Week 8 GDT - Green Bay (3-2-1) @ Los Angeles Rams (7-0)

Leader

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I actually feel like he really did get nervous about the goal line and didn't think....he was going to fumble

Not buying it. Not busting the guys balls but he could have accomplished the coaches instructions........by not even catching the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All he had to do - all of it - was determine the ball was going to land in the end zone - which it did.

Done.
Plays dead.
Walk off the field.
Commercial Break.
Bring on AR and the offense.

Thats it. Thats all he had to do....and the guys fielded and returned more than enough kick offs to figure that out.

8 hours ago, Leader said:

It had to be AJs responsibility to chip on this guy if he came. 

Jones groupies: "Cut Ty Montgomery! There has to be accountability on this team!"

Jones misses another block in another week causing Aaron to get sacked and gets benched for 2 series "Fire Fat Mac! What an idiot! He has no idea what he's doing!"

16 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

One option that hasn't been considered:

Fire MM and use pettine as interim HC.  Philbin is OC but Rodgers calls the passing plays and run checks.  Philbin helps with game plan, etc.

Basically it's the Peyton manning offense.  Give Aaron total control.

No, if we did that we'd never run the darn ball.

16 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I was shocked to see #18 running free and fast across the middle yesterday, until I saw it was actually #19.

For whatever reason, Cobb lost his burst at a relatively young age. 

His previous 3 seasons resulted in 829, 610, and 653 yards receiving (10.5, 10.2, and 9.9 ypc). 

It has been a long time since Randall has been anything special and freeing up his $12.7M cap hit will be addition by subtraction in 2019.

Cobb's hammy might not be 100%...

15 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Rob DemovskyESPN Staff Writer 

Ty Montgomery said he's always told to keep kickoffs in the end zone but he was worried he might be too close to the goal line. He admitted it was a mistake but clearly wasn't happy that a teammate or teammates were quoted anonymously insinuating that he was selfish.

I have a feeling there was a lot of raw emotion flowing in that locker room after the game.  I'm sure they all feel differently now.  Even with all of our warts we are still only a game and a half out of first in the NFCN!

15 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

And the STs somehow were unaware that Rams' Punter Johnny Hekker is well known for throwing the ball to try and generate first downs (he did exactly that from almost that same spot just a few weeks ago against the Vikings), or Kevin KIng f'ed up.

When the best you are hoping for from your special teams is that they do not screw up, you have a special teams problem.

Thankfully that fake punt didn't really change the game in their favor.

14 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Yup - another new rule to enhance safety/ eliminate kickoffs

But Monty is also the guy who knew how to put one foot in and one foot out of bounds to get the penalty on the kick off and place the ball at the 40 yard line.

He's plenty smart enough...he simply misjudged the kick's trajectory and wasn't sure if it was gonna land in the EZ or in the field of play.

He said he wasn't being selfish or disobeying direct orders - he just wasn't sure where that ball was gonna land - and previous kick offs were plenty deep where it wasn't even a question.

Also: from a strategy POV, the Rams best move was to kick it short and force the return, Monty was likely aware of that when he saw the kick coming in "shorter" than the earlier ones.

I suppose after that punt that put us on the 6 inch line earlier in the game played a role in that decision.

9 hours ago, Leader said:

this was 3rd and 2 on the opening drive.

Watching the whole play, I don't know who is at fault.  

It looks to me that Aaron is looking to G-mo as the hot route, but he doesn't get his head around to take the pass.  Had he done that, the play would have been successful without AJ blocking.

This is why I hate PFF by the way-  they can't accurately grade this play without guessing who didn't do their job- AJ for not blocking, Gmo for not figuring he was the hot route, or Rodgers/ Linsley for the protection call, or MM for the play design not having a hot route?

My belief is this is why we start slow as a team - it is a complicated offense to learn with all the hand signals, having to read a defense to adjust routes- things like that, and it takes these guys a while as young players to figure it out.  I get that it allows them to utilize all of Rodgers talents, but sometimes it fails like this.

Tough loss for the Packers BUT I think nobody is talking about the great special teams play by the Rams. I get it that Montgomery shouldnt have taken it out but its not the end of the world. There was no guarantee that he fumbles. Like what gets me is that if he returned it to the 50 and gave ARod and the offense excellent field position, nobody would even be talking about his decision to return the ball. Its just like QBs shouldnt throw off their back foot. ARod does it and drop dimes, he doesnt get criticized. Winston does it and throw interceptions he get bashed about it. At the end of the day, I am under the impression that if its not something you should be doing, criticize that player regardless of the result. The unfortunate result for Montgomery was a fumble and he is getting criticized for it. Again had he not fumbled nobody wouldve talked about that decision he made.

Back to the special teams plays. Hekker and Shields made a great special teams play near the end of the 1st half that resulted in a safety and jumped started the Rams offense. After that punt essentially the Rams went on a 23-3 run. Then of course we know the second great special teams play by Wilson to essentially not allow ARod to get on the field. So to me it just goes to show that in order to beat the Rams that opponent has to be great on offense, defense, and special teams. The Packers did a good enough job on defense to hold the Rams to 29pts. They made the plays on offense to give themselves a shot at the end to win. They did a horrible job on special teams though because they allowed themselves to get pinned inside the 1yd line which led to a safety and a momentum shift and they fumbled at the end which led to the Rams just running out the clock to win. 

The scapegoat is Montgomery I get it but at the end of the day the Packers wasnt better than the Rams in all 3 phases of the game. When the Packers was shutting down the Rams offense in the 1st half, you look up and saw the Rams only down 8-10 at halftime. That cant happen. The Rams punt more than they normally do in the 1st half. The Packers cant be up by 2pts as a result. I expect a motivated and healthy Packers team to be up at least 2tds in the 1st half if they have been shutting down the Rams offense. So the blame isnt on Montgomery. Again Im not saying it was ok for him to ignore the coaches, but I didnt think he would fumble. It was a no harm no foul situation until it was harm and foul and now he is being blasted for it. There should be more praise coming towards the Rams special teams and especially Wilson for causing the football than there is Montgomery deciding to return the ball. But again I do feel for yall because the Packers were so close and no cigar.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:
9 hours ago, Leader said:

It looks to me that Aaron is looking to G-mo as the hot route, but he doesn't get his head around to take the pass.  Had he done that, the play would have been successful without AJ blocking.

This is why I hate PFF by the way-  they can't accurately grade this play without guessing who didn't do their job- AJ for not blocking, Gmo for not figuring he was the hot route, or Rodgers/ Linsley for the protection call, or MM for the play design not having a hot route?

My belief is this is why we start slow as a team - it is a complicated offense to learn with all the hand signals, having to read a defense to adjust routes- things like that, and it takes these guys a while as young players to figure it out.  I get that it allows them to utilize all of Rodgers talents, but sometimes it fails like this.

Hard to see who covers Jones on his release into the flat.  If there is no one there, maybe he is the hot route and could have gained the first and more.  Would need to see a wider view or different angle to know for sure.

15 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I dont know Ragnar. As Squire mentions - the clip view is too limited. You cant see when Allison turned his head. ARs looking right the entire time. What at - I've no clue - but it would only seem logical to me that AJs gameplay would/should have been: "If that guy comes...you've got to block/chip him" He's literally the last line of defense before AR.

Tell ya - when I saw that tackle real time, I worried about ARs knee. His ankles got wrapped up and he "pulled" those ligaments good when his body weight fell forward. Probably more strain on the right (uninjured) knee - or an indication the injured one is slowly getting better.

In any case....not making a federal case of it - but that kind of stuff has to be cleaned up. Its gotta be SOMEBODY's responsibility to block that guy.

Archived