Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll never understand the appeal of spending $750k on a house in a subdivision that’s right next to some other schmuck’s house.

If I had 750k to spend on a house, I’d buy a bit of property for 200k and build a 500k home.

Who on earth likes having neighbors up their arse?

I've lived in neighborhoods pretty much my whole life until the last 2 years. I get taking care of land isn't for everyone, but I love my 2 acre plot and a handful of neighbors within a 1/2 mile.

Even if it's not "for you", that's the way to go...buy some land and even plant a bunch of trees and convert it into woods you don't need to keep up with if you don't want to landscape and mow. 

I don't get the "Big City Vibe Suburbs Edition" feel that a lot of these communities are going with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll never understand the appeal of spending $750k on a house in a subdivision that’s right next to some other schmuck’s house.

If I had 750k to spend on a house, I’d buy a bit of property for 200k and build a 500k home.

Who on earth likes having neighbors up their arse?

Our realtor showed us houses when we were looking called......lifestyle community homes? Maybe? They were all free standing normal houses, but they were built 5-10 ft. apart. I could seriously stand between two houses and reach out and touch both of them.

Thats when I told my realtor we need to have another talk about what we are looking for lol

Doing your idea is great in theory, until you have to drive 20 mins to run a simple errand because you arnt located near anything. Thats what I cant get past. Trying to find a place that is close to things to do but at the same time has some space where the houses are not on top of eachother is impossible. Thats more of a northern Ohio thing, everything is central Ohio is built ontop of eachother unless you want to live out in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Our realtor showed us houses when we were looking called......lifestyle community homes? Maybe? They were all free standing normal houses, but they were built 5-10 ft. apart. I could seriously stand between two houses and reach out and touch both of them.

Thats when I told my realtor we need to have another talk about what we are looking for lol

Theyre all over man.  Either people must love them or they just don’t care.

And like, they’re not cheap.  It’s a half a million plus to be able to high five your neighbor from out your windows.  

Hard pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Doing your idea is great in theory, until you have to drive 20 mins to run a simple errand because you arnt located near anything. Thats what I cant get past. Trying to find a place that is close to things to do but at the same time has some space where the houses are not on top of eachother is impossible. Thats more of a northern Ohio thing, everything is central Ohio is built ontop of eachother unless you want to live out in the middle of nowhere.

I live 20-25 minutes away from most places I need to run errands. I personally love it…I’ve just learned to run them after work or on weekends. Sometimes it’s frustrating when I’m doing a house project but other than that it’s great.

Getting excited about college football around the corner. Was looking at a montage and saw this play. It’s still the most insane ending I’ve ever seen to a game. Georgia fans had to feel truly cursed seeing this live.

That was exactly a week before this:

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 3:26 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I watch this guy's youtube channel from time to time.  He is a NYC based realtor, and looks at apartments all over the different boroughs.  I have no intention of living in NYC, or even ever visiting again.  I spent 6 months as an exchange student in Sao Paulo Brasil in the early 80's (about double the size of NYC), and I didn't feel anywhere as intimiated by the city as I did spending 4 days in NYC in 1995.  (I did get to see Laura Linney in an off Broadway play, and became a big fan.)  

Ok, back to the realtor guy.  I watch as I'm just curious, often shaking my head in disbelief, about what people are renting and living in in NYC.  Can't believe the cost either.  Amazing how much they "live on top" of one another.  I could never do it.

I'm with @LETSGOBROWNIES about having the big piece of land and the house on it.  Not in the budget, but if it was, that'd be the route I'd go.

12 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I watch this guy's youtube channel from time to time.  He is a NYC based realtor, and looks at apartments all over the different boroughs.  I have no intention of living in NYC, or even ever visiting again.  I spent 6 months as an exchange student in Sao Paulo Brasil in the early 80's (about double the size of NYC), and I didn't feel anywhere as intimiated by the city as I did spending 4 days in NYC in 1995.  (I did get to see Laura Linney in an off Broadway play, and became a big fan.)  

Ok, back to the realtor guy.  I watch as I'm just curious, often shaking my head in disbelief, about what people are renting and living in in NYC.  Can't believe the cost either.  Amazing how much they "live on top" of one another.  I could never do it.

I'm with @LETSGOBROWNIES about having the big piece of land and the house on it.  Not in the budget, but if it was, that'd be the route I'd go.

Who wouldn’t want to pay 2500 a month plus utilities  for a 300 Sq foot loft apartment 

• Like 1

Living in a big city like NYC LA or Chicago adds some good things too.  I mean you are usually able to walk anywhere you want to eat, drink, shop, etc. You also get the “cool” experience when talking to people out of town.  Single I would have loved to live in a big city for a few years.  With a family and where I am now I’m looking for land.  Even if that means keeping our burbs house for the schools and we go there for long weekends. 

• Like 1