Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

CDC recommends 8-20 week closures of schools for a more effective impact on stopping the spread. 20 weeks from today is August 1.

Only way that happens is if teachers get their online teaching up and running. It’s going to be a circus.

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

Wildly (imo) exagerated estimates of infections.

Ehhhh....

This is the part we will disagree on. There’s nothing to suggest this won’t spread like H1N1 did in 2009. 700 million – 1.4 billion got infected. If the death rate stays at 3%, that’s 21 million people.

Edited by candyman93

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Only way that happens is if teachers get their online teaching up and running. It’s going to be a circus.

We have an all day meeting Monday and are rolling it out by Monday March 30. This is absolutely crazy.

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

Still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the hysteria.

Financial markets crashing.

Political infighting over what should be a common cause.

Why can't everyone just say: Okay, we have a problem. Let's accurately measure/define it, identify our options for dealing with it and deal with it?

Bro you dont believe in vaccines

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

Still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the hysteria.

The basis of the hysteria is overwhelming the healthcare system.  If half the county gets sick at once, lots of people die.  Hospitals don’t have a slew of open beds normally.  When I was working bedside there were a number of times facilities would go on diversion, meaning “Hey EMS, don’t bring people here, we’re full”.  That’s without a pandemic.

And this impacts everyone, not just wheezy boomers.  If you get into a car accident, have a heart attack, whatever, you’ll need that same healthcare system.

Financial markets crashing.

I mean, duh.  People are not going to be working, supply chain interrupted, business closing, people not getting paid, small businesses not being able to survive a month without income (or severely reduced income), etc.

You think this isn’t gonna trickle into the financial world?

What are your opinions based on bruce? What years of study and expertise?  This isn’t the time for “ya know what I think..”, it’s time to listen to what experts in the field of healthcare and infectious disease/pandemics think.  Do they know everything?  Nope.  But they know a lot more about this than a guy with a hunch.

You are the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Political infighting over what should be a common cause.

Well when one side is joking about it and telling people it’s no big deal, it’s hard to agree on common ground.

Why can't everyone just say: Okay, we have a problem. Let's accurately measure/define it, identify our options for dealing with it and deal with it?

They’ve started to, and they’re starting to realize we’re gonna be in a world of hurt in another week or two.

Italy is a couple weeks ahead of us as far as the spread/outbreaks go and it’s not looking great there.  Healthcare system overwhelmed, doctors essentially making battlefield triage decisions about who receives care. They’ve been much more transparent than China in their testing and outcomes, and their mortality rate is around 6-7%.

Look, I’m not telling people we need to panic and this is the end of days, but we were at the point of action a while ago.  People like yourself who think “what’s the big deal?” are the problem right now tbh.  We need everyone to buy into things like social distancing and flattening the curve.  I mean, what do you have to lose?  

You’re a smart guy bruce, I think you can look back at every political squabble in your life and ask yourself how many times did they close schools, universities, shut down all major sporting organizations, the NCAA tourney, declare a national emergency for a worldwide pandemic, etc?  This isn’t just government, the private sector has made decisions that will cost them a tremendous amount of money to try to slow this thing down.

• Like 3

@LETSGOBROWNIESall very good points. 

I think most people are freaking out about it because of how the news dictates things. If we could have a discussion to treat it like every major flu issue. If you are sick stay home, if you start having shortness of breath go to the hospital. If your fever cant be controlled by meds call your doctor. 

Hopefully the testing gets set up quickly. 

I don’t think every person who gets this virus will be in the hospital. So if people would just take a calmer approach maybe we won’t overload the hospitals as bad. 

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

I think most people are freaking out about it because of how the news dictates things. If we could have a discussion to treat it like every major flu issue. If you are sick stay home, if you start having shortness of breath go to the hospital. If your fever cant be controlled by meds call your doctor. 

I don’t think every person who gets this virus will be in the hospital. So if people would just take a calmer approach maybe we won’t overload the hospitals as bad. 

Soooooo buy up all the toilet paper?

• Like 2

In Italy, and the other Western countries where it's bending us all over, people don't worry that getting medical attention, and taking time off work, is going to financially cripple them.

I worry for people over there that it's spreading more, and being contained much less, because of inequality.

This is a time unlike any other in recent US history where the health industry needs to forget it is run like a business.

Edited by Mega Ron
ish happens.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JDD said:

Agreed, but the issues right now has nothing to do with treatment, it’s prevention and slowing the spread.

It’s hard to have that conversation with someone who says “it’s just a cold” and continues to go about their day exacerbating the issue.

Define quickly?  We had known cases in January in Seattle iirc.

This outlines the missteps and was from 2 weeks ago.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/united-states-badly-bungled-coronavirus-testing-things-may-soon-improve 

Moving quickly now is great, but we’ve long been playing catchup.

The overload on hospitals isn’t going to necessarily be on the “intake” end of things, like an ER, it’s on the inpatient side.  It’s not that docs have too many people that need to be told “you’re fine, go home, drink fluids and take some Tylenol for the fever”, it’s that they have no place to put people who actually need care.

Most people won’t need anything, but if 5-10 percent do (elderly, at risk populations) and a large percentage all get sick within a couple of weeks, there isn’t beds/staff/vents/etc to accommodate that.  Like I said earlier, we run at 80-90% capacity most of the time anyway.  You can lower that number some with suspending non-emergent stuff like hip and knee replacements, but most folks in the hospital need to be there.  The margins are thin a lot of the time normally.