Week 8 GDT - Green Bay (3-2-1) @ Los Angeles Rams (7-0)

Leader

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah and he was clearly sick of Ted, look where Ted is. This is so eerily similar to Sherman's last year with Favre.

But what I am referring to started after Ted.  I personally think it started more so after the release of Jordy Nelson, then with the signing of the new contract.  Through those events he took the "my job is to play QB" approach.

I am not saying that McCarthy will, or should be the head coach next year, but replacing him will be hard.  If Rodgers is truly being passive aggressive with McCarthy, then finding one that can deal with him may leave you with Jeff Tedford.  Other than that, who will he feel he has to listen to?

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

But what I am referring to started after Ted.  I personally think it started more so after the release of Jordy Nelson, then with the signing of the new contract.  Through those events he took the "my job is to play QB" approach.

I am not saying that McCarthy will, or should be the head coach next year, but replacing him will be hard.  If Rodgers is truly being passive aggressive with McCarthy, then finding one that can deal with him may leave you with Jeff Tedford.  Other than that, who will he feel he has to listen to?

He listened to Tedford because he had to. A billion dollars and a few MVP's and a ring changes things

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think Rodgers is an extreme intellectual who is an ultimate competitor. His relationship with Mac souring could stem from the fact that he feels his input isn't valued like it used to be or that Mac simply doesn't challenge him anymore. Either way I think any coach brought in that is willing to work with Aaron and expose him to new ways of running an offense would instantly gain his respect. Favre was arguably a bigger mess and Mac fixed him.

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

It really might just be that he needs a new voice. Bringing in McCarthy brought Favre back under control for a year. 

Not that I agree or disagree with anything being said here, just throwing it out. 

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Nah .. Rodgers would conform to whoever they hired, or at least he'd give it a chance.  He's not some uncoachable guy who is a power hungry jerk.  

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

He still refers to Tedford with a lot of respect.  Tedford pulled him from the throws of community college and gave him his big shot.

And MM took a robotic kid with a horrid throwing motion, put him through QB school and ........etc etc

I don't know what the answers are but Rodgers taking this stuff to the media in an indirect, coded, calculating way isn't right either (if that's what he's doing). If we want to toss following orders and  chain of command out there, why is Rodgers exempt ? Isn't what Rodgers is doing insubordination ? Undermining the head coach ? Rodgers has a tendency to come off like a bit of a punk sometimes for lack of a better word

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

He still refers to Tedford with a lot of respect.  Tedford pulled him from the throws of community college and gave him his big shot.

That is easy to show respect for Tedford....he is not calling the plays, player groupings, game plan etc.  

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It really might just be that he needs a new voice. Bringing in McCarthy brought Favre back under control for a year. 

Not that I agree or disagree with anything being said here, just throwing it out. 

Happens all the time. At some point in time an employee realizes that she/he is smarter than the boss. But the boss has the power to keep making the decisions. Very frustrating. The employee knows what should be done, but has no power to do much about it.  If the Packers replace MM, it had better be with someone at least as smart as Rodgers. That might not be so easy. It will have to be a Bill Walsch-Mike Holmgren type, and they don't grow on trees.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers aren't hiring Tedford .. he's not even on the radar for an NFL head coaching gig.  

I am not saying they would or should hire Tedford.  I am simply pointing out that if people feel he is being passive aggressive and locking horns with McCarthy, then there is no guarantee that following a short honeymoon period he won't be doing the same thing with a new coach.

I don't think it will be a simple choice.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

And MM took a robotic kid with a horrid throwing motion, put him through QB school and ........etc etc

I don't know what the answers are but Rodgers taking this stuff to the media in an indirect, coded, calculating way isn't right either (if that's what he's doing). If we want to toss following orders and  chain of command out there, why is Rodgers exempt ? Isn't what Rodgers is doing insubordination ?

I am not convinced he is taking as many shots at McCarthy as others.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I don't know what the answers are but Rodgers taking this stuff to the media in an indirect, coded, calculating way isn't right either (if that's what he's doing). If we want to toss following orders and  chain of command out there, why is Rodgers exempt ? Isn't what Rodgers is doing insubordination ?

To an extent yes. When you have the dead cap Aaron does you're untouchable though.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I agree with your point that Rodgers should be held to a similar standard as other players.  

His situation is different in that there is not other option.  You can't cut or trade Rodgers without going into cap hell and there is no viable/capable replacement if you wanted to bench him

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

That is easy to show respect for Tedford....he is not calling the plays, player groupings, game plan etc.  

exactly my point.  

Whomever comes in will have a honeymoon period, but if the team underperforms then what happens.

Rodgers has been extremely successful under McCarthy offensively.  He hasn't gotten the titles because of defensive issues.  There is no guarantee that he will be any happier with the next head coach.

Archived