Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Kinda sad the Breaking Bad universe is ending tonight.

One of the GOAT shows and GOAT spin-offs with Better Call Saul.

Amazing 14 years of content.

really cant think of another show that was a spin that flirts with being better than the original. Breaking Bad was amazing but so has Better Call Saul

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

really cant think of another show that was a spin that flirts with being better than the original. Breaking Bad was amazing but so has Better Call Saul

Don’t want to spoil anything for those who couldn’t watch. They nailed the ending and wrapped everything up correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Well, The Simpsons were a spinoff. Frazier, The Jeffersons, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy. Mary Tyler Moore etc...

• Like 1

Not on FB, but wife was reading posts from our developments FB page.  Some woman is goin the #@%#@ off about getting ratted out for having an above ground pool in her backyard.  Proceeded to complain about how the HOA does absolutely nothing, and that there are plenty of other violators of various rules.

None of this can I argue with...It's all correct

However...she then says that whomever was the "Karen" that said something about her pool, probably also voted for Biden...lol.  As if that has anything to do with anything....

Most of the commenters agreed with the majority of what she said, but she received a little push back, and she and her husband continued to rant.

My issue....you moved into a place, where there is an HOA with rules

you chose to ignore the rules

you complain about the rules, AFTER THE FACT OF BREAKING THEM.

I get that plenty of these rules are ridiculous....THEN DON'T MOVE IN THERE....

25 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Not on FB, but wife was reading posts from our developments FB page.  Some woman is goin the #@%#@ off about getting ratted out for having an above ground pool in her backyard.  Proceeded to complain about how the HOA does absolutely nothing, and that there are plenty of other violators of various rules.

However...she then says that whomever was the "Karen" that said something about her pool, probably also voted for Biden...lol.  As if that has anything to do with anything....

Most of the commenters agreed with the majority of what she said, but she received a little push back, and she and her husband continued to rant.

Agree on all of that. HOA are a scam and the history behind them in the suburbs is directly related to the white flight movement in the 50s and 80s.

I would never willfully move into a place that has an HOA for a plethora of reasons, but it’s your responsibility to know the rules first.

I will say that selective enforcement of said rules are frustrating though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Because they knew how to read the HOA rules?

Django Unchained Leonardo GIF

I kid, I kid….

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

It’s really that simple.

We have an HOA, but it’s pretty basic.  More or less just pays for a playground and community maintenance. People can do more or less what they want. Boats in the side yard, on street parking, cult political flags/yard signs year round, in ground pools, above ground pools, kiddie pools lol,  etc.

It works out well enough. People do what they want with their property and their neighbors leave them alone.

I’d probably feel differently if people were letting their homes go into disrepair or had 3 cars on blocks in the front yard or something though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

That is impossible, sounds like this person was alive, hence didn't vote for Biden 😁

-Signed someone on the internet I'm sure

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 7:29 AM, MWil23 said:

Agree on all of that. HOA are a scam and the history behind them in the suburbs is directly related to the white flight movement in the 50s and 80s.

I would never willfully move into a place that has an HOA for a plethora of reasons, but it’s your responsibility to know the rules first.

I will say that selective enforcement of said rules are frustrating though.

So Columbus is filled with new builds as many may know. New neighborhoods popping up all around the city full of 450-750k houses out in the infinite space of farmland all around the 270 loop

We looked into 2-3 of those homes just out of curiosity and some of them quite literally had $350-450 HOA fees per month. So on top of you $2,500 mortgage payment, you are paying hundreds of dollars into HOA.

That and NONE of these neighborhoods allow for fences. That is the most absurd thing ever. The more and more we look, the more I have noticed that 7/10 neighborhoods have no backyard fences. Its all just open space between you and your neighbor. IDK if that is a Columbus thing or a everywhere thing but WHY. Why are HOAs so anti-fence

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

So Columbus is filled with new builds as many may know. New neighborhoods popping up all around the city full of 450-750k houses out in the infinite space of farmland all around the 270 loop

We looked into 2-3 of those homes just out of curiosity and some of them quite literally had $350-450 HOA fees per month. So on top of you $2,500 mortgage payment, you are paying hundreds of dollars into HOA.

And I'd wager 90+% of those require "an approved builder" with "approved building materials" and "an approved style" with "approved colors". It's a giant monopoly scam.

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That and NONE of these neighborhoods allow for fences. That is the most absurd thing ever. The more and more we look, the more I have noticed that 7/10 neighborhoods have no backyard fences. Its all just open space between you and your neighbor. IDK if that is a Columbus thing or a everywhere thing but WHY. Why are HOAs so anti-fence

HOA are anti fence to "ensure beauty and aesthetic" and uniformity (types of fences, building materials, etc.) of a neighborhood. It would just be a shame if someone dared have a chainlink fence, another person a horse fence, and another person an 8 foot vertical privacy fence all within the same 3 house perimeter. 

Oh, and annually in this country, HOA make $85 Billion each year.

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And I'd wager 90+% of those require "an approved builder" with "approved building materials" and "an approved style" with "approved colors". It's a giant monopoly scam.

HOA are anti fence to "ensure beauty and aesthetic" and uniformity (types of fences, building materials, etc.) of a neighborhood. It would just be a shame if someone dared have a chainlink fence, another person a horse fence, and another person an 8 foot vertical privacy fence all within the same 3 house perimeter. 

Oh, and annually in this country, HOA make $85 Billion each year.

lol its truly insane. We pay $75 a year for snow plow even though we are in Columbus city limits and the city plows our roads and for the 'upkeep of the entrance way' which includes a 6x2 ft mulch bed with a wooden sign of our neighborhood in it. There are probably 300ish homes in the neighborhood. The HOA gets paid 22-25k per year from fees from all of the houses to maintain a mulch bed and a wooden sign.

For the fences, why dont they just say you can have fences, but they have to be this 1 style to keep uniformity? #galaxybrain

Edited by AkronsWitness

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol its truly insane. We pay $75 a year for snow plow even though we are in Columbus city limits and the city plows our roads and for the 'upkeep of the entrance way' which includes a 6x2 ft mulch bed with a wooden sign of our neighborhood in it. There are probably 300ish homes in the neighborhood. The HOA gets paid 22-25k per year from fees from all of the houses to maintain a mulch bed and a wooden sign.

TL;DR

HOA's are almost always a SCAM.

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

For the fences, why dont they just say you can have fences, but they have to be this 1 style to keep uniformity? #galaxybrain

Because of an entity has the opportunity to have totalitarian control of your life and keep whomever they want out, they'll capitalize.

Plus, they would have to enforce material, specific type, length, width, vertical vs. horizontal, height, depth of post-hole dug, how level it is, and the color.

And TBH, 90% of the time it's because they DEMAND viewable access to YOUR PROPERTY. They don't want you to sneak in something like an above ground pool on them, or an unapproved shed or other outdoor landscape fixtures that they can't monitor and enforce/fine 24/7.