2019 NFL Draft - Running Backs

Forge

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

sure, at 25 lbs heavier, with a reputation for running 4.4 40s(probably juiced a tenth sure) and a 6.85 3 cone. I guess he's an example though. Holyfield is a good football player and sometimes that's enough. Its not enough when you run a 4.8 at RB IMO. Plenty of Big ten RBs over the years assure you of this. 

Yeah, the 40 is bad but the agility times are brutal. Much more worrisome to me. 

I think Q is the best example of a very slow player succeeding, but obviously he plays a different position and could mandhandle dbs.  

Guys like Blount and Burfict were faster on the field than their timed speeds so they aren’t great comparisons.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KellChippy said:

Yeah, the 40 is bad but the agility times are brutal. Much more worrisome to me. 

I think Q is the best example of a very slow player succeeding, but obviously he plays a different position and could mandhandle dbs.  

Guys like Blount and Burfict were faster on the field than their timed speeds so they aren’t great comparisons.

None of it is worrisome for me. You can't hide talent when you're playing teams like Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, and Kentucky. The workouts made me go back to the film, but I still see what I see. Great feet, outstanding instincts, more than enough burst, and power, contact balance, and leg drive for days. I'd rather take a shot based on film to try and find the exceptions to the rule than write a guy off who is great because I didn't trust my instincts. That is especially true late on Day 3. I am still kicking myself for not trusting myself on Russell Wilson because he was 5'10".

22 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

sure, at 25 lbs heavier, with a reputation for running 4.4 40s(probably juiced a tenth sure) and a 6.85 3 cone. I guess he's an example though. Holyfield is a good football player and sometimes that's enough. Its not enough when you run a 4.8 at RB IMO. Plenty of Big ten RBs over the years assure you of this. 

Holyfield played Texas, LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn, and Alabama. Here are his combined numbers against those teams: 86 carries for 457 rushing yards (5.3 YPC) and 2 rushing TDs. You really going to tell me that those defenses lack athleticism? If not, why didn't his lack of speed hold him back?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Holyfield played Texas, LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn, and Alabama. Here are his combined numbers against those teams: 86 carries for 457 rushing yards (5.3 YPC) and 2 rushing TDs. You really going to tell me that those defenses lack athleticism? If not, why didn't his lack of speed hold him back?

Yeah, I can’t think of anyone who had his production against that level of competition and failed.  It’s not the same as your typical Wisconsin rb destroying the big ten every year.

Not that is saying much, but I would love to add him to the Eagles rb rotation.  His frenetic, powerful running style kinda reminds me of Ajayi.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

Yeah, I can’t think of anyone who had his production against that level of competition and failed.  It’s not the same as your typical Wisconsin rb destroying the big ten every year.

Not that is saying much, but I would love to add him to the Eagles rb rotation.  His frenetic, powerful running style kinda reminds me of Ajayi.

I wouldn't draft him in the 3rd or 4th round anymore. But if he falls to the 6th or 7th round? Hell yeah. I'll take that risk. His instincts, skills, and footwork as a runner are great. Would love to have him in our ZBS. He reminds me of Alfred Morris.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Can someone please tell me that my concerns about David Montgomery's lack of explosive plays is over blown?

Not sure that's his game. His best asset is his ability to play through contact, he's got special balance in that area. The kind of back who has been thriving in Pittsburgh recently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Can someone please tell me that my concerns about David Montgomery's lack of explosive plays is over blown?

Overblown. Vision + Patience + Instincts + Skill + Contact Balance + Quickness = Success. Put him in a ZBS, and he'll eat. Won't have a lot of 40+ yard runs, but he's the type of guy who will rip consistent chunks out of the defense. Todd Gurley didn't have many (if any) explosive plays as a runner this year. He still averaged around 5 yards per carry and was on a ridiculous pace before his injury.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jyod21 said:

Opinions on the stock of Ty Johnson from Maryland?  Had a great pro day, after not receiving a combine invite.

Maryland RB Ty Johnson
5'10" 210
4.26-4.30  40 (unofficial)
27 reps

Looks like they gave him an official 4.41 according to Walters results

Edited by Jeezla

On 26/03/2019 at 9:24 AM, Nastradamus said:

I think this is a big part of the problem with Holyfield running so slow.  It'd be one thing if he was truly this huge bruising monster back.  He runs hard, and has a physical finish...but i don't see this big imposing brute that he's being made out to be by some, to offset his slowness.  He's a pretty ~average-sized back, who just happens to be really slow.  Not a hefty short-yardage hammer, second coming of Bettis sort of thing.  But with those pretty evident speed limitations as an all 'rounder back.

Still probably worth a late round flyer, and maybe you can get a useful rotational/depth back out of the deal.  He does still have things going for him that you can see on tape.  But the jump in league speed is probably going to be a tough transition for a 4.8 RB.