leaves Jacoby Ellsbury and Brett Gardner on the bench making almost $30M combined.  With Machado, you can slot him into SS right now leaving Andujar at 3B for the time being.  And when Didi comes back, Machado slides to 3B and Andujar moves to 1B or DH.  More versatility with Machado

Archived