ROQUANS 1ST QUARTER REPORT CARD

Hurricanes773

On 10/7/2018 at 10:01 AM, dll2000 said:

Hope you are right.  Common sense would say no.  Crazy world though.

Actually  common sense says that there wont be.  Remember the owners were the instigators of the work stoppage in 2012 bc of the provision put into the CBA that almost guaranteed there would be one.  The players haven't striked since 1988 and that was to get true UFA status.  The players are currently getting 53% of a $12B pot of gold.  They arent looking to dry that up.  The players could care less about the ancillary stuff that fans seem to think matter like the commishs discipline power or the 5th year option or even the tags to some extent.  Sure they will say they care about them, but that's bargaining power to get what ultimately matters most to them.  The highest piece of the pot of gold I referenced above.  They know the owners arent going to 58% again so they're going to hold out for what? 55%? 

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I expected more.

There have not been the splash plays, the zone coverage has just been okay, and the Patriots ran the ball right at him.

He looks like a good player, but not what I expect from the 8th overall pick in the draft at this point.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

To be honest I expected more.

There have not been the splash plays, the zone coverage has just been okay, and the Patriots ran the ball right at him.

He looks like a good player, but not what I expect from the 8th overall pick in the draft at this point.

We're halfway through his rookie year...

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

He said he looks like a good player.

What if he's still playing this way by week 2 of next year? Will he be written off as potentially being great, in your opinion?

Week 2 of next year? Probably not. Week 10 of next year? Maybe.

He started the season behind because of the contract situation and it's still extremely early to expect him to look like a dominant player. I think a full offseason in an NFL strength program will help him immensely.

8 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Week 2 of next year? Probably not. Week 10 of next year? Maybe.

He started the season behind because of the contract situation and it's still extremely early to expect him to look like a dominant player. I think a full offseason in an NFL strength program will help him immensely.

You’re writing Trubisky off as average after 18 games so why wouldn’t you do the same for Smith?

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

You’re writing Trubisky off as average after 18 games so why wouldn’t you do the same for Smith?

I'm writing Trubisky off as "not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady". If Roquan is still making key mistakes and missing plays by this time next year, I'll probably write him off as "not Ray Lewis" too.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I do not think he is righting him off.

I also have my doubts that he will ever be elite. He has so much work to do to become as consistent and efficient as those elite guys.

I do think he can be very good and his physical tools are at the top of the league. I see a guy who can be in the conversation of 3-8th qb in the league.

42 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think he is righting him off.

I also have my doubts that he will ever be elite. He has so much work to do to become as consistent and efficient as those elite guys.

I do think he can be very good and his physical tools are at the top of the league. I see a guy who can be in the conversation of 3-8th qb in the league.

He definitely is writing him off as average. He even said so.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm writing Trubisky off as "not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady". If Roquan is still making key mistakes and missing plays by this time next year, I'll probably write him off as "not Ray Lewis" too.

That's what I said. You're writing him off from being elite and so you're saying he will be average.

Watching the Jets game through again and focusing on Roquan I am starting to see him do some of the same things he did at Georgia...not just the tackles but where the tackles are happening and how quickly he is both getting to the ball and taking people away in coverage...clearly becoming more comfortable in the scheme and letting his instincts take over...like that we are starting to see some energy from him when he or others have just made a play.

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Watching the Jets game through again and focusing on Roquan I am starting to see him do some of the same things he did at Georgia...not just the tackles but where the tackles are happening and how quickly he is both getting to the ball and taking people away in coverage...clearly becoming more comfortable in the scheme and letting his instincts take over...like that we are starting to see some energy from him when he or others have just made a play.

The tackle he made on the RB near the end of the game for the 3 yard loss was impressive as hell

Archived