Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

20 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Which is why I wont hear the whole 'its just too big of a task for somebody in a 4 year term to undertake' garbage.

We literally got peer pressured into giving another country 40B but the government putting 10% of that into its own country, youth and workforce is apparently just impossible.

We rank 27th in the world in education and healthcare

It’s not that it’s too big, it’s that no one wants to be the guy to either cut program funding or raise taxes.

We’d rather just keep letting people whose qualifications for teaching include being married to a guy who served in the army for 4 years in the 80’s.

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh I agree 100% with the parents involvement too. Hearing some of the things these parents say and ask about their kids is embarrassing. They have no idea what they are learning in school, no idea what they need to send their kids to school with and forget regularly to buy them school supplies  

I mean, I’m sure a lot of parents are busy working multiple jobs and trying their best to make ends meet and the cost of school supplies and school fees can be hard.

Instead of placing the burden on the parents, maybe make it part of a properly funded education?  Just a thought….

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’m sure a lot of parents are busy working multiple jobs and trying their best to make ends meet and the cost of school supplies and school fees can be hard.

Instead of placing the burden on the parents, maybe make it part of a properly funded education?  Just a thought….

That would be nice. At least where she works, if a student doesnt have supplies she has to go out and buy it for them. Out of her own pocket. Not the schools, not the parents money--hers. She gets like a $100 credit from the school a the beginning of every year but always ends up spending more than that amount by the time the school year is over.

I almost had a aneurism when she said she had to go to Walmart and spend $85 of her money on school supplies for her kids. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

28 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That would be nice. At least where she works, if a student doesnt have supplies she has to go out and buy it for them. Out of her own pocket. Not the schools, not the parents money--hers. She gets like a $100 credit from the school a the beginning of every year but always ends up spending more than that amount by the time the school year is over.

I almost had a aneurism when she said she had to go to Walmart and spend $85 of her money on school supplies for her kids. 

I just tell myself be thankful you can swing the cost and not have to worry about it.  It’s frustrating I’m sure, but I don’t know any teachers who haven’t done something like this.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

We literally just gave Ukraine 40 Billion dollars in aid, no questions asked in the blink of an eye lol

I’m not an expert, but I have to imagine that 40 billion is less than the financial cost of a massive refugee crisis. Ultimately I think that’s the only reason why we pretend to “care” what’s going on over there.

Europe can’t even handle the refugees coming from the Middle East. Could you imagine them trying to help 40+ million people…?

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m not an expert, but I have to imagine that 40 billion is less than the financial cost of a massive refugee crisis. Ultimately I think that’s the only reason why we pretend to “care” what’s going on over there.

Europe can’t even handle the refugees coming from the Middle East. Could you imagine them trying to help 40+ million people…?

Not at all, but at some point I would like the United States government to write a 40B check to the American people and care as much about dumping money into this country as it does playing world police dumping money into others.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Between 2013-2018 we spent $300 billion in foreign aid. The annual average is between $40-$50 billion.

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Between 2013-2018 we spent $300 billion in foreign aid. The annual average is between $40-$50 billion.

I have no issue with spending money to feed and provide medical care and help to underdeveloped nations, but when place like Israel, WHO HAS UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE is getting our money I have to wonder.

like, you can’t have **** I don’t have and still have me give you money.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I have no issue with spending money to feed and provide medical care and help to underdeveloped nations, but when place like Israel, WHO HAS UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE is getting our money I have to wonder.

like, you can’t have **** I don’t have and still have me give you money.

I agree, but more than that, We have a constitutional obligation for our own citizens first period.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I agree, but more than that, We have a constitutional obligation for our own citizens first period.

With stuff like medicinal aid I think it’s reasonably argued that world health is an American citizen issue too.  Disease travels.

Feeding starving people is a rounding error for developed nations at this point.  Starving and hungry people are choice we’re making.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

With stuff like medicinal aid I think it’s reasonably argued that world health is an American citizen issue too.  Disease travels.

Feeding starving people is a rounding error for developed nations at this point.  Starving and hungry people are choice we’re making.

Oh I get it, but when some generic pumps dudes created that are missionaries that are nonprofit to help love their fellow man cost a few hundred dollars, that’s the type of project that you get behind. Clean water, irrigation for crops, sanitation systems with indoor plumbing.

The life expectancy with sanitation systems and clean water almost doubles. Basic stuff. Maybe that $11 billion we paid the UN last year could be better used.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Oh I get it, but when some generic pumps dudes created that are missionaries that are nonprofit to help love their fellow man cost a few hundred dollars, that’s the type of project that you get behind. Clean water, irrigation for crops, sanitation systems with indoor plumbing.

The life expectancy with sanitation systems and clean water almost doubles. Basic stuff. Maybe that $11 billion we paid the UN last year could be better used.

Yeah I think we both agree that whether it’s $1 or $11 billion, the money needs to be utilized better. We get a really bad ROI tbh.  Everybody has to get their cut…

• Like 1