What progress needs to be made on the 2021 CBA to avoid a lockout?

Cheesehawk

40 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

New CBA could destroy the small market teams chances to maintain a successful team. These teams rely on those 5th year options and franchise tags to keep their talent from leaving to the highest bidder. 

There's a hard salary cap, if they can't keep their players that's kinda on them

44 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

New CBA could destroy the small market teams chances to maintain a successful team. These teams rely on those 5th year options and franchise tags to keep their talent from leaving to the highest bidder. 

This is just not true at all. 

15 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Agreed with most of this but the ending.

There will be a hold out/strike/stoppage. Only question IMO is who gives in first. Players losing "precious weekly" game checks or Owners losing 10's of Millions.

Tag is going nowhere but could be adjusted but only if the owners get their 18. Don't think either issue gets resolved quickly since neither wants the opposite to occur.

Which means OTA's, Mini, TC missed. Games will be effected! As will be the overall product.

The players haven't striked since 1988.  The owners have no reason to lock out the players.  I'm very skeptical that their will be any work stoppage at all.  Most likely summer of 2020 we will hear that current CBA is extended.  

I'm wondering if the number of players you can have active on game day comes up during negotiations. The rule largely seems silly. If the owners are pushing for 18 games this had to be on the table too, right? Along with expanded rosters?

17 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

This isn't baseball. Every team has a hard cap as well as every team has money to spend.

19 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Fully Guaranteed Contracts.

Only major pro sport without them. Silly. 

If anything it's the opposite. Those others should of never caved!  From the NBA's Grant Hills (Injuries) to the Alex Rodriguez's (absurd please retire early contracts) of the world. Unlike the others the NFL is at more risk for career ending injuries. Last thing any team needs is to pay say Mack $130M, if he suffers a major career derailing injury next week. They'll never be fully guaranteed IMO. Nor should they be.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:38 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

All I know is the players got completely rekt in 2011. These 2021 negotiations are going to get UGLY.

Define rekt, bc the players went from 58% to 55%.  Granted 3% of a $12B business us ALOT of money but I would hardly call the players getting better than 50% of revenue getting rekt.  Unless you are talking about ancillary things like PED testing or disciplinary power, which I will say again the players dont give 2 craps about any of that.  Its negotiation posturing in order to get as big a piece of the pie as possible.  That's all that the union cares about at the end of the day.  The other stuff they will always cave on provided it means more money in the players pockets.  

On 10/4/2018 at 10:01 AM, MWil23 said:

While this may not happen, if I'm a player, I'm adamant about NOT playing in London AND NOT playing Thursday night games, unless they incorporate 18 regular season games where each team has TWO built in bye weeks, so each Thursday night game is two teams coming off of a buy.

I think they should get rid of Thursday and Sunday Night games. Make Monday Night great again!!!

Archived