Broncos-Cardinals sets a RECORD new low for broadcast ratings

Chargers

I forgot it was even on network TV instead of just amazon or NFLN.  But also two crap teams and quickly became noncompetitive.  It was literally the only NFL game this week I'll be home to watch on TV and I turned it off after the second pick 6.

Bad game - and also first time in history the networks had baseball, hoops hockey & NCAA football airing at the same time.  

Awful game but TNF should be ok if they don’t have to face such tough competition.   And avoid last place vs. last place unless there’s a compelling human interest angle (like Mayfield vs. Darnold) or huge national fan base, to get casual fans interested.   

3 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

Just the idea that people watch the NBA is kind of fascinating.

Not really, the NBA is fun these days. 

Just like the NFL, the NBA has seen an explosion in terms of offense. It is no longer the late 90s, where teams were struggling to crack 80. 

It will probably never happen again, but I'd like it if they went back to the structure before the late 2000s without consistent TNF. Football on Sundays, and Mondays is plenty for me. The 5 day grace period is a good breather. Also, primetime games were more special back then. You usually only got a slot if you made the playoffs the previous year. Some teams went entire seasons without primetime game appearances. Only thing I would keep is flex scheduling. That was something in the old days that was needed.

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

It will probably never happen again, but I'd like it if they went back to the structure before the late 2000s without consistent TNF. Football on Sundays, and Mondays is plenty for me. The 5 day grace period is a good breather. Also, primetime games were more special back then. You usually only got a slot if you made the playoffs the previous year. Some teams went entire seasons without primetime game appearances. Only thing I would keep is flex scheduling. That was something in the old days that was needed.

would like the NFL to axe TNF and work to make MNF more special(move it back to ABC, hire Peyton manning, get bigger games etc..)

but I think TNF is here to stay.. too much money to be made..I think Fox paid a lot for these TNF games

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Bad game - and also first time in history the networks had baseball, hoops hockey & NCAA football airing at the same time.  

Awful game but TNF should be ok if they don’t have to face such tough competition.   And avoid last place vs. last place unless there’s a compelling human interest angle (like Mayfield vs. Darnold) or huge national fan base, to get casual fans interested.   

I seriously doubt that was the first time in all of history that all 4 major sports had a game on at the same time.

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I seriously doubt that was the first time in all of history that all 4 major sports had a game on at the same time.

Brain cramp - first time this year.  Point stands, though.  TNF ratings go down with this kind of competition - just helps if the matchup has either a decent national fan base or a compelling storyline.   Mayfield vs. Darnold and breaking the L streak had enough to draw casual fans in.   Our 2 awful teams didn’t.   

Not that big a deal IMO. It was nothing more than a dog game.
AZ is dead on arrival this season and played this game like it was already six feet under.
Nobody's gonna watch that - but the NFL wont regularly be stuck with such lousy match ups.

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Brain cramp - first time this year.  Point stands, though.  TNF ratings go down with this kind of competition - just helps if the matchup has either a decent national fan base or a compelling storyline.   Mayfield vs. Darnold and breaking the L streak had enough to draw causal fans in.   Our 2 awful teams didn’t.   

The match-up had a lot more to do with ratings than the competition from other sporting events though. Not a big deal, football is still king there are just some unwatchable games for causal fans, that was one of them.

19 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

They already did TNF games from Weeks 10-17 when they first introduced TNF and it worked completely fine.  But the league overplayed their hand and didnt realize that too much of a good thing would have adverse effects.  Theyre profiting from it but the rest of the world absolutely is not given the quality of the product on a weekly basis

Rams-Vikings put on an outstanding game.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:30 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

For instance, how do they compensate for "off-the-grid devices and sources" like modified boxes and what-not. Or how they track demographic stats from those who use a VPN? Or how they factor in the time that a household starts to watch a program vs the actual amount of time spent on it (in other words, start watching the first quarter, realize it's a blowout and switch to the Lakers game)?

lol. See, stuff this just gives me a headache. edit: And this is coming from a tech nerd.

From what I gather....

DVR ratings are factored into it if the show is watched within 24 hours of original air date.

How they do that....couldn't tell you but I know they can do it.

Archived