2019 NFL Draft - Secondary

Forge

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

I have a bad feeling the Ravens draft Thompson. I think he is horrifically overrated.

No, no, no! Ozzie Newsome isn't drafting for them anymore.

Edit: I'm kidding, of course. Just, cuz, you know... Bama... Because Ozzie's from... Nevermind.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Okay Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is the most fun I've had watching a prospect this year. The dude is relentless, lack of first round buzz so far is bizarre. 

One of my favorite players.  His parents must have been Peter Seller fans.

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Okay Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is the most fun I've had watching a prospect this year. The dude is relentless, lack of first round buzz so far is bizarre. 

Not very big or athletic. His instincts and hustle are off the charts, but he's going to struggle on any sort of man cover team. He gets roasted in man and will have to get used to playing it in the NFL if he's going to be a nickel back. That's his only role IMO, as he isn't fluid enough to be a S. He's your undersized overhang defender (SS/NCB). Those are the guys you usually match up the slot WR's on in man situations.

Send him to a zone team and he'll be wonderful. But he's extremely limited athletically which is why he's not going to sniff the 1st round.

49 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Not very big or athletic. His instincts and hustle are off the charts, but he's going to struggle on any sort of man cover team. He gets roasted in man and will have to get used to playing it in the NFL if he's going to be a nickel back. That's his only role IMO, as he isn't fluid enough to be a S. He's your undersized overhang defender (SS/NCB). Those are the guys you usually match up the slot WR's on in man situations.

Send him to a zone team and he'll be wonderful. But he's extremely limited athletically which is why he's not going to sniff the 1st round.

Eh, I can't really agree with that and I have to disagree with your take on his fluidity. He looked pretty smooth to me, agree better in zone - but his only deficiencies in man coverage don't feel like they were due to a physical short coming. There were huge improvements from 2017 to 2018, but I'll reserve further judgement on his athleticism (or lack of) until we get some testing results at the combine - but right now he's a 1st round talent as far as i'm concerned. 

Just watched Xavier Crawford's teammate and fellow CB, Sean Bunting, and he looks like a potential mid round steal (Just like Xavier Crawford). Nice feet, quick hips, good speed, and good length, but on the skinny side. He does look like Asante Samuel vs the run, but hopefully that can be coached up. I think he (And Crawford) look like 3rd rounders at worst, but both might get drafted in the 4th or later.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:34 AM, goldfishwars said:

His pro comp is Malcolm Jenkins, imo.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:54 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Extremely limited athletically? That would surprise me. It's certainly possible, but I see a 4.45 to 4.54 40 guy on tape. He's definitely capable of playing either safety spot at a high level.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:34 AM, goldfishwars said:

Love CGJ. Huge trash talker too.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Someone give me some hope for this corner class. 

No.

Greedy Williams, Justin Layne, Deandre Baker are the 3 CB prospects I like. Not a whole lot of good ones out there. There are other "good" cornerbacks out there, but their value does not match where they're projected to go IMO.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

No.

Greedy Williams, Justin Layne, Deandre Baker are the 3 CB prospects I like. Not a whole lot of good ones out there. There are other "good" cornerbacks out there, but their value does not match where they're projected to go IMO.

Layne is a stud if he's purely pressing. If you try to play him off, he's going to have some issues early in his career.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:05 PM, ClutchDJ said:

Yea, CGJ’s athleticism is the farthest thing from being limited. 

My main gripe with CGJ was his tackling in 2017. Was absolutely horrendous. He improved A LOT in that area in 2018. One of the biggest improvers in the class.

Holy ****. If 18' was greatly improved tackling I'm afraid to check out 17'.

Archived