Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Moral of the story, if some loudmouth wants to pick a fight and you have a wife and kids, walk away it’s not worth it. People are stupid.

I’ve been saying this a lot lately 

Here is the line for average intelligence 

————————————————

Imagine how many people are down here 

• Like 1

Hell man, last night, I was never as nervous about weather as I was. Tornado warnings. Get the notifications to head to the basement. Watching the news as we are down stairs and they are predicting the potential path if it touches down and it was right where we living. Not just the city but like within 5miles of us. In the basement, quickly prepared and bunked down. Watched the news on our phones. Sat down their for 30mins until they said the weather front passed us. It was crazy! Started to see pictures of the cloud formations that were in the area and one that was maybe 2miles from Us and I was surprised there wasn’t one.

i don’t know how people could live in tornado ally or places prone for them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Columbus City Schools teachers are on strike. I don’t blame them at all.

They’re on strike because they want AC in their buildings and the buildings are also full of mold.

To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find too many educators right now who wouldn't light a few grand on fire for the sake of smaller classes, more supports with administrators and parents, and reasonable working and learning conditions for themselves and students. I can't begin to describe the plethora of frustrations right now.

• Like 2

One of the real reasons that Columbus city teachers are on strike is that they are demanding an 8% raise. With negotiations, their counter was 7%. So, they are publicizing some of the building conditions, which are absolutely legitimate, but they are also being greedy at the expense of the kids. Nobody is really the good guy right now. Basically the teachers have an underlying thing they are trying to get out of it and are putting some political reasons out there to the public. 

I have read that teachers are leaving the profession left and right.  There is a shortage in the 100,000's range nationwide.  It would seem that with the need to retain teachers, and recruit newer ones' to the profession, that perhaps theses districts need to take the demands of these union employees a little more seriously.

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I have read that teachers are leaving the profession left and right.  There is a shortage in the 100,000's range nationwide.  It would seem that with the need to retain teachers, and recruit newer ones' to the profession, that perhaps theses districts need to take the demands of these union employees a little more seriously.

300,000 teachers nationwide since 2020. We need major reform on a lot of fronts that surpasses partisan agendas. Retirement age and years of service keeps getting pushed back while the pension percentage keeps getting lower.

STRS is getting audited for lack of transparency and poor investments with bad faith.

It used to be 30 years at 88% and now it’s 35 at 77%.

Parents and students in many cases are completely out of control. Class sizes grow each year. Facilities are in complete disarray. Teachers keep being asked to do more and more. 

I have it good in my district as a whole but I even am close to leaving and finding some cushy job elsewhere for comparable to better pay. 

And that doesn’t even scratch the surface of this statistic:

A nationwide study showed that teachers make 14% less on average than their professional counterparts with the same education and years of experience (per hour for those of you “you get summers off” types).

The study goes on to show that over the last 25 years, teacher pay is up $29 per week. Other professionals pay is up $445 per week in the same time frame.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://www.ceaohio.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/CEA-Master-Agreement-2019_2022.pdf?scrlybrkr=b43deb64

P.33 is class Size which is a total of 180 students a day, which is 30 kids per class times 6 classes. That's completely untenable.

P.35 is class load (preps taught) which is a maximum of 3, which is reasonable

P. 83 and 85 are salary schedules and language through P.87, which is relatively fair, albeit the Ph.D. column should be a Masters +45 IMO.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:25 AM, big poppa pump said:

I’d argue there’s not as bad of a teacher’s shortage to be honest.  Plenty of folks willing and able, they just leave the profession because they can make more money working at Walmart and don’t have to deal with the bullsht.

The issue is really that we as a country don’t value education.  Until that changes, neither will the teacher shortage. Like, if you’re going to require a BA and then a masters within 5 years, you’re gonna need to pay me more than 35-40k as a starting salary.  That hasn’t been a decent starting wage since like ‘95.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:10 AM, NateDawg said:

One of the real reasons that Columbus city teachers are on strike is that they are demanding an 8% raise. With negotiations, their counter was 7%. So, they are publicizing some of the building conditions, which are absolutely legitimate, but they are also being greedy at the expense of the kids. Nobody is really the good guy right now. Basically the teachers have an underlying thing they are trying to get out of it and are putting some political reasons out there to the public. 

If people cared about the kids and their education they wouldn’t have them sitting in hot arse buildings full of mold. 

Also, I have a hard time accepting anyone working a job that requires a bachelors/masters and makes half of what my illiterate *** does is being greedy.  Just my opinion…

On 8/24/2022 at 7:37 AM, MWil23 said:

The study goes on to show that over the last 25 years, teacher pay is up $29 per week. Other professionals pay is up $445 per week in the same time frame.

lol that’s funny.  I’ve felt for a while that teachers seem to make the same as when I was in high school, and this would actually prove that. That’s wild af.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

lol that’s funny.  I’ve felt for a while that teachers seem to make the same as when I was in high school, and this would actually prove that. That’s wild af.

It's even adjusted for inflation. Truly remarkable stuff.

And those who don't know that it's even taken into account that we/they are paid by the contracted day is comical. We don't get "paid summers off". I'm paid every other week even through the summer because it's spread out that way based upon my daily rate.