Week 6 GDT - San Francisco (1-4) @ Green Bay (2-2-1)

Leader

Just now, Leader said:

I agree. MVS is gonna be a cagey veteran by seasons end and I think EQ's got big play written all over him. The game's not dwarfing either player. They dont appear cowed by it.

They don't appear to be overwhelmed it, but they've had their rookie mistakes moreso MVS than ESB.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I think they are also asking quite a bit more of MVS.

I'm not disagreeing with that.  But we saw two significant rookie mistakes.  He had the one where he didn't turn his head around on the quick out route, and then he didn't come back to the ball on that 4th down call near the end zone.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

They don't appear to be overwhelmed it, but they've had their rookie mistakes moreso MVS than ESB.

Agree. The talent is there - which is almost most importantly to me at this stage. Prove you can cut it and excel at it - and I think they're doing it.
Mistakes will happen. Hopefully not at a crushing or critical time - but I'm really glad we've added talent to this position. |
J'mo had at least one reception tonight - a critical (3rd down?) play for a 1st - but he caught the ball against his body and juggled is slightly. Not optimal.
EQ and MVS are hands catchers.

Just now, Leader said:

Agree. The talent is there - which is almost most importantly to me at this stage. Prove you can cut it and excel at it - and I think they're doing it.
Mistakes will happen. Hopefully not at a crushing or critical time - but I'm really glad we've added talent to this position. |
J'mo had at least one reception tonight - a critical (3rd down?) play for a 1st - but he caught the ball against his body and juggled is slightly. Not optimal.
EQ and MVS are hands catchers.

Again, I'm not saying they haven't shown talent.  I just prefer the heed caution with regards to young players.  As I've discussed ad nauseam, you're going to get rookie mistakes so you better be willing to live with them.  At some point, you have to throw them into the fire, but if they cost you the game you have to be willing to live with them.  MVS is clearly the farthest along the curve, which is why he's gotten so much burn and he's clearly the #2 WR behind Davante Adams as long as Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison are out with injury.  ESB has shown quite a bit with those two out, so it'll be interesting to see how the snap count breaks after the return of Cobb and Allison.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Again, I'm not saying they haven't shown talent.  I just prefer the heed caution with regards to young players.  As I've discussed ad nauseam, you're going to get rookie mistakes so you better be willing to live with them.  At some point, you have to throw them into the fire, but if they cost you the game you have to be willing to live with them.  MVS is clearly the farthest along the curve, which is why he's gotten so much burn and he's clearly the #2 WR behind Davante Adams as long as Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison are out with injury.  ESB has shown quite a bit with those two out, so it'll be interesting to see how the snap count breaks after the return of Cobb and Allison.

? I understand what you're saying and we're on the same page.

Agree with all of this. It's wild to think that MVS is the one who has separated himself, given what we all thought of the three rookies when they were drafted.

2 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Agree with all of this. It's wild to think that MVS is the one who has separated himself, given what we all thought of the three rookies when they were drafted.

No doubt.  Of the 3, I thought MVS was the furthest way given the offense he played in and the "QB" he played with.

55 minutes ago, DannyB said:

No he hasn't. This whole team was damn good in '10, it wasn't just Rodgers having to play Superman. MM's coaching was still on point, this defense was straight-up good, and we had plenty of really capable weapons.

Gotta  nip this in the bud.  We were NOT a damn good football team in 2010.  We moonwalked into the playoffs winning a tie breaker with the Giants and Buccaneers.

Won a tough playoff game in Philly, then played lights out @ Atlanta. NFCCG we scuzzed out a 21-14 win with Raji's pick six and the Bears playing with their 3rd string QB.

Our 'fond' memories cloud the fact that we were incredibly fortunate.  That's why it is no small accomplishment to have made the playoffs all these years, then you need to get lucky.

My gut tells me to keep playing MVS over Cobb so long as MVS keeps improving every game.  Allison I'd play over the other 2 rookies.

Cobb is pretty much slot only and MVS seems to be mainly playing the slot.  the split end opposite Davante doesn't really get a ton of burn in this offense, but it feels like you want reliable Allison there, and Allison is better than Cobb out wide.  Maybe Cobb can take some of Montgomery's snaps.

This is not how it will go, and when healthy Cobb will come right back in.  But I'd personally be hesitant to move around an ascending rookie like MVS who has a lot of sizzle.

5 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Gotta  nip this in the bud.  We were NOT a damn good football team in 2010.  We moonwalked into the playoffs winning a tie breaker with the Giants and Buccaneers.

Won a tough playoff game in Philly, then played lights out @ Atlanta. NFCCG we scuzzed out a 21-14 win with Raji's pick six and the Bears playing with their 3rd string QB.

Our 'fond' memories cloud the fact that we were incredibly fortunate.  That's why it is no small accomplishment to have made the playoffs all these years, then you need to get lucky.

See now I gotta defend that team.

They were really good (and could have been so much better -- go look at all the players who were on IR), and most of their losses were truly last possession/tough bounce of the ball type games. And/or, were understandable. Four of the six losses were by a FG, two of them in overtime (before the new overtime rules). Five were away games, two of which were against teams that we would meet again in the playoffs and beat. One of the away games was against the Patriots with the MVP Tom Brady. We lost by four points were Matt Flynn was our quarterback. Speaking of, the game before, Rodgers got hurt in Detroit and an unprepared Flynn had to come in to play the majority of the game. We also lost that game by four.

The only really inexcusable loss was at home to Miami, and even then, that was one of the FG in overtime games.

So, six losses by a total of TWENTY points. In every game a TD even without the PAT would have won. In two of them getting that first FG on the board would've done it.

And our wins? Oh, our wins. Some highlights: Beat Philly in Philly, when they had a revelatory Michael Vick. Molly-wopped Buffalo by over four scores. Shut out an upstart Jets team that was briefly dangerous (ask NE) in the last truly DOMINATING defensive performance/solely defensive win I can remember us having. Then down the stretch run of that season we put a smack down on the rest of the NFC. I mean an absolute thrashing. We pasted the Cowboys, Vikings, 49ers and Giants, outscoring them by a combined 155 - 43. That's an average game score of about 39-11. That's what Alabama does to mid-major teams.

Packers were absolutely the team nobody in the NFC wanted to see come the playoffs.

A stumbling, less-than-stellar, but gutsy playoff win got us to Atlanta. Playing down in Atlanta, an outdoor, grass team going into the unfamiliar territory of the track-meet speed of a dome and turf. Matt Ryan was the fresh media darling of the league, the next big thing, Matty Ice. And we eviscerated them. It was beautiful. Chicago game looked more like the wildcard round than divisional, but whatever that's a division rival, cold weather, good defense. I don't care if Cutler got hurt, he wasn't gonna do jack against us, and may have played even worse. For all the crappy QBs that the Packers defense has made look competent over the years, somehow Cutler always played like garbage against us.

Then in the Super Bowl we go up against a really good defense, and a quarterback who had quickly become known for his clutch play, and postseason heroics. We had seen it first hand the year before when he hung 37 on us, including a game winning TD throw. What happens? We pick him off twice while holding him to as many TDs at a middling clip of 6.5 yards per pass attempt. And on offense, Rodgers puts up perhaps the best QB performance so far this century.

Okay I need to stop, this wasn't supposed to be so long, but that team was just REALLY damn good. Not one of the greatest teams of all time, but so much better than I feel like a cursory glance might suggest.

Few thoughts-

Rodgers is not trusting the Wrs or protection. This is like 2015, where he is not making decisions and holding the ball too long.

What is up with Pettine? This D outside of Buffalo has been jackal and Hyde half to half. Like there wasn’t anything special SF was doing (unless you consider a fb in 2018 special). Make in game adjustments

7 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

We had the 10th most points scored and the 2nd fewest points allowed. 

We had an SRS of almost 11 and a Pythagorean record of 12-4. 

That was a really really really good team that was beat to **** with injuries and still played very well over the course of the year despite some bad luck. 

7 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

My gut tells me to keep playing MVS over Cobb so long as MVS keeps improving every game.  Allison I'd play over the other 2 rookies.

Cobb is pretty much slot only and MVS seems to be mainly playing the slot.  the split end opposite Davante doesn't really get a ton of burn in this offense, but it feels like you want reliable Allison there, and Allison is better than Cobb out wide.  Maybe Cobb can take some of Montgomery's snaps.

This is not how it will go, and when healthy Cobb will come right back in.  But I'd personally be hesitant to move around an ascending rookie like MVS who has a lot of sizzle.

I think there's room for both. MVS can split snaps with Allison and Cobb if you need to get him a certain percentage. 

Archived