What progress needs to be made on the 2021 CBA to avoid a lockout?

Cheesehawk

Was talking about this with my brother last night. We both feel with the way we are seeing players hold out for extended periods of time that a lockout in 2021 is almost certainly going to happen. What bridges need to be built between the NFLPA and the owners to avoid this potential loss of a season? The NFL brings in so much revenue now, you almost have to think the NFLPA holds all the cards in playing hardball with the owners here. So what are your thoughts? What will happen in 2021 and what do you see as some of the major changes that we may see with the new contract?

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I’d be kinda surprised to see the franchise tag stick around.  At least without changes to how it works.  

Would it be more fair and friendly to the player if it was averaged out across the top 3 at the position rather than 5? And maybe make it so it can only be used once per player?

52 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Would it be more fair and friendly to the player if it was averaged out across the top 3 at the position rather than 5? And maybe make it so it can only be used once per player?

Just chuck it entirely. Team should be forced to compete for talent instead of locking in a one-year deal that could potentially ruin a player's lifetime earnings. FA would be so much more fun too.

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Just chuck it entirely. Team should be forced to compete for talent instead of locking in a one-year deal that could potentially ruin a player's lifetime earnings. FA would be so much more fun too.

agreed.

i think everyone agrees except the owners

7 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

the owners get 18 game seasons, and the franchise tag gets elimimated to make the players happy.

maybe they will go in that direction.

Do you see any reasonable outcome where the players agree to 18 games without contracts that provide higher percentages of guaranteed money?

I still think Discipline is going to be a major issue. The punishments are so random and arbitrary with no real recourse. There needs to be a disciplinary committee rather than just some random disciplinary czar (even if he is commissioner). 

With regards to the franchise tag, I don't want it to be done away with completely. I think that inherently, it's not an awful idea. And given other leagues such as MLB and NHL have a considerable amount of restrictions on when a player can hit free agency, what kind of control a team has over a player for a certain period of time, it's hardly the worst thing compared to other sports. That being said, I'd do away with multiple tags. One time franchise tag and that's it. There's no reason for a team to be able to have multiple years to tag a player in my opinion. I'd also do away with the arbitrary extension date which to me makes little sense and is counter intuitive to the idea of the tag, in my opinion. Let them negotiate throughout the season and come to an agreement (the deadline can still exist in a way that after a certain date, the new contract can no longer affect the current year cap, so you can't restructure the current year deal and it's locked in as a 1 year deal at whatever the tag is). 

Guaranteed contracts are not going to happen as long as the rules that are in place remain.

Right now, if you give a player a guaranteed 3 year $87 million contract you have to have that $87 million on hand and set it aside immediately. You can guarantee some money for all players but not all money for all players. Unless they change that rule.

The rule was originally put in place to prevent a situation where teams don’t have money to pay their players (there was an NHL team that couldn’t pay their players because of some financial issues but I don’t follow the NHL enough to remember which team it was).

46 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Guaranteed contracts are not going to happen as long as the rules that are in place remain.

Right now, if you give a player a guaranteed 3 year $87 million contract you have to have that $87 million on hand and set it aside immediately. You can guarantee some money for all players but not all money for all players. Unless they change that rule.

The rule was originally put in place to prevent a situation where teams don’t have money to pay their players (there was an NHL team that couldn’t pay their players because of some financial issues but I don’t follow the NHL enough to remember which team it was).

Maybe not fully guaranteed contracts, but I can certainly see the NFLPA negotiating something that would provide a higher guarantee as a base for all contracts. 

Why is it the guaranteed money has to be placed in escrow?  I get maybe 30-40 years ago, but is there's no way a team could get out of paying a contract I would think.  If you got away from having to set all that money aside up front, I think the guarantees would go up somewhat.

MLB is allegedly a dying sport that no one watches and manages to have guaranteed contracts without much issue. Ignoring the Raiders because they are obviously moving, the Lions had the lowest revenue in 2017 among NFL teams with $341 million. That's higher than 24 MLB teams, including one that's actually based in NYC with the Mets. 

Archived