Week 8 GDT - Green Bay (3-2-1) @ Los Angeles Rams (7-0)

Leader

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Sure, but it really doesn't matter what you want.  It is what the coaching staff deems best for the team.

Oh really? Damn...and here I was thinking my opinions had clout with the GB FO. You mean they dont? Really? You sure 'bout that?

Ha! Well hell.

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In the bigger picture, the worst part of all of this to me is how badly Monty the RB  has been implemented.  He should be far more useful as a player than he is.  The way Mac uses him has never made sense to me.

He's never fully developed as a RB IMO - and as we all (painfully) know - GB (or AR) doesnt pass the ball to its RBs with frequency.

1 hour ago, Brad gluckman said:

I would actually put this on McCarthy over Zook.

Why Mac?   He had this team ready to play.  And save a boneheaded mistake by #88 they were ready to steal a win from a team that was favored by 8 on the road.  

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Slight correction.

We scored 27.
Unfortunately, they scored 29.
Lower than there average - but still - a loser.

2 points were from a safety. The D gave up 27.

Yeah we lost. There are positives from this game though. A lot of people thought we didn’t have a chance.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

What? The punting was awful, Tramon being a worthless pile back there led to the safety and our return game is non existent. Our KO and punt coverage is the only thing that was acceptable.

Don't forget to add that Crosby seems to be back to his old self.  Our young punter had a poor day tho.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Why Mac?   He had this team ready to play.  And save a boneheaded mistake by #88 they were ready to steal a win from a team that was favored by 8 on the road.  

Im talking about Monty taking the ball oit of the end zone, thats a coaching decision. Although since i posted that, Mac said the plan was to not return it. Not sure what to think now.

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

2 points were from a safety. The D gave up 27.  Yeah we lost. There are positives from this game though. A lot of people thought we didn’t have a chance.

Ahhhhh got it. That makes sense.
Although I dont think we lost the game because of the safety.
Not the play I'd have run - but it didnt cost us the game IMO.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Monty definitely has had ball security problems. I was creaming "no...no..no!!!!" when he came out of the end zone. Not because he was wasting the two minute warning, but because I just knew he was going to lose the ball. 51% of that play is on Zook. Either (a) Zook failed to tell Monty to stay in the end zone, or (b) he did tell Monty to stay in the end zone and Monty came out anyways--a lack of discipline and that too is on the coach. 49% is on Monty. You've got two minutes and Rodgers at QB. YOU JUST DON'T FUMBLE. 

Monty needs to go to the doghouse and Zook just needs to go. (Let's not forget, Zook also gave up the fake punt, which turned the game around.) Only problem is who replaces Zook mid-season?

I don't blame Zook for the fake punt - unless the Rams have done that before earlier in the year...?  

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Don't forget to add that Crosby seems to be back to his old self.  Our young punter had a poor day tho.

Seriously - and in such terrible conditions eh?
All that sun.....warm temperatures.....and no wind. Tough punting conditions......

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Yeah. Sorry. Was referring to Tramon. He's "behind" in all his coverages - or it seems so to me at least. Cant say I'm seeing everything - but he's not making any plays.

He's getting a little grabby too because he can't keep up with receivers.

13 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The coaching staff - save Zook perhaps - had these guys ready to play and damn near pulled off the upset.  I really didn't think we had a prayer before the game started.

Perhaps?  ST was a disaster today.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I mean unless your name is Damarious, I don't think he disses them in private either. MM won't do a damn thing about this. Monty will be back there against NE next week. 

How do you know what Mike says to his players in private?

54 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm going to actually go a step farther and say that a KR should never return a kick that's going into the endzone in 2018. 

There have been 3 KR TDs this year on like 450 returned kicks.

Most studies find that you fumble on about 3% of kickoff returns. You recover about 2/3 of those, but you still lose a fumble every 100 kickoff returns and score a TD every 150 kickoff returns.

Maybe this is just the eye test because I'm cranky, but I'd be willing to bet that a returner doesn't make it to the 25 yard line on at least 2/3 of returns. The average return is about 22.4 yards. If you assume you're taking it back from 2 yards deep in the endzone, you're giving up on average about 5 yards. 

THIS ALL DAY LONG

Why they even bother with kick returns is a mystery to me.

Archived